Slight popping noise coming from under vehicle

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
Rudy045
Car: 2014 Nissan Altima

Anyone have a slight popping noise that sounds like it’s coming from somewhere in the front middle of your vehicle?
The noise occurred when either accelerating or decelerating, it was just loud enough to be noticeable and irritating over time.

Ours started about two months ago and after much troubleshooting I discovered some loose bolts on 2014 Altima with 80,000 miles,
I’ve ran across one other Altima owner in our area with the same problem.

The bolts in question are under the front mid section of the car and attach the front subframe to the body, five of the bolts have a 16mm head and the sixth is a 21mm head.
They were tight enough to keep things together but just loose enough to make the popping noise.

For what it’s worth I wanna pass this along in case someone else is experiencing the same problem and can catch it before it gets worse.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Those rear subframe bushings (the 21mm bolts) are actually a common cause of suspension popping, but not because of looseness. On the gen5 Alties there's just enough room above the bushing tube for a small stone to get trapped between the bushing and the body. I've seen several where a rock fell out when the gusset plates (your 16mm's) were removed and the back of the subframe allowed to drop. Typically they cause a loud but intermittent pop upon braking. If you live in a rural area and regularly traverse gravel or dirt, it's something to be aware of.

Rudy045
Car: 2014 Nissan Altima

Thanks for the information, oddly enough ours didn’t occur while braking, just with mild acceleration or deceleration.
I’ll have to get it on a lift and check for the rocks since we do live in a rural area and gravel roads.
Two of the five 16mm ones on the drivers side were fairly loose, I got nearly a full turn on them when tightening down.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”