Smell coming from vent. Anyone else have this prob?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Pashdut
Car: 06' M35

Hey guys,When I open my vents for air circulation in my 06' M35 I get this weird crappy smell. Even when my fan is blowing air in from outside w/out AC on, the smell is there still there but more since the fan is blowing it in the cockpit faster. My friend said he had this problem on his Maxima and it was from fungus growing somewhere in his engine bay but his car is 10 yrs old, and he doesnt think an 06 car would have that problem. Does anyone else have this problem?Any solutions?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

ttsupra26 wrote:Hey guys,When I open my vents for air circulation in my 06' M35 I get this weird crappy smell. Even when my fan is blowing air in from outside w/out AC on, the smell is there still there but more since the fan is blowing it in the cockpit faster. My friend said he had this problem on his Maxima and it was from fungus growing somewhere in his engine bay but his car is 10 yrs old, and he doesnt think an 06 car would have that problem. Does anyone else have this problem?Any solutions?
Hmmm ... there is one story of a guy who had a horrible smell on his 2003 or 2004 M45 - there is a thread on this forum. As I recall, it was particularly bad enough on his that he never got it fixed. But, yours is the first I have heard of in the new M.

So, if no one else responds, I would recommend taking it in to the dealer and ask them to look at the cabin air filter and see what is going on.

Z

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

Not sure what part of thw world your in, and how often you use air conditioning, but the condensation from air conditing can leave an pretty bad smell behind, the good news is, that there is a spray treatment at most automtive stores that you spray into the vents whiles its sucking in air, that kills the germs/mold etc that cause this odor.

I had this bad wet dog like smell in a car about 10 years back and thats what the dealer did to get rid of it;

Granted, the smell should be greatly reduced after using the airconditioning for a little while;

just a thought;

tk

KaizenX
Car: 2004 M45

Hey...just to let you know I have that same smell. To me it is almost like dirty feet or something coming out of the vents.

Now I do not want to alarm you but I'm pretty sure I have a dud car.

- smell coming out of the vent system.- burns two to three quarts of oil per 3,300 miles (only 17,000 miles)- loose driver seat that squeaks - squeaks in the suspention- headlights all over the place- information until/cd/stereo intermitently jumps settings

Small list to start. They have not addressed my smell issue or the above issues so far. When I have something I will let you know.

Today I go to start the car and it would not start until I gave it half throttle and yes I let it sit for 20 or so seconds not to flood the fi system. Then engine produced horrible knocks.

Ok. Venting now but yes I have smell.

Pashdut

Well guys I finally went to the dealer, and the Master Technician said that it could most probobly be just that new car smell since the car hasn't broken in yet even though it did because I have about 4,000 miles on it now......anyway he said just spray something like Febreeze or Lysol in the vents right under the windshield wipers and in the vents under the passenger dashboard (that is where the air get's sucked out of) then to blast your AC while you are spraying so it get's circulated through the car. I told him if there was any spray made for cars like this, and he said any major automotive store (Autozone) should have something called an AC cleaner that kills mold, bacteria and leaves your car smelling fresh when air goes in your cabin. I went to Autozone and they never heard of such a thing.....so I am going to go to Pepboys next. I used something like Lysol and it worked for a few days but I have to re-spray it again for it to stay perm the technician said. Even if you dont have this problem I recommend everyone do this to their cars. When your fan/AC/etc is on you get a really nice fresh smell coming from the vents. Its almost like an automatic Spencer coming from your vents circulating in your cockpit
Modified by ttsupra26 at 2:49 PM 2/3/2006

nicolasj
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 (non-sport)

I used to have a smell coming from the vents when using A/C after it was not used for a while. For example these days I have my cabin temperature set a 70 degrees at night, without using A/C. If I start to get moisture on my windshield, I turn on the front defogger which turns on the A/C automatically. Then I would notice the smell.Now that the car has over 4,000 on it, I can't say this smell is there anymore. But it was never a "dirty feet" smell...

Pashdut

Well it still has not gone away. I am convinced this will be a permanent smell from the vents. I just spray that Lysol freshner once a week, and its not that bad. But it is definately not mold, etc.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”