Smoking Problem

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
RedKap87
Car: 09 Altima Sedan SL

So I have a 2009 nissan altima 2.5l and a while back I noticed a bad smoking problem coming from the engine bay. It was originating from around the top of the motor underneath the plastic cover. So I let it go not thinking anything about it. After a while it got worse to the point when I had my heat on and I pulled in the driveway and the car stopped moving it would suck all of the smoke inside the cabin.

So I finally thought I would do something about it, I took it to a local repair shop and they told me it was a valve cover gasket initially but I saw no oil and my spark plugs were bone dry. So I left it there and the next day I called to see if they had figured out the problem and they said it was the pcv valve ($87.50) which they changed without my consent. So anyways I left with the car and returned home and noticed that it was still smoking.

I thought then maybe it was just left over residue but as I continue to drive it the problem still persists, so I was wondering is anyone having the same problem? If so, could you please give me some advice of what your found or what you think it could be as it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I forgot to mention a few days back before taking it to the shop I crawled up underneath it and oil was collecting on one of the metal pieces under the car, but it was not dripping down just kind of sitting there.

Throckmorton
Car: 2007 Altima

Did you ever replace your leaky valve cover gasket?

RedKap87
Car: 09 Altima Sedan SL

I did not have to, turns out it was the pcv valve and it was replaced. The problem has since then stopped, but if it starts again the valve cover gasket will be the first thing I look at.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”