Small white cloud on Start up Only?!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
xDefault
Car: 1996 240sx Se

Recently purchased a 96 240sx Se automatic. Been driving great but just noticed that on start up it shoots a small white cloud. Haven’t had any issues driving but pretty sure that shouldn’t be happening. My guess is an oil seal. Is this difficult to fix? If so is it expensive? Is my car doomed? I am planning on modding in the future willit hold out till I can buy new engine?

macgiver

mac , just be SUPER VIGILANT with maint. Specifically NOTING oil level & doing changes ; Coolant is known to give white thick cloudy smoke but usually it is a steady - continuing outpouring every where you drive drive so really on a piece of paper NOTE the coolant level periodically ,along with oil dipstick readings to identify "Consumption" . With NO performance issuesand coupled with a future rebuild , the aforementioned "Situation" may well be good for couple of years or even 20k+ mi. :yesnod my .02 cents :gapteeth: G - 2/23/2018

xDefault
Car: 1996 240sx Se

macgiver wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:07 am
mac , just be SUPER VIGILANT with maint. Specifically NOTING oil level & doing changes ; Coolant is known to give white thick cloudy smoke but usually it is a steady - continuing outpouring every where you drive drive so really on a piece of paper NOTE the coolant level periodically ,along with oil dipstick readings to identify "Consumption" . With NO performance issuesand coupled with a future rebuild , the aforementioned "Situation" may well be good for couple of years or even 20k+ mi. :yesnod my .02 cents :gapteeth: G - 2/23/2018
I’ll make sure to keep all that noted. I had my friend drive in front of me for a good 30 miles just to see if I could notice anything weird coming out of the exhaust. So far so good it’s just on start up. I hope your correct and I will continue to make sure it’s properly maintened. I just hope it don’t die on me while Im saving for its 5 speed swap and engine upgrade.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Coolant smoke dissipates quick and smells like antifreeze (sweet).

Likely valve seals/guide issue, they smoke from the accumulated oil migrating into the chamber until the runoff is burned. Depends on how much and the oil level will change slightly so keep checking it. Car may still last a good while yet. Head has to come off to fix it but a few adventurous souls change them alone engine still together (not fun at all) and don't do any repair work to guides with varying results.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”