skyline rbs vs. supras 2jzs

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
pignose

i want to know which car is ultamatly the best.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Really depends on what model Skyline you are talking about. You Had the GT-R of course, and the 25GT-t. RB26DETT and RB25DET (Neo something or other). As far as the GT-R vs. Supra RZ...I am not sure, but I think stock for stock, the GT-R has a slight advantage. I am not really sure though. The 25GT-t would get wasted by an RZ packin the 2JZ.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

The Skyline is the superior car, the J is the superior engine. Now GT-R with 2JZ, hmmmm

TunaFish

themadscientist wrote:The Skyline is the superior car, the J is the superior engine. Now GT-R with 2JZ, hmmmm
thats why people do swaps like this

s14 6 speed 2jzgte swap, t88

darkstanglx
Car: 1989 Ford mustang lx 5spd soon a skyline

i like the supras they can take a **** load of boost but there not awd only rwd and that kinda sucks

themadscientist

I like the ejecting targa tops, it makes a high speed run down the highway like winding up a jack in the box.

Mr.Sandman
Car: 1993 240sx coupe

C33LaurelRacer wrote:Really depends on what model Skyline you are talking about. You Had the GT-R of course, and the 25GT-t. RB26DETT and RB25DET (Neo something or other). As far as the GT-R vs. Supra RZ...I am not sure, but I think stock for stock, the GT-R has a slight advantage. I am not really sure though. The 25GT-t would get wasted by an RZ packin the 2JZ.
IF YOU HAVE MONEY DONT MATTER.R34rb26dett GT-R vs. 2jzgtte.....Both have same basic design...inline six..all can agree...2jz is 3.0 displacement, and rb has 2.6 displacement. can get a 1,000 hp out of both with ease.. Even using the stock block, .No joke....b/c there both cast iron. What do you guys think? Probably saying the 2jz right, since bigger displacement. & of course you can time your turbos to what revolution they kick in...ok sure whatever..........But for a fact, i would never have a 1000 hp into a rear wheel drive car only...unless i had some SUPERSLICKS. vs All wheel drive.....And another fact is that i probably will never own a skyline...hopefully, but probably not...

well due to fact that rb26 is a higher reving engine then 2jz....make is superior...high rpms, more combustion, more power, when using less $.. Also the ultimate engine for ultimate drifting silvia's....CAUSE ITS A CAST IRON BLOCK.....plus im a diehard nissan fan, and rotary... CHECK OUT THE SITE..http://www.linney.org/introduction_to_Skylines.htm

Mr.Sandman

you can always stroke if want too..

Mr.Sandman

either way, America never got the fast version....for almost anything...

Nismo Night Kid
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer GLX (mom's)

Said in a previous post. Skyline GT-R vs. Supra RZ = GT-RRB26DETT vs. 2JZ-GTE = 2JZ-GTE.

But i prefer the RB anyway as it can rev to 8000rpm as aposed to the 2JZ's 6-7K rpm.
Modified by Nismo Night Kid at 1:12 PM 8/1/2005

kuramaya
Car: 1995 RPS13 180SX

2JZ's are the heat hands down. I know many a guy with Aristo's and JZX100's with 2JZ's putting down 800's and with a Supra Trans Swap they are spanking many cars...I have only driven Nissans since 96, but my Next car will definetly be a 5 Speed JZX100 Tourer V with 1JZ or 2JZ...The motors are phenominal

themadscientist

you ain't pullin 1000hp out of a 26 without replacing the entire rotating assembly, sorry. The J can get away with it. If I could go back it time I would have bought a Soarer and swapped in a 2J. Now FJ vs 3S, whole different story.

USMCgetsome
Car: OWN S13.5 RB25DET/2003 G35

hands down ALL WHEEL DRIVE I-6 TWIN TURBO ball bearing with a good ems stock up to i think it was 400-500hp your good.

supra stock bottom end is good for apparently 1000hp soo it's been said but with the weight of the body and only rear wheel drive i'd still say stock rb hands down.

look it up on the bmi websites i'm sure they'd have a battle of some sort.

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

get the 2JZ to rev to 8k with some serious hp and torque, stick it in a GT-R, and you're set.

Nissan attesa-ets equipped Toyota power...mix and match for a better breed.

lol triple turbo the rb and see how it does against the triple turbo 2j

themadscientist

HKS has a 3.4 liter kit for the 2J now Kind of overshadows the 2.8 kit for the RB26 ne?

Kansei240sx
Car: S13 - RB25 Circuit car
71 240z - street/track day car
AE86 - Daily Drizzle/track day car
Z31t - Paper weight/street car

I think the 2JZ is a great motor, but i like the engineering withing the RB26DETT alot better, plus the RB has quite a few JGTC victories under its belt.

I prefer shorter stroke and Rpms so my choice obviously is the RB, if i wanted a 800+ hp with a turbo so big the only way it would move to boost is with a 75 shot of nitrous to spool the turbo becuase it lags so bad, i'd choose the 2JZ. I prefer response and quick reaction over insanely useless amounts hp. Thats where the GTR comes in with response. also, Mines Skyline vs amuse supra there should be an answer for you.

themadscientist

let's see, portly Supra feeding go through two tires versus a slightly svelter Skyline using four from a stop, Not a fair comparison. RB26 GTS-T is more similar of a comparison, they rarely crack into the 9s due to traction issues.An RB26 with a huge single suffers the same lag if not more due to the smaller displacement when compared to the 2JZ.

