sirius subscription / navigation / no signal

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
andygold
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Black/Almond

This past week I started having issues with the satellite portion of the radio (I'm still on the 90 day trial). Sometimes I'll be listening fine, but when I change to a different satellite channel, I get the readout of the channel's name, the song and artist info, but no sound. Then the artist/song info disappears and I get an onscreen message that there is "No Signal". I'm out in the open, no antenna obstruction, nothing...

The quickest way I've found to get the sound back is to go into the system settings and reset the radio to factory stock. I lose my presets and all settings, but the radio will start working again and put out sound.

I've also lost the radio for a few hours, and after letting the car sit for a few hours more, the signal is back.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a Sirius issue or a Nissan radio/Bose issue.

Over the weekend while traveling interstate, it happened again. I stopped into a Nissan dealer and they said they've heard of this happening infrequently (yeah, right). They said there is an hour long flash that can be done to the head unit that will fix it. My vehicle was built late 2014, and I thought I had the latest firmware in the head unit. Does anyone know how to determine what firmware you have, and also what is the latest firmware as of this date? I did get into the settings menu once by turning the tuning knob back and forth while holding a button, but I'll have to find the instructions again (I forgot what I had to hit) to see if the info is in that menu system

Today I called Sirius to talk to a tech, but he seemed only to want to sell me a new subscription. A lot of good that will do me if I can't listen to the radio in the first place. He was adamant that the problem is that I'm using Bluetooth while listening to the radio :chuckle: . He said that "bluetooth is a powerful signal" and that it will mess with the satellite reception. He suggested I drive with Bluetooth off :rolleyes: . So, basically he's telling me that a handsfree phone should not be used while driving...hmmmm
I told him that I drive with my phone connected via BT all the time, yet the issue only started happening this week. He had no answer as to why it just started. He also said that there have been no satellite issues lately.

And lastly, he said that when my subscription runs out in a few weeks, that not only will I lose the radio, but I'll also lose navigation. I figured I'd lose the Travelink and Traffic, but I was under the impression that the navigation was part of my Nissan purchase (NissanConnect???), and not due to a subscription with Sirius. Was he right about this?

Ferrisfan
Car: 2014 Rogue SL FWD w/ Premium Package

I think you're right...that he meant to say you'd lose traffic and travelink. Your NAV maps are on an SD card and should not be related to Sirius.

I never had this exact problem, but I did have a lot of phone interface problems, which were resolved by a FW flash. I am now having new problems with my iPhone 5 after another flash that fixed my maintenance mileage setting. In all this time, the Sattelite radio has been good though.

andygold

Yesterday, the "tech" (I doubt he was actually a tech, but more of a salesman, and not a good one) tried to sell me a year's service at the discounted price of $99.00 (down from $120)

This morning, I get a call from Sirius, asking me if I want to renew my subscription (my trial expires in12 days). Today, the price went from the SALE price of $99.00 for 1 year to $30.00 for 6 month (or $60/year). So, I took the deal, since coworkers tell me that the lowest they've ever seen is $25 for 6 months.

Today's salesman also tells me upon my explaining to him what yesterday's tech said, that the guy from yesterday is an embarrassment to the company as he doesn't know what he's talking about, on many fronts. I'm thinking the whole time that they're playing "good cop, bad cop", with yesterday's guy being the bad cop, and today's guy being the good cop whom I'm supposed to trust....and fork over my money to. Since it was close to best they've ever seen, I went with the deal.
The guy today says that Bluetooth was rumored to be an issue with Sirius a few years back, but it was proven to have absolutely no bearing on satellite signal, and all of the Sirius employees should know this. He also informed me that the first guy was also wrong in regards to me losing navigation when the Sirius expires. And yes, the first guy was adamant that I would lose the navigation. As both you and I thought, the Travellink and the Traffic, along with the radio would turn off (other than channel 1), but the nav itself has nothing to do with Sirius, and will remain (although I think I remember reading there might be a 2 or 3 year expiration of NissanConnect, and when that expires, so does the navigation).

Now I have to put in my calendar to unsubscribe in the middle of July, as the $30 deal comes with the caveat that it will automatically re-up in 6 months if I don't cancel it. And, that automatic fee is $108 for SIX months (the full year is typically $120). So, basically they give you a good deal today, and then bend you over and bang you real hard later, by charging you for six months what would normally be close to the charge for a full year...

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

The $30 for 6 months is a typical retention deal from SXM and probably one of the best ones they currently offer. Just see what kinda of retention offers they try plying you with when you try to cancel in 6 months. They may be able to re-up you for another 6 months at $30.

andygold

Thats exactly what im hoping will happen.

