Sliding Rear Window Question

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
RavenS13
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 Std Cab 2.4L

Hello everyone. I picked up an 85 720 last year from an elderly neighbor that had been neglecting it and basically letting it rot away. I got it up and running fairly well, and have been driving it around the farm a bit. However, this brings me to my question...

When I got the truck, said neighbor (an engineer...) had apparently broken the rear window at some point and had fashioned a replacement out of some very thin plexiglass. This needed to be replaced if the truck was going to be driven on the roads. I started looking at sliding window kits online as the truck has no A/C, the more ventilation the better, right?

My father was at a local salvage yard and they happened to have a similar year truck with a sliding glass. They removed it for him and he brought it home. I finally went to install the window today with a new WBL1988 gasket, the gasket appears to be too large for the window, and no amount of pulling with string and pushing against it will make it seat in the opening with the gasket. I checked the gasket without the window installed and I can make it fit, so I do not think it is the wrong gasket. This window also has holes in the mounting flange like it took screws? I wasn't able to see the truck it was removed from.

I see that the CRL kits are designed to work with the original gasket. Were there other aftermarket kits that installed in other ways? Is this what I may have ended up with? Is it possible this is for an older truck? I believe the King Cab had a larger rear window so I don't think that's what the issue us. Any insight for me? I've searched all over the place and find very little insight into this issue.

Thanks!

RavenS13

Here's the window in question.

Poor gasket/seal fitment

However the gasket does fit the truck, with some work...

drumaniac3000
Car: 1986 720 4x4

Not sure if it will help or not but I took a photo of my OE Nissan slider. Looking at yours it appears to have more rounded corners than the OE part so it may very well be an aftermarket kit or from another model truck entirely. Any chance it is from a 86+ Hardbody truck?

RavenS13

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up ordering a CR Lawrence kit for the truck and got it installed yesterday. It fit without issue so I'm definitely leaning towards this being for a newer truck or another make/model entirely. I think what happened is that the salvage yard had this thing on a shelf either improperly labeled or they grabbed the wrong one. Side by side comparison with the CRL unit, it is VERY similar but the taper at the sides is different, the CRL is more arched at the top, and the slider portions are very different sizes.

Return to “Datsun 720”