JimmyMethod
Car: 97' 240SX SE

What's the deal with the RB30Es and RB30ETs? Does anyone have these in their cars here?

themadscientist

The aussies have been messing with those the most. They were the only ones to get them though so it stands to reason. I am working on a lil sumpinsumpin though. It's not a 30 but what it lacks in displacement it makes up for in beef! Look for a detailed writeup if it starts up and after I grab about three more donor engines before telling people how to do it, it is not exactly "bolt on". Heres a spyshot. Mystery motor with 26 head cinched down. A 26 block is in the foreground. You can see the taller deck if you trace the water gallery.

CursedGTR
Car: 1991 Skyline GTR

Mike - Man I knew it was you that dug my block out of the Bin. Dude I have been bragging about how I just threw away an RB26 and you go and dig it out and make my bragging rights disappear. Oh well, that does look cool, I hope it does work out, I will try locate those parts you needed this week.

Now for the 2JZ versus RB26 argument Being that I have blown up more RB26's than most people have seen (that is no exxageration) I might be able to add something to this.

1. Yes the RB revs high but I would dismiss those 8,000 RPM dreams(I have never seen a GTR make power above 7300 RPM in stock trim) as max power is usually achieved way before that thus giving you nothing more than some cushion for over revving when you miss a gear. Once you move into the 1,000HP range the RB26 head requires more head work than the 2JZ ever will in order to accomplish reliably. First the squish area on the intake side at least needs to be removed, a full port and polish, cam nose escape processing, springs (Try 10,000 RPM springs for the RB26 they are not cheap), valve guides, seals, seat cut and grind and a few other things like water jacket processing (because RB's run hotter than H-E-*-*).

Your block will need a full counter crank, conrods and pistons, just to start, baffles and all of the supporting elements come after that.

Just in a rotating assembly for a RB26 you will spend at least 7K if you do not find a good used set up. The machine work I listed with engine assembly and all supporting parts (just the block and the head) will cost you nearly 25,000.00 to accomplish. If anyone doubts me on this I will be more than happy to scan and send my work estimate from JUN (Cheaper than Tomei) which quoted me 16K and I had to supply the crank, rods, pistons, main studs and oil pump. The turbo kit to back 1,000HP you ask??? well that is simple I chose the HKS GT3040 Ball Bearing twins (a 10K turbo kit) the intake manifold is easily another 3K Top Secret Jobbie with the 100mm single throttle conversion. I can go on and on but this post is getting to long. So I will cut to the chase.

2. The 2JZ I have seen many a stock block 2JZ pull over 900 WHP and do it well (most of them are in the states, but a few over here as well), it all comes down to making sure the car is designed well as whole and will do what you ask it do. The 2JZ in my opinion is not only a superior engine when it comes to ability to produce reliable power but it is superior when it comes time to pay for it all. Bottom line--Engines are Air Pumps and the 2JZ moves more air with less risk, the higher you revv the more prone to breakage you are. However, I love the RB, my first project car was an R33 GTS25T and my outgoing car now is R32 GTR, so I will never really give up on the RB because I know what to expect, but When I do come back to the U.S. a Supra may be the next thing I decide to work just for the pleasure of working on something that is not going to cost me 20K to modify enough to have fun with.

themadscientist

I remeber you were pretty proud of your GTO

CursedGTR
Car: 1991 Skyline GTR

themadscientist wrote:I remeber you were pretty proud of your GTO
Until I asked how to make it fast and got told the easiest way to make it fast was to sell it, and it was never a project car. I put a stereo in it and sold it. I never even changed my own oil on that car. Now my pannies are ina bunch dude

themadscientist

pretty pink ones? Have you seen the one that came in the shop recently? When the guy opens the door there is a strange rapid clicking he says is his doors trying to lock unsucessfully. Those cars are trouble, you were lucky to get out of that thing. Mitsubishi better be very careful with the Lancer, it's the only vehicle they make that doesn't suck!

ILikeMy240sx
Car: SR Power

TunaFish wrote:
thats why people do swaps like this

s14 6 speed 2jzgte swap, t88
yup yup. Didn't Kan's brother do that?

grimlunacy
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX hatch

how much does the swap cost roughly?

InjectedPerformance
Car: 2009 Nissan GTR, 2004 Nissan 350Z, 2009 Nissan 370Z

themadscientist wrote:The aussies have been messing with those the most. They were the only ones to get them though so it stands to reason. I am working on a lil sumpinsumpin though. It's not a 30 but what it lacks in displacement it makes up for in beef! Look for a detailed writeup if it starts up and after I grab about three more donor engines before telling people how to do it, it is not exactly "bolt on". Heres a spyshot. Mystery motor with 26 head cinched down. A 26 block is in the foreground. You can see the taller deck if you trace the water gallery.
Dude That motor looks like it is from the 90's. Clean that shiat up! 2jz is superior..

themadscientist

It is from the 90's! I am more concerned with making it run, pretty is nowhere on my priority list.

joesappSXiii
Car: 1989 300zx

if you put cool stickers on the supra maybe it can go faster

240sxHitman
Car: Boosted '91 240sx

Click to see Video

speaking of rb vs 2jz

silent dave
Car: 05 LGT
91 240sx

neat video but provides nothing towards the discussion. here's a question: which is the better, more cost effective drag vehicle (read: track only), 240sx w/ 2jz or r32 gtr? both would have the same mods with a goal of low 10's.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”