So... a 4 cylinder GT-R?

Your stop for everything on Nissan's performance brand. Whether you're looking for info on the new Sentra NISMO concept, the GT-R NISMO, 370Z NISMO, or just some of the many NISMO branded parts - You're in the right place.
RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Yes, as a matter of fact, one certain GT-R does exist.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCoVtsH7y-s[/youtube]

A 2 liter, direct-injected, turbocharged four-cylinder is going to carry the GT-R through the Japan Super GT series. This. Is. Wicked.
Carscoops wrote:For the 2014 season of Japan’s Super GT series, technical regulations (excluding engines) have become partially aligned with those of the DTM (German Touring car Masters), which means Nissan has to modify the GT-R Nismo racer to comply with the new rules.

All cars competing in the series will have to have common monocoque, transmission, brakes, dampers and fuel tank.

Competing in the GT500 class, the Nissan GT-R Nismo GT500 looks as fierce as one would expect given its name, but differs significantly from its road-going alter ego in the engine compartment.

While the street-legal GT-R Nismo is powered by a 592hp (600PS) 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine, the GT-R Nismo GT500 sources its power from a turbocharged direct-injected 2.0-liter four-cylinder unit codenamed NR20A.

Nissan doesn’t say how much power this unit produces, but judging from the way the engine pulls it’s obviously more than enough to wow spectators. Furthermore, the racing GT-R Nismo is rear-wheel drive and should be a lot lighter than the road-going model.
Who's for an engine swap?

lne937s
Car: 2012 Nissan Juke SL AWD

I wonder if this will share its basic construction with the DIG-T R in the ZEOD, with 4 cylinders instead of 3.

RicerX

Welcome to NICO! I am going to do a but more digging but it sounds like the same design philosophy at least.

What I look forward to is, especially with the ZEOD's engine, this technology making it into production cars in some form.

lne937s

I am hoping the two are similar in construction. If you look closely at the ZEOD engine, it is clear that they are using a unitized head and cylinder block with a separate crankcase.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv1hWjzjgMc[/youtube]

The last time we saw that configuration in auto racing in a meaningful way was with the Offenhauser (aka, America's greatest racing engine). If you throw in the Miller it was derived from, it dominated American open wheel racing for half a century. From my understanding, the configuration is inherently lighter/stronger and more reliable. If you think about the forces at play and the cooling needs, splitting the engine so that the combustion happens in one piece of the engine and the conversion of reciprocation to rotation happens in another just makes more sense than splitting the combustion chamber.

However, it is more difficult to cast and machine and you basically have to take the engine apart to access the valves, so the configuration largely went away in the late '70's. However, now that we have computers to control the machining and engines have become more reliable, many of the drawbacks are no longer as significant. It would be awesome to see this configuration come back with all the latest technology and finally make it into a mass-produced engine.

I also have a feeling that the ZEOD engine could actually make more HP than what they listed if they took the limiters off, as endurance racing engines tend to run a little conservative. Add in the greater balance of a 4 cylinder, and a 2l of the same configuration could make some serious power.
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix link

RicerX

Fantastic insight. That's a very interesting video.

lne937s

still no details on the engine, but based on google translate, this is going to be a fast car
Afternoon free practice of manufacturers test the first day, mark the 290km / h machine platform is of GT500 class most in the road surface temperature rises. GT-R vigor topped the Among them, race a high speed of this season is expected. 23 MOTUL AUTECH GT-R # has finished the manufacturer test the first day of the fourth fastest in the GT-R urges top-level result. What deployment or waiting tomorrow.
You will be able to greet the opening game with a good result I'm sure.
https://www.facebook.com/NissanMS/posts/753455198000953

all 4 GTR teams (12, 23, 24, 46) are in the top 5 cars in testing

http://www.supergt.net/pages/pg:news_de ... 0/id:13684

RicerX

Excited to see more details come about with this thing. Pretty awesome engineering.

WRXhockey
Car: '11 Subaru WRX STi satin white pearl

So...who's up for a trip to Japan to see that guy in action?

RicerX

I'm in! And welcome aboard!

Pretty sure I know you from somewhere.........

lne937s

WRXhockey wrote:So...who's up for a trip to Japan to see that guy in action?
I'm in too (wife is a flight attendant and I fly for free...). Do you have an inside track on getting behind the scenes access? Really want to check out that engine.

WRXhockey

Pretty sure I know you from somewhere.........
Maybe it's due to us being friends since we were little kids? haha
Do you have an inside track on getting behind the scenes access? Really want to check out that engine.
haha I wish! That'd make for a hell of a vacation. You really can't go wrong with a turbo'd four banger. ;)

lne937s

These cars are fast. Much faster than the previous V8 cars. All of the GT500 cars qualified seconds faster than the previous course record, which dated all the way back to 2004. I really want to take a look at that engine...

(forgive my video posting, hopefully one of the links below will work)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avRwvxq8 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun May 04, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lne937s

BTW, it looks like a good option for a race if anyone wanted to go would be Suzuka over Labor Day weekend. It is a 1000 km race and tickets are 5700 yen (about $50) on sale Jun 21. Staying near the downtown Nagoya train station (about 50 min from the track via JR) seems pretty reasonable (under $100 per night).

http://www.suzukacircuit.jp/supergt_s/

WRXhockey

That sounds totally awesome...too bad there's this pesky trouble of me getting a plane ticket to Japan (plus the leave I'd need to use from work). Darn that trip to Europe I'm taking over Christmas later this year.

lne937s

So the GT500 GTR's took the first 3 spots in qualifying. Now that weather is looking better, we should get a better idea of how they do in a race. I really want to get a look at that NR20A...

The GT-R also took the top qualifying spot in GT300, so it is shaping up to be a good weekend for Nissan. Does anybody know where you can watch Super GT races here in the US?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUIJ3w6iG0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sz6GpuRW6Y[/youtube]

Fuji Speedway GT500 RESULT: Total
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun May 04, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lne937s

So the Calsonic GT-R went from pole to win the race. Was watching the highlights with Talladega in the background... wish we could watch Super GT (translated) here

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKqn3jBv ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Looks like it runs on JSports 4. Anyone know a safe site to stream it on?

Kind of crazy to think about 4 cylinder GT-Rs in GT500 and with V8 Prius in GT300
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun May 04, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WRXhockey

Is there not a way to watch streams of the GT races here in the US via the power of the internet? Translated or not, it'd still be pretty cool to watch a race like that.

lne937s

The GT500 GT-R's swept the podium last week. That NR20A must be quite the powerhouse. Still waiting for Nissan to give us a look under the hood.

lne937s

So, the #23 team just won the GT500 championship... I really want to see that engine.

http://www.nissan-motorsports.com/ENN/P ... 14089.html

RicerX

Wow...

I wonder why it's so seemingly hush-hush?

lne937s

I came across some images from a couple of Japanese magazines

From Motor Fan Illustrated

Pretty low resolution and not available for google to translate the text. According to someone on another blog, the Motor Fan puts the output at 590 hp... which is pretty impressive for a compact 2l 4 cylinder. These cars also qualify at Fuji faster than WEC-spec P2 cars and only slightly behind the LMP1-h cars, meaning they are also faster than the IMSA cars here in the US. It is hard to tell much from the images, other than this looking like a very compact engine, probably a stressed member, optimized for low CoG, etc. Too hard to tell if this shares the unitized block and head construction with the ZEOD.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If it's a 4 liter four cylinder, ok.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Whats the snail in the lower right? Roots oil pump?

edutop
Car: frontier

It really is very impressive. State-of-the-art technology for true GT-R.

Return to “NISMO”