Ferrisfan
Car: 2014 Rogue SL FWD w/ Premium Package

FWIW, I got $25 for 6 mo. back in June, and renewed at $30 for 6 mo. last month. I don't understand the business model of charging more for a longer term contract, unless they just have a huge % of their business roll over to a full price subscription because people forgot to cancel it.

andygold

That's probably what happens...automatic roll overs and people just accept it at whatever price it is.

If I let it automatically renew in six months, then my total for twelve months would be $138.00 plus taxes and fees, which is more than the regular price of $120. So the "deal" i got will actually cost me $18.00 more than everybody else pays. Some deal!!! :frown:

FWIW, I know two people who let their subscriptions expire so that they'd get the $25 offer, which they then accepted. They both paid by check. When the six months was complete, their service did not turn off, and they've never been called or asked for further payment. They've had their sat radio on for years now for a one time$25 payment. It makes me wonder if Sirius' payment model is set up to automatically try to renew, assuming there is a credit card attached to the account, and then if they don't receive a call from the customer to stop the service, then it renews, assuming that a payment will get charged, even though there is no credit card on file.

colonelcasey

Thanks for the pay by check tip! I might try that when my trial is up in another 7 weeks.

andygold

colonelcasey wrote:Thanks for the pay by check tip! I might try that when my trial is up in another 7 weeks.

Please be advised, this worked for them, back a while ago. Things may have changed since then, and they are the lucky ones still reaping the benefits. Your experience may be different! But either way, they would not be able to automatically hit you with the much higher fees later, since they'd have no card on file for you. Please let us know if it works out for you. I myself, paid by card over the phone as i didn't know the info about what/how the other guys paid until after I told them my story about the 2 phone calls and the greatly varying prices.

oldengineer
Car: 2015 Rogue SV AWD

I've got about 4 weeks left on my free trial. Got a letter yesterday offering 6 months for $34.10 incl taxes. They want payment by CC, will accept a check, but if payment is made by check they will add a $2 charge to the next invoice.

andygold

$34.10 is what they offered me over the phone. The thing is, after checking the Sirius website and seeing probably 7 or 8 different packages, I've no idea what my $34.10 bought me. Turns out the guy i spoke to after calling a phone number from Westchester NY, was actually in Costa Rica. I was able to understand about 99% of what he was saying, but when he got into the specifics at the end of the call, and he sped up to light speed, his accent took over and I'm not sure what he said.

What package are they offering you for the 30 bucks?

oldengineer
Car: 2015 Rogue SV AWD

andygold wrote:$34.10 is what they offered me over the phone. The thing is, after checking the Sirius website and seeing probably 7 or 8 different packages, I've no idea what my $34.10 bought me. Turns out the guy i spoke to after calling a phone number from Westchester NY, was actually in Costa Rica. I was able to understand about 99% of what he was saying, but when he got into the specifics at the end of the call, and he sped up to light speed, his accent took over and I'm not sure what he said.

What package are they offering you for the 30 bucks?
The Select Package. According to the website it's 165 channels plus select premium channels. Personally we're older, don't drive that much, and when we do use Sirius at home with our Dish subscription, listen to a few oldies and country stations. I'm not that interested in keeping it.

ristau5741

as for the Nav, you will lose the system traffic capabilities, the GPS and mapping capabilities will remain.

b-mtrd
Car: 2015 Rogue SL AWD

I'm getting this exact same issue. It sometimes fixes itself when I shut down the car and after a few minutes I restart.
I requested a signal refresh but it didnt fix.

Anything else that could be done? anyone getting the same issue?

My trial ends on 2/11/15. I am planning on renewing but want to use the free time up until the last day.
andygold wrote:This past week I started having issues with the satellite portion of the radio (I'm still on the 90 day trial). Sometimes I'll be listening fine, but when I change to a different satellite channel, I get the readout of the channel's name, the song and artist info, but no sound. Then the artist/song info disappears and I get an onscreen message that there is "No Signal". I'm out in the open, no antenna obstruction, nothing...

The quickest way I've found to get the sound back is to go into the system settings and reset the radio to factory stock. I lose my presets and all settings, but the radio will start working again and put out sound.

I've also lost the radio for a few hours, and after letting the car sit for a few hours more, the signal is back.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a Sirius issue or a Nissan radio/Bose issue.

