Smells Rich idles rough Ka24e

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
DJTIRADE
Car: 1990 240sx sohc

hows it going I'm trying to get my 1990 240sx to pass smog in california heres the list of things I've checked out and replaced. it currently idles around 750-850 and Smells really rich and have a feeling like it can run a lot better

New EGR Vacuum Hoses
New 02 Sensor
New Coolant Temp Sensor and Connector
New Fuel Lines and Filter
New Distributor Cap and Rotor
New Spark plugs
New B.P.T Valve
Cleaned IACV
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned Throttle Body
Set Timing at +20
Checked EGR Valve and Tube
Cleaned Metal Vacuum Tube that runs next to the intake that supplies vacuum for EGR
Injectors Seem to be working fine.
Tested Fuel Pressure and got 40Psi at Idle, and 45Psi When disconnecting the vacuum Line to Fuel Pressure regulator, when i manually pump vacuum into regulator it will go down to 34psi. Noticed when i do unplug the vacuum to regulator it smells a little better not as rich.

Checked ECU for codes and got none. Code 55 normal

this is a project car that has been put time and money into over a couple year span. Everything is stock mechanically except an after market exhaust. still has Cat.

took it for a smog a year ago and failed NOX, Cant find the stupid paper with the readings and numbers today though.

Any help with this would be awesome. just need it to be stock and passing smog thanks.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

With the car running, if you shake your wiring harness in the vicinity of the MAF, does the car stumble? I've seen a lot of 240sx's (both SOHC and DOHC) with bad wiring :(

Unplugging a vacuum line or 2 will get more air into the system that isn't metered, so that will lean it out.
Does it run rich while driving too? Or just at idle?

DJTIRADE

I'll try shaking the harness, when I rev it up it smells even more rich, so I'm assuming while driving it would be the same. I'm going to check my vacuum lines one more time to see if it's routed correctly. Noticed I'm not getting any vacuum around my AIV

DJTIRADE

shout out to the 145 views and only one person to reply haha

seems like when i finally drove it after i replaced and cleaned all these parts the car started to run better and smell better (not rich) so ill drive it one more time and see what happens. i need to get this car smogged and sold

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Too bad you don't just have a wideband O2 sensor to see how its doing.

Good luck with the sale!

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”