Snap in TPMS fell off with aftermarket wheels

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Domspun
Car: Nissan Rogue

I have 2016 Rogue and when I got my summer wheels (RTX brand) installed, I couldn't get my TPMS programmed anywhere, even my brother whose a Infiniti mechanic couldn't do it. Also around the same time, I started to hear a metallic clunk while driving at low speed. Took it to the dealership because I thought there was a mechanical problem, but only to find out that my 4 TPMS were loose in my tires!! :mad: That's what was making the noise.

Nissan said it's the installer fault, but he also did my winter tires, but they are fine. How could he installed incorrectly 4 out of 8 TPMS and all on the same set? He's a long time Lexus mechanic and my brother's best friend, extremely trustworthy. The Nissan Mechanic told me that he saw those snap-in TPMS loose in tires often, but they always blame the previous installer. Said that they probably knock them out of place while mounting the tire!?!? :wtf2:

So I have 3 broken OEM TPMS , one survived. I opened one to see if it can be fixed and it's the 2 metal tabs holding the battery to the circuit board that snapped. Pretty hard to fix.

Anybody got those snap-in TPMS come loose in aftermarket wheels? Cost me like 750$ (canadian) for all this trouble... :frown: Now, should I re-installed TPMS in the wheels and risk that they fall off again or try to find a replacement with a metal stem? I heard that on most aftermarket wheels you can only put TPMS with metal stem because rubber one flex and there's a possibility that with vibration and bumps, they snap off. :confused:

Any experience with this? Couldn't find anything on google, some close, but nothing like my problem.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hey Domspun, your situation is kind of unique. Do to the rarity, yeah, I'd blame the installer. I get that your guy is great, but did he even do the work himself or was it his co-worker? Is he even in a shop with proper machines? Anyway, TPMS are a wear item and do get replaced every now and then. They are not known to just fall off in tires for no reason. I don't even know what you mean by programming. Either they work or they're the wrong parts (also the fault of the installer if wrong parts go in). There should be a warranty for the work performed, especially at $750. Have it fixed under the warranty.

Domspun
Car: Nissan Rogue

centralcoaster33 wrote:Hey Domspun, your situation is kind of unique. Do to the rarity, yeah, I'd blame the installer. I get that your guy is great, but did he even do the work himself or was it his co-worker? Is he even in a shop with proper machines? Anyway, TPMS are a wear item and do get replaced every now and then. They are not known to just fall off in tires for no reason. I don't even know what you mean by programming. Either they work or they're the wrong parts (also the fault of the installer if wrong parts go in). There should be a warranty for the work performed, especially at $750. Have it fixed under the warranty.
Thanks for the answer. By programming, I mean get them activated ans sync with the car. I'll meet my mechanic next week to check how it came to be and how he can fix it. I know someone was working for him around the time I got the tires installed. I just have a hard time believing somebody could mess up a TPMS installation. The Nissan mechanic showed how to install it and remove it, seems like a no-brainer, but that snap-in mechanism seems very flimsy.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”