smell of gas inside my 510/ need help

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
mungee
Car: nissan 240

Everytime I get in my car there's a strong odor of gas inside the car. I've check for any fuel leaking from the tank but every hose is dry. I'm I the only one with this problem or is normal for an old car? I can' t take the smell, any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

generally caused by the vapour lines running above your tank, check all of them.mine were all hard, and brittle

mungee
Car: nissan 240

Is there a certain way to check them and how do I fix it, if that's the problem? thanks.

mipo510
Car: 1970 datsun 510

hmmm....i know u have gas lines running under ur trans tunnel.... right above the driveshaft.....might wanna take a peek there too

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

if its leaky gas vapour there, then just buy some new tube....its not expensive

f.krajewski
Car: nissan stanza

I had the same issue in my '71. The fat (2") hose that feeds from the gas cap fractured. I used a product called "Goop" to effectively "caulk" the wounds. If you could get a friend to safely blow air quietly into the gas tank inlet while you listen in the trunk you should hear hissing at the point of the problem. Good Luck.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”