slip light comes on when it snows [SOLVED - changed brakes]

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
nabm37x
Car: infiniti m37x 2011

I have purchased my M37x 2011 in November and last month I started having a problem with it. it was snowing outside and the slip light came on and the car starting vibrating and having no power when accelerating... I contacted my mechanic he told me to shut down the car wait for 5 min and start it back.. the light came out and everything was perfect... until it snowed again and the light came again but this time I had a grounding noise like something vibrating to a metal surface when I put the car to drive.. the sound goes away as soon as the rpm reaches 1-1.5....

I saw a lot of people on internet that had the same prob but didn't seem to know what was the cause of it

anyone knows what the problem could be?

*its only the slip light that comes on, no other lights*

Thanks in advance

nabm37x

I would like to add that my brakes are very low since I bought the car. im planning to change them this month, could it be related?

EdBwoy

It is not a problem. The car is doing exactly what it should do when the traction control system kicks in. See an example in the video below.
These are some pointers on how you can avoid this situation:
1. Drive with a lighter foot, especially when moving from a stop
2. Use the "SNOW" mode of your drive mode selector
3. Make sure your tires are healthy. Even the smartest systems can't do much with poor traction.
4. Turn your VDC button off and it will stop cutting power (not advisable, again refer to video below)

John2
Car: 2013 M37x

Is it only coming on when you are accelerating or on the gas? Or is it coming on and staying, even with the car in park?

nabm37x

once it comes in, it dosent go away! i know that the light should come in when its slippy, but it should come off..

EdBwoy

nabm37x wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:04 pm
once it comes in, it dosent go away! i know that the light should come in when its slippy, but it should come off..
OK, I missed that part in your prior posts.

And I'm not in a position to check my car, but does your instrument cluster actually have a SLIP light that says "slip"? I believe you should have the car + squiggly lines behind it, which is the VDC status icon.
If that car + squiggly lines icon is the one that comes on and stays ON, then it is a malfunction that is best troubleshot by a dealership... unless you would like to try one of the free checks/tests I mentioned earlier:
1. Drive with a lighter foot, especially when moving from a stop
2. Use the "SNOW" mode of your drive mode selector
3. Make sure your tires are healthy. Even the smartest systems can't do much with poor traction.
4. Turn your VDC button off and it will stop cutting power (not advisable, again refer to video below)

John2
Car: 2013 M37x

May or may not be helpful, but check the brake fluid level. I had trouble lights come on and stay on with my previous car (M35x) when brake fluid was low. Slightly different symptoms, though... I think it was the slip + ABS lights. Can't hurt to check, though.

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

Great advice guys

That's exactly what I was going to say.

If you're low on fluid and there are no leaks change your brakes

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

you need to get the codes read. most likely traction codes will be stored in the ABS module. Slip light staying on means it has detected a fault.

nabm37x

hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I changed the brakes, and the problem have gotten away.. I hope! my mechanic told me the fact that the brakes were really bad might caused the issue! thanks everyone!

EdBwoy

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to get it solved.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”