Sluggish on hills and original

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
jnye74
Car: 1999 Nissan Altima GXE, 305,000 miles, beige/beige

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum! I am having an accelerating and hill climbing issue with my Altima of 13 years. The past year, it has gotten more difficult to climb hills and in general accelerate. Especially this year, I have many hills I have to climb back and forth to work every day. My biggest problem is I am not ready to depart from my Nissan. I was hoping to get another year or so out of her. I understand that yes, my car is 21 years old with the original engine and that as they age it loses compression.

I talked with a local repair shop and they are confident that this issue is either the torque converter in the tranny or the timing chain. The normal maintenance has been performed on my Nissan the past year including the spark plugs, distributor, wires, and normal tune-up. I would like to confirm that the problem is more costly than the price of the vehicle. Is this a torque converter in the transmission or is it the timing chain? Any help with this is greatly appreciated because my vehicle has been with me through thick and thin. Thank you!
Attachments
2019-04-30 20.08.51.jpg

jnye74
Car: 1999 Nissan Altima GXE, 305,000 miles, beige/beige

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum! I am having an accelerating and hill climbing issue with my Altima of 13 years. The past year, it has gotten more difficult to climb hills and in general accelerate. Especially this year, I have many hills I have to climb back and forth to work every day. My biggest problem is I am not ready to depart from my Nissan. I was hoping to get another year or so out of her. I understand that yes, my car is 21 years old with the original engine and that as they age it loses compression.

I talked with a local repair shop and they are confident that this issue is either the torque converter in the tranny or the timing chain. The normal maintenance has been performed on my Nissan the past year including the spark plugs, distributor, wires, and normal tune-up. I would like to confirm that the problem is more costly than the price of the vehicle. Is this a torque converter in the transmission or is it the timing chain? Any help with this is greatly appreciated because my vehicle has been with me through thick and thin. Thank you!
Attachments
2019-04-30 20.08.51.jpg

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”