Over the weekend while traveling interstate, it happened again. I stopped into a Nissan dealer and they said they've heard of this happening infrequently (yeah, right). They said there is an hour long flash that can be done to the head unit that will fix it. My vehicle was built late 2014, and I thought I had the latest firmware in the head unit. Does anyone know how to determine what firmware you have, and also what is the latest firmware as of this date? I did get into the settings menu once by turning the tuning knob back and forth while holding a button, but I'll have to find the instructions again (I forgot what I had to hit) to see if the info is in that menu system

Today I called Sirius to talk to a tech, but he seemed only to want to sell me a new subscription. A lot of good that will do me if I can't listen to the radio in the first place. He was adamant that the problem is that I'm using Bluetooth while listening to the radio :chuckle: . He said that "bluetooth is a powerful signal" and that it will mess with the satellite reception. He suggested I drive with Bluetooth off :rolleyes: . So, basically he's telling me that a handsfree phone should not be used while driving...hmmmm
I told him that I drive with my phone connected via BT all the time, yet the issue only started happening this week. He had no answer as to why it just started. He also said that there have been no satellite issues lately.

And lastly, he said that when my subscription runs out in a few weeks, that not only will I lose the radio, but I'll also lose navigation. I figured I'd lose the Travelink and Traffic, but I was under the impression that the navigation was part of my Nissan purchase (NissanConnect???), and not due to a subscription with Sirius. Was he right about this?

colonelcasey

The same issue has started happening to me ever since I signed up for their $25 / 6 months deal. So far I think it's happened to me 3-4 times where I change the channel and then end up with a No Signal screen, forcing me to switch back to FM. SXM doesn't come back until I turn off the car and restart it.

If this is how SXM is going to behave in my car, I'm definitely going to kill the subscription when my 6 months is up in August.

amajteny
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I have 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD and this also happens in my car. Local driving is not affected, but longer distance, eg Raleigh to Clayton, NC, I will lose signal if I change the channel. It will recover if I park and shop. On longer distances, I can stop the engine at a rest stop or gas station to recover. Because this NEVER occurred in my 2007 Kia Soul, which I drove along the same routes, I have to believe it is a radio/antenna issue, not a car or XM service issue. Regardless, I will be cancelling my subscription if there is no fix.

yi_dennis
Car: 2014 Rogue SL

My XM is not working in my garage on my 2014 recently. It use to get a signal in there. It also noticed on the drive to and from work there are certain areas that it has been loosing the signal. This is a clear area with nothing overhead and its just been the last week. I just to never have this problem. The dealer has its working fine, but I don't think they took it for a test drive. The just tried it in the lot. Has anyone has anything similar?

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

I'm bumping this thread as our Rogue is now experiencing XM issues. It randomly goes out and will not return until after the vehicle is restarted. Sometimes it works fine. Other times it works fine until you try to switch channels and it loses signal.

I highly doubt it's a reception issue as we tested it at home and reproduced the problem while my Q50 retained reception in the same place in the driveway.

I'm going to call Nissan about it today - the way it's behaving has to be due to a faulty antenna or some issue within the headunit itself.

colonelcasey

It might be but funny enough, I haven't experienced this issue in several months. It's been since the winter since this was last an issue with my car. Not sure what happened or if it sorted itself out with better satellite positioning in my area.

Wenismaster

I bought a brand new 2015 Nissan Rogue and it displays these exact symptoms. Sending a refresh signal doesn't help or shutting the car off for a short amount of time. I'll try to shut off bluetooth on my phone to see if that helps.

outtolearn88
Car: Rogue SL AWD

Can you please say what Software version you are on ? Can make a difference....
Thank you in advance.

jimmygrazz
Car: 2011 Infinity G37 Convertible

andygold wrote:This past week I started having issues with the satellite portion of the radio (I'm still on the 90 day trial). Sometimes I'll be listening fine, but when I change to a different satellite channel, I get the readout of the channel's name, the song and artist info, but no sound. Then the artist/song info disappears and I get an onscreen message that there is "No Signal". I'm out in the open, no antenna obstruction, nothing...

Have you found a solution for this? I just talked to Nissan and they will not replace my radio because they can't get it to have the problem. So, now I have to drive for an hour until it happens again and then bring it in.

texasrogue
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL FWD; Premium Package

2014 Rogue SL here w/ Sirius XM subscription, no issues in Texas so far. And as for the XM rep who said "bluetooth is a powerful signal" that person is clueless. Bluetooth power output is measured in milliwatts (mw) and is NOT going to be powerful enough interfere. How do I know this? 25+ years in IT, I started on mainframes back in the '80s.

