Sleepy Eyed Pop Up Headlight Modification

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

This article will show you how to modify your pop up headlights to look half open for the highly sought after sleepy eye look.

Disclaimer- Modifying your headlights in this manner is not legal in most areas and you should check your local laws before performing this procedure.

Skill Level4 of 5

Time Required1-2hrs

Tools and Hardware Needed

-Drill

-Wire strippers/crimpers

-2 Pair of small driving/fog lamps

-Machine screws w/ nuts, and washers

-2 Pieces of .75 or 1inch 1/8in thick flat steel or aluminum strap/stock

-Screwdrivers

-Hack saw (or sawzall)

-File (or grinder) (to clean up the edges u cut)

-10mm socket with ratchet and extension

-one toggle switch OPTIONAL*

-pop rivets/rivet gun OPTIONAL*

-sheet of bendable plastic

ProcedureTaking out old Headlight

Note:You may want to remove the bumper for this...It helps

1. First raise your headlights

2. Remove the 4 black screws on each side of the headlight unit... detaching the black plastic shroud covering the sides are outer rim of the headlight assembly

3. Next you want to take your ratchet and remove the 4 10mm bolts that hold on the headlight assembly covers(tops) and place these aside with the shrouds.

4. You'll see now the way the headlight is held into place. Remove the adjustment screws with a philips head screwdriver and then also the screws holding the adjustment ring (chrome ring holding the headlight in).

5. Now remove the spring on the top inner corner. The headlight will now be detached. Unplug the black booted plug from the headlight and put the headlight somewhere for safekeeping in case u ever want to go back.

6. If you want to paint the cage black- now you can remove the entire motor and headlight assembly by taking out the 10mm bolts - and paint it

Preparing to install new Lights1. Lower your headlights and measure the width side to side where the front part of the headlight cage is... youll then cut a peice of your flat stock this length.

2. clean the cut edges with a file or grinder, and then lay it flat where u measured on the headlight cage.

3. mark the flat stock on teh ends where you can bolt it to the cage, and then drill it... then mark the cage and also drill that.

4. Next you want to hand tighten screws into the strap you drilled and the cage... so you can mark placement of your lights. So get out your lights (mine had 2 sided tape) and mark where u want em... then take the flat stock off the cage and drill holes for your lights to mount on it... be sure to measure where ur holes are to do the other side symetrically. 5. after drilling the holes for the lights' mounts, bolt them to the flat stock snugly... not tight because you have to aim them still. Next move on to wiring the lights to work properly...

Wiring the Lighting

This next part can be done a few ways... So here are your scenarios.

Scenario 1 - always all 4 lights on at same time... high beams or not.

Scenario 2 - 2 lights for low, and two for high

Note:For scenario 1 (requires less work)- you'll have greatest lighting, but your high beam indicator on the dash will be on all the time

Scenario 2 –Wire both grounds to the green stripe wire – and then the high beam one to the blue positive and the reg beam to the white stripe.

I recommend scenario 2, because its good to have high beams!

BOTH SCENARIOS START THIS WAY... UNHOOK YOUR BATTERY!

1.Cut the plug off of the headlight wiring...

2.Trim away the wire wrapping and locate the colored wires (pink with stripes)

3.The wires are as follows. white stripe - reg beam power blue stripe - high beam power green stripe - ground

4. Strip 1/2" from the ends of the wires

FINISHING UP

1.Take the black plastic and cut it to fit behind the lights… you may want to cut slots in it for air- I didn’t because I run blow through with only a mesh screen over my turbo- so it doesn’t matter. Make sure that it hangs down past the bumper, you may want to bend it and also connect it to the bumper. I didn’t because I well… don’t have a bumper

2.Next place it behind – you may need to cut a notch for the wires at the top.

3.Drill a few hole into the hindside of the headlight cage on the edges where its flat, and then rivet or screw the plastic in back of the lights…

4.Now… you want to lower the headlights down and unplug the motor if you don’t have a pivot controller. Crank each side to the same level leaving enough space for the light to go out unhindered by the bumper.

5. If you have weak motors, and they wiggle or move, take a piece of the metal strap, and drill a hole in the one end… next drill a hole behind the bumpers mounting hole, and then stick the strap up towards the light assembly. With minor bending around the headlight motor it should sit flush with the inside rear bolt hole for the headlight cover. Mark the strap where that hole is… then drill a pair of hole on each side of the mark (slightly oversized) and create a slot… for adjustment. Copy to do the other side, and then bolt the bottom underneath

6.Next AIM your lights how u want em… I aimed my hi’s up a tiny bit and my lows straight. Tighten the lights and the adjustments.

7.Replace the headlight covers using a longer bolt on the rear inner one so that it reaches when going through the strap u made to steady the light. Tighten it all up, and replace the plastic rims/side plate things – you may want to cut the top outta the rims - I did…

Originally written by st33f

Return to “240sx Articles”