Small Mouth Bass

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
mchell

Anyone have any tips for catching river smallmouth bass? Since I don't have waders, I am thinking I will be back in the river in Spring.

yangs13
Car: 1993 240sx-Dead, 2001 Maxima

smallies like rocky bottoms with some current, look for areas of a lot of structure like trees, drop offs, and rock piles. back water (eddies) near faster current is a prime spot

most smallies are caught on typical bass baits: spinner baits, jerk baits, plastics, jigs, etc. but can be caught on almost anything else- i've caught them bobber fishing for panfish.

use lighter gear if possible ( makes it a lot of fun when fighting). i like a 6'6" medium action spinning rod with 6-8 lb. line

mchell

Currently I fish in a river so i am constantly standing and walking, my choice of tools, unltra light rod and reel (6 lb line) with a cp swing lure. I catch everything from small-large mouth bass, perch, panfish and even trout. AWESOME lures!!!! The toughest fish I have caught was an 11inch small mouth on this combo, still believe he didn't break the line.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Damn I want to go fishing now!! The Steelheads we get near the coast in Northwest Oregon are insane.

yangs13
Car: 1993 240sx-Dead, 2001 Maxima

ScorchedNX2K wrote:Damn I want to go fishing now!! The Steelheads we get near the coast in Northwest Oregon are insane.
so ready for open water...fly fishing for trout and jigging for walleyes...

Return to “The Great Outdoors”