Slightly too bouncy a ride?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
TreyhunnaM37x
Car: M37x

13 m37x with 62k. Standard 18 wheels at 32-33psi
Car seem a lil more bouncy than it should.
Its fine on highway, but city/suburban driving feels like i feel every slight dip or groove in road.
Hard bumps are ok. (Like the bump/curb at the end of my driveway) Nice and solid, no added bounce or clunking.
I came from a chrysler 300 which i know isnt as sporty but it road alot smoother, and had alot more miles on it.
Any suggestions. Any typical culprits at this milage?

beachbum718
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 S

Fyi shocks on any car are only good for 40k...but these cars tend to have a sportier ride .well atleast the sport version does.ive never been in the x model.but my sport drives smooth

TreyhunnaM37x

Really 40k? I dont think ive ever did my struts that early

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

i drove 2006 and 2008 pass 100,000 without changing suspension parts , maybe ask the dealer to try a different m and compare suspension issues

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

There are many factors that contribute to shocks and struts needing to be replaced including road conditions, vehicle use, weather conditions, mileage, additional stress from various modifications, etc. Generally, the only people that want everyone to replace all shocks/struts at a fixed millages are their manufacturers and shady shops. I would not replace them until they fail and need to be replaced.

Failed struts are commonly diagnosed by excessive bouncing after a bump or dip (up and down several times like an old Cadillac), excessive nose-dive when braking, and tire cupping (odd tire wear). Also leaks, creaks, etc.
TreyhunnaM37x wrote:13 m37x with 62k. Standard 18 wheels at 32-33psi
Car seem a lil more bouncy than it should... feels like I feel every slight dip or groove in road.
Sounds like you are describing a rough ride more than a bouncy one. I can tell you that my 160K 02 Lexus GS on lowering springs and 19's rode about the same as my 64K 11' M56 on OE non-sport suspension and 18's did. These cars have a much more 'sporty' ride compared to other luxury cars. Communicating the road surface to the driver is part of that sportiness I think.

That said I think too rough, bouncy, or smooth are all very relative and vary wildly from one person to the next. Getting in and driving an equivalent second car, if possible, is not a bad idea.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

TreyhunnaM37x wrote:Really 40k? I dont think ive ever did my struts that early
I agree. 40k seems much too low ... most should go to 75k pretty easily. Changing at 100k would be a good maximum (as long as they weren't shot or leaking by then, of course!).

The gradual deterioration over miles is imperceptible ... till you change the shocks at (75k or higher) and then you feel a world of a difference! Handling and normal behavior comes back to life. :yesnod

Z

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

TreyhunnaM37x wrote:13 m37x with 62k. Standard 18 wheels at 32-33psi
Your tire pressure is just a tad too low. I would recommend upping it to 34, or even 36 psi (same all four wheels).

This will not change your "bounciness" too much, indeed it may make a ride a little bit harsher, but it will wear a lot better and be a lot safer since the tire load index will be closer to what our heavy cars ought to be used at.

Next thing I might recommend is a softer set of sidewall tires - maybe you would prefer a Grand Touring tire (as long as the load index is 94 or higher and its speed index is H or higher) and see if that changes things a bit.

Z

TreyhunnaM37x

Thanks guys. I'll look into increasing the tire pressure and make a touring tire. Also might test drive a another M with less miles

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”