Skylines For Sale

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
gsxtasee
Car: racing anything and everything

to register it as a show car you have to have a show schedule of what shows it will be attending and where/when they take place... lots more info and involved that just telling DMV "it's a show car" and driving away happily.

Though, in your favor, I have read on the internet that this has been done before.. but never heard anything substantiated.

Jason

gsxtasee

Might I ask exactly what he uses the toggle switch for? I was underthe impression that the mileage counter in Skylines was mechanical... At least mine is...

gsxtasee

O.K.. soo..... I bought a skyline and I want to drive it a lot but don't want teh mileage to go up... what do I toggle? could you ask this friend you know what he did? I would be very interested in performing this mod on my own car. I just bought it and don't know much about it yet... could you help a fellow Nissan fan out with some information please?

Thanks,

Jason

kevy8up

I was curious....but what kind of process is Motorex doin to the cars to make them street legal. I mean it looks like ppl are bringing in cars for 15- 20 grand and then spending another 10 or 15k to have them legalized in the process. what are these places doing or putting on the cars to cost an extra 10 or 15k. Is anyone familiar with wat they do?

op.tic

if only i had 15k :(

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Every NICO meets is a show.

If they require a certification, as a NICO Admin, I will glady declare our NICO meets schedule in writing, for purposes of registration.

They are all shows ,completely up and up.I would presume there may be a minimum frequency of show attendances per year , but I dont think there would be a minimum off attendees per show stipulated.Which is why I think, the above approach may be ok.

As a matter of fact having one as a show car, would be neat it would shoot attendance at the meets thru the roof.

Fred...:)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

kevy8up wrote: Is anyone familiar with wat they do?

not in detail but this is rouhly what they do:

add impact beams where need to complky with DOT regs depending on model year.change bumbersinstall emissions equipmentassorted physcal changes to car

And most importantly fill out 40 pages of paperwork referenceing the work they have done.There are 2 more outfits that can do this othe than Motorex to my ( humble) knowledge. One of them is RB motoring.

Fred..:)

gsxtasee

there is one and only one Motorex. Only motorex can legalaize Skylines. RBMotoring buys their own cars in Japan, ships them here and then pays Motorex to legalize them.

the main thing you are paying for is called "intellectual property" ie.. the know-how to get the car to pass the required tests. anyone CAN do it, but only motorex knows how to.

OHH, and to import a car you have to pay a bond of 2.5 times the cars taxable value which is returned to you after some requirements are met or the car is out of the country... sounds expensive to me.

GTR-33

RBMotoring is run by Sean Morris of Motorex. You could say that RBMotoring is just dealer for Motorex...

leftovercrizack

Off of topic, but do the s13 front end conversions from your site come with mounting brackets Night? It doesn't say so, but i was just wondering.

gsxtasee

In case you guys didn't notice, I'm politely calling NightXCZ77's bull**** on the whole "toggle" thing. Skylines use a mechanical odometer and therefor can't be "toggled" by any electrical switch. I asked him how to do it and he said if I'd buy his skyline he'd do it for me.

It appears to me that NightXCZ77 has had some drama on here before and is in the proces of doing it again. I don't know the guy but if it looks like a pile, smells like a pile and is smiling at you... you make the decision on what to call it...

I would hate to see people get burned by some internet boy who can make a cool website. ask him what the VIN is on his skyline. ask him what state it is registered in and to post a copy of his registration and insurance... then if he's lying about that, why would he not lie abot selling you a front clip or some other high-ticket item. If he is legit, I'll apologize.

caveat emptor,

Jason

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

All of my Skylines have been a mechanical odometer. You could just remove the cable from the tranny I suppose. Course then the speedometer doesn't work either...hmm. Its easy to do I'm sure, I just never needed to do it being in Japan.

Sean Morris is a good guy, I've known him for years. His bussiness is up and up. Anyone buying any carparts or actual cars themselves needs to have a signed contract that is notorized. Especially if dealing with large sums of money.

WD

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Oh, Fred, for the car show thing, I'll donate 5 bucks to the winner...lol. So now we even have prizes.

