Slight rattle noise when re-engaging clutch

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
srtwifu
Car: 2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo

Hello All!

I have a 2017 Sentra SR Turbo 6M. I purchased this car with 27,xxx miles (it is now at 29,xxx) but the first 27,xxx miles of its life were very hard. The trans was diagnosed as bad and replaced with a new Nissan unit by the local Nissan dealer. Luckily, the after-purchase warranty from the dealer I used covered this.

Now that I have it back, and it isn't grinding whilst shifting gears, I hear that there is a slight rattle noise just as I re-engage the clutch. It is more apparent in the lower gears. Is this a normal sound for these cars, or is there perhaps still something wrong with the trans. This only occurs during the process of re-engaging the clutch, not while is is disengaged or while driving with it engaged.

I did search, but wasn't able to find any threads with any information (if I missed something, feel free to flame me haha). Thank you all for your help!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's most likely the throw-out bearing. The TO spins up almost instantly when the clutch is pushed but must "coast" to a stop when the clutch is released, so they often make perceptible noise only with the latter.

srtwifu

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:42 pm
It's most likely the throw-out bearing.
Thank you for the informative reply. When it fails, does it just cause a non-drivable condition, or does it ruin other things as well? In a perfect world, I would have a few weeks to research and order a better clutch and so forth so that I can do everything while it is apart. But, if it is risking catastrophic damage, it would be worth having it apart twice.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's only a catastrophe if it comes completely apart, but they rarely do that. If it seizes it will gradually eat away at the tips of the leaves on the clutch, but you'll usually get much nastier noises if it starts doing that.

srtwifu

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:20 am
It's only a catastrophe if it comes completely apart, but they rarely do that. If it seizes it will gradually eat away at the tips of the leaves on the clutch, but you'll usually get much nastier noises if it starts doing that.
Solid. Thank you for the help. Parts are on the way and she seems to be holding up fine in the meantime.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”