Sleeping in a Rogue with Divide and hide

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Bored2001
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue

Hi Y'all

I just bought a 2019 Rogue Sl.

I bought the Rogue with camping/climbing trips in mind, and one of the things I often do is sleep in the back.

The back is big enough and flat enough, but the rear divide and hide divider always rotates when I try to lie down back there. My butt pushing the rear of it upward as if you were going to pull it up to the top shelf.

Anyone have a solution for this? just put stuff underneath it? Custom legs for the rear divide n hide divider? locks on the front of the shelf to keep it from moving upwards? I'm trying to avoid drilling holes into the frame to install hardware to lock the divide and hide divider down.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Welcome to Nico!! :yesnod

I like how you think I also at times sleep in the back.
Have no idea on a good solution for your problem, but i am sure someone else better versed in your particular Nissan model will chime in soon.

Cheers! :)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't think you'll want to be punching holes in the upholstery for something like a cabinet latch, but how about one or two strategically-placed velcro patches? To avoid sewing you could use Permatex Ultra Gray to tack them down, that stuff is ferocious once it sets up.

Michael370Z
Car: Nissan 370Z

Hi, you might want to try the SUV tent where you can also sleep comfortably. It is an attachment at the back and lots of options to choose from for family sized or a roof top tent. Simple and easy to install. Try to check this site: https://motoringcrunch.com/reviews/suv-tents/ . I also have mine used it for 3 years now every time we camp out and pretty sturdy and can withstand strong winds.

Bored2001

@VStar650CL

I'm not sure what you're imagining here. Unsure where to mount these velcro strips that it would keep the divide and hide rear divider from rotating upward when my butt pushes it down.

My original thought was to put legs on the underneath and back side of the divider, but it also sort of easily pushes forward, and that also rotates the divider a bit. It's annoying.

back without divide

@Michael370z

Thanks, but...I camp frequently for climbing purposes, and i'm not a fan of these types of tents. They're more for overlanding when you're gonna set up basecamp for a while.

mmascari
Car: 2017 Rogue SL Platinum Reserve

Can you just put some foam under it?

Something like a yoga mat, foam floor tile, or foam camping pad?

Anything that fills the gap you're pushing the divider down into, without creating a new tilting point. I would think a couple of cheap foam floor tiles, cut to fill the gap and not be to large. The kind people put down in in home gyms or kids play rooms. We use them to kneel on when gardening. The super cheap ones.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Bored2001 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:13 am
I'm not sure what you're imagining here. Unsure where to mount these velcro strips that it would keep the divide and hide rear divider from rotating upward when my butt pushes it down. My original thought was to put legs on the underneath and back side of the divider, but it also sort of easily pushes forward, and that also rotates the divider a bit. It's annoying.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dSTRE9 ... sp=sharing

Misunderstood you, I thought you meant the rear seat center divider. How about putting two neat studs into the side panels where the arrows are to keep the rear panel from lifting, then adding a couple of plate-aluminum "lips" on the bottom rear edge of the front panel to catch underneath the forward lip of the rear panel.

Bored2001

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:26 pm
putting two neat studs into the side panels where the arrows are to keep the rear panel from lifting, then adding a couple of plate-aluminum "lips" on the bottom rear edge of the front panel to catch underneath the forward lip of the rear panel.
Hrm, interesting idea.

Do you know what's behind that plastic? Not sure how I'd put a stud in without drilling into the frame. If there is air space back there, maybe I could JB weld in a stud.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'd suggest pulling the panels and installing them from the back side. The panels are fairly thick and there's plenty of room behind them for a bolt-head and a reinforcing fender washer, just "bed" it with silicone like you would a marine fitting. It should be sturdy enough, the Rogue has a pair of 6mm screws holding the base of each panel, not just pawls like most other models. Or you could make a clearance hole and drill-and-tap a stud into the interior metal wall.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Bored2001 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:40 pm
Hi Y'all

I bought the Rogue with camping/climbing trips in mind, and one of the things I often do is sleep in the back.

The back is big enough and flat enough, but the rear divide and hide divider always rotates when I try to lie down back there. My butt pushing the rear of it upward as if you were going to pull it up to the top shelf.

Anyone have a solution for this? just put stuff underneath it? Custom legs for the rear divide n hide divider? locks on the front of the shelf to keep it from moving upwards? I'm trying to avoid drilling holes into the frame to install hardware to lock the divide and hide divider down.
Looks like I am not the only that decides to sleep in their Rogue for multiple hours :rotfl

I remembered passing out multiple occasions for a few hours on campus parking lot in the passenger seat with the Rogue underneath some shade (in between classes, didn't feel like to sleep drive to dorm and back). Never tried sleeping in the trunk of the Rogue before.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Bored2001 wrote:
Hi Y'all

Looks like I am not the only that decides to sleep in their Rogue for multiple hours :rotfl

I remembered passing out multiple occasions for a few hours on campus parking lot in the passenger seat with the Rogue underneath some shade (in between classes, didn't feel like to sleep drive to dorm and back). Never tried sleeping in the trunk of the Rogue before.

firebirdude
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum Blue/Black

Get an air mattress to put over it all. Win/win. :chuckle:

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Bored2001

casperfun wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:37 am
Get an air mattress to put over it all. Win/win. :chuckle:
You know, I actually took this advice -- although not the lumos. I bought one off amazon, and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MYDXD43/

elric
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

Bored2001 wrote:
the rear divide and hide divider always rotates when I try to lie down back there. My butt pushing the rear of it upward as if you were going to pull it up to the top shelf. Anyone have a solution for this?
I'm a bit late to the party, but I brought my own... My '14 had a normal two-row, solid rear floor [exceptin' the spare tire well...]. When I had to get another vehicle, the '16 had the Divide-and-Conquer [er, Hide] accordion. I bought a 4x4 Handi-Panel of 1/2" plywood and cut it to cover both "shelfs" from side-to-side, front-to-back. I cut a 10" piece to transition from the rectangle over the shelves onto the lower part of the folded down rear seat.

Covered it with an old rug. Dog does not fall through the center... Downside, the storage area can only be reached by pulling the plywood, then both shelves, off. Never needed the extra space.

If I wanted to do it better, I'd match the thickness of the shelves and cut a lid that would fit flush. Use 3/4 plywood and run some 1x2 cross-ribs under it. I think the DnH models are lighter [dunno]. Compare them to the third row models that have the third row seat removed.

Say what you will, but with 36 to 38 MPG, I can take the road noise... :cheers:

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Nissan acted as if they split the atom with that set up when it came out. I find it awkward and downright useless. When we go up north or to myrtle beach I take it out for more space.

Return to “Rogue Forum”