WD

Gaap repz
Car: cars

yea, if only i had $15,000...

soilwork240sx

i cant believe you guys buy his b.s. so sad, so sad.

hatebobbarker
Car: 350z, 240sx(for sale)

couple flaws, motorex USETO legalize rbmotorings cars, now they can do it themselves, sean no longer works for motorex, rbmotoring exists as its own entity.on that note as soon as someone buys my G35 im getting an R33 from rbmotoring.

gsxtasee

'Tis my understanding (as flawed as it may be) that RBMotoring (sean) buys his own cars from Japan, then imports them, and Motorex still does the legalization thereof.

hatebobbarker

not quitejack the owner goes to japanhe gets the carssean does all the legalizing and stuff and rb does legalization themselves now, im 99% sure. they just started recently, id ask them but they are at pomona right now and i feel bad calling cellphones for stupid questions.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

I thought the crash data was actually patented. Does that mean Sean owns the patent, and not Motorex? Or was I misinformed (by a former Motorex employee)?

hatebobbarker

to my knowledgeit became public knowledge (as patents do) after a certain amount of time

even before i planned on getting one i had heard from different magazines that motorex would be loosing its exclusivity in the near future.

GTR-33

The infomation is not patented, its a trade secret. Trade secrets never become public knowledge, unless more than one company is in business for the same thing. IE if a second Skyline RI were to pop up(one that does their own importation and coversion) it would become public knowledge. Sean at RBM does not do his own compliance packages for this very reason. Motorex still does all of the compliancing...

hatebobbarker

im still 99% sure that rb doesnt need motorex, and if its just a secret they keep im sure sean would know that from his time at motorex.

GTR-33

If Sean is doing his own compliance packages, it would no longer be a trade secret and he would be breaking the law, unless he has recently become an RI. Motorex to this day is still the only Federaly listed RI with the abilty to import a Skyline from 1989-1999. This is from the NHTSA web site. This information is as of July 2003. Like I said though, If Sean does his own, the certification info should be public knowledge. IE what they do to the cars.

NY94J30
Car: 2000 Q45 AE

A trade secret isn't protected in and of itself - only if non-competition clause is included in an employment contract.

hatebobbarker

GTR-33 wrote:If Sean is doing his own compliance packages, it would no longer be a trade secret and he would be breaking the law, unless he has recently become an RI. Motorex to this day is still the only Federaly listed RI with the abilty to import a Skyline from 1989-1999. This is from the NHTSA web site. This information is as of July 2003. Like I said though, If Sean does his own, the certification info should be public knowledge. IE what they do to the cars.

well i met them in june and thats when jack & victor told me they would be doing it on their own soon.

gsxtasee

ask RBM how many skylines they've leglaized and sold all by themselves. why suppose? they should give a straight answer. From what I've seen Sean post on other forums, he seems to give reasonably accurate info, though often with a little too much 'tude for my tastes.. but I have never met or spoken to him personally so I may be just interpreting the net weird...

gsxtasee

BTW, sory for teh thread jacking that has happened.. didn't intend to bastardize this thread.. but..

why hasn't this NightXCZ77 guy replied with vin info and other technical data to show he isn't trying to use this forum to steal money from people?

andrave
Car: assorted

probably because he doesn't have a vin, as its a non us car.Anyway to the best of my limited patent law, if they have a patent on the process they will be allowed to "make up their investment" before the information could begin to be copy cated.BUT this is a special circumstance, and I believe that in the interest of safety there may be a loop hole through which the information would be available as a way of insuring complaince for the vehicles in question. I'll have to look it up on west law and see if there is anything about it. maybe later.also, someone on zilvia said rb20 was mechanical speedo/tach but rb25 was electronic. rb26dett=??

hatebobbarker

ok i went to RBmotoring this afternoon.they still go through motorex for some stuff , but not for longbut from the sound of it motorex just files their paperwork because they said motorex will never touch my r33.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

gsxtasee wrote:ask RBM how many skylines they've leglaized and sold all by themselves. why suppose? they should give a straight answer. From what I've seen Sean post on other forums, he seems to give reasonably accurate info, though often with a little too much 'tude for my tastes.. but I have never met or spoken to him personally so I may be just interpreting the net weird...

I hear ya about Sean. He seems to be very knowledgeable, and always around to answer questions, but he does come off as having a bit of an attitude. I've exchanged a few emails with him and he tends to be a bit cocky, but knowledgeable.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”