There may be another factor with reception issues though. Sirius and T-Mobile have been pointing fingers at each other since last year when Sirius engineers went driving in the NYC metro area following up on reception complaints. The engineers allege that T-Mobile towers were being upgraded and as a result, intermodulation was occurring. Intermodulation is when two radio frequencies combine to make a third signal, which is what Sirius claims is causing the interference.

T-Mobile claims that it's Sirius' fault in that the radios aren't engineered properly and the front end of the radio should have filtering to remove such interference. Lawyers in each of the companies are involved and, as you'd expect, nothing much is being done to resolve the problem. This could be attributable to some of the problems users have posted, or it may be an issue unique to the XM receivers in our Rogues.

DPlettner

I purchased a 2015 Rogue SL in July, and I believe it was built in May.

I experienced many of the problems discussed above on a recent trip between California and Colorado. On the first leg of the trip I only saw the "no signal" issue for a few stations, but on the way back the issue eventually affected all stations, and using the Reset option was the only way to get back a few stations. I was using the navigation system quite a bit and setting a lot of waypoints, I was playing around with all the voice recognition options, and I connected a 128GB iPhone 6s filled with media using USB and Bluetooth, so I was stressing the system quite a bit. I also noticed the unit reboot once.

I spent some time reading the "New D207 Nav/Radio Update for 2014 Rogue" thread:

new-d207-nav-radio-update-for-2014-rogu ... 69-30.html

The last few posts mention firmware version D407 (TSB 15011). My 2015 Rogue SL has firmware version D322 and hardware 034.

Does anyone know if D407 is available for a 2015 Rogue, or if there is a version available newer than D322? My first service appointment is in early January, and I will request that the dealer update the firmware if there is a newer version.

thirdcup
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL

This is a shot in the dark, but maybe try holding the radio's power button until it reboots. At least then you don't have to factory reset. Best of all is that you can do this while driving. I have to do this sometimes when my Bluetooth acts wonky with music streaming. Hopefully this helps!

outtolearn88
Car: Rogue SL AWD

Hello Everyone, Well what can I say....... NISSAN ! They just Don't ! Get it that there head unite & Software just don't work right. I would never spend the extra $$$$ again for the top end electronic options !

I just can't believe the run around with NISSAN as for getting it fixed. I'm sure they have NO FIX.....

So we all are basically stuck with these problems......

lfallon47

I also have been experiencing "no signal" when I change the Sirrius channels. When I took my car for it's 5000 miles oil change last month left the engine running and had a Nissan dealership service rep look at the screen first hand so he could see the "no signal" for every channel. He was completely perplexed over the issue but went to the Service Manager who later showed me a printout and picture from Corporate of a replacement part and upgrade for the 2015 Rogue radio that will fix the problem. It is a hardware problem. He assured me that the part would be available soon and we made another service date. But when I returned for the service today, I was told that it is still not available and the Service Manager didn't know when it would be. They would call me when it arrives. I asked, since it's a Nissan problem, is Nissan compensating their 2015 Rogue owners for their cost of their Sirrius subscriptions for lost time. He said to contact Corporate 800-647-7261 No. 7. I called today and they gave me a case number and promised that I will get a call back on Monday 12/14/15 after they investigate the situation. Should I hold my breath?

I also want to ask if anyone is having problems with their LED low beam headlights. When you go down a hill it looks like the lights are shooting down to the ground only giving me light for a short distance ahead. I feel that I won't be able to stop in time when the car levels out and be surprised to see something ahead in the road. I asked the service department to raise the lights but they said they could not legally do so. The LED lights are suppose to have auto levelizers that come with the SL Premium Package. Could someone tell me if these levelizers are to direct the headlights upward when your car is going down a hill?

DPlettner

>> "the Service Manager . . . showed me a printout and picture from Corporate of a replacement part and upgrade for the 2015 Rogue radio that will fix the problem."

Please keep us updated about this fix. I have my first service appointment in January and I would like to have this issue resolved. I am skeptical that this is a hardware issue since resetting the radio restores at least some channels. It seems like a software issue.

Regarding your LED headlights, I recall reading somewhere that Nissan dropped auto-leveling mid-year, but I can't find a link. If you go to Truecar, they list two Premium Packages, one with auto-leveling and one without. I copied the text at the end of this post.

The LED headlights on my 2015 Rogue SL are adjusted perfectly and I am very happy with the performance on low and high. On the other hand, the fog lights seem kind of useless, but maybe someday I will encounter foggy conditions where they make a difference.

It appears that you can adjust the headlights yourself. Take a look at this thread:

2014-rