snake bite on top - pics

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
pwlorraine
Car: 2009 G37 convertible moon white / stone / auto / sport/premium/nav/tech 2010 EX35 nav/bose/premium/

I've discovered two "dings" on the middle panel of the retracting top - one appeared two days ago - the other today. Both occurred with the top down (in the trunk) - they are in identical positions on both sides. The "ding" looks like a scratch roughly 1/4" long inset into a small dimple - roughly 1" from the front panel and 1" from the rain gutter line. The dimple looks like a typical door ding - you can see it clearly in sunlight. The marks appear to be made when the top is retracted - they roughly align with some structures on the third panel (the glass back). Nothing was in the trunk nor have I driven over any potholes of note.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow - I don't want my top getting marked up whenever I put it down.

Passenger side "ding"<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From g37 convertible snake bite</td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From g37 convertible snake bite</td></tr></table>

Driver's side "ding"<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From g37 convertible snake bite</td></tr></table>

The roof in the partially retracted position showing how the middle panel lines up with the rear window panel.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From g37 convertible snake bite</td></tr></table>

The marks on the top are roughly coincident with the stowed position of the black "flange" here.

Peter
Modified by pwlorraine at 6:20 PM 3/11/2010

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

its built solidly enough to withstand bumps and things. Its quite possible there was something that threw off the operating rails and made it retract off target. Whatever the case, your dealer should take care of it.

pwlorraine
Car: 2009 G37 convertible moon white / stone / auto / sport/premium/nav/tech 2010 EX35 nav/bose/premium/

A more magnified view created by placing a line shadow in the illumination over the "ding" - this magnifies the dimple better than the flat light images I showed earlier.

Peter

mtbkr1030
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

I'll have to watch mine closely, thnx for posting.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I wonder if that happens when the roof is in operation or if the top bounces in the trunk. You would think the ~500lbs of roof would be secured when stowed. Do the dings get any bigger over time, I know some people have been seeing this for a while?

Garnet in Md
Car: 2010 G-37 Garnet Red

New Member Here,
I have had my conv for about 6 weeks. Tried to open the top with a small package in the truck area. Resulted in 2 identical "snake bites".

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

If the above is possibly the cause could someone who has the problem put some chalk or something on it to see if it transfers to the "scratch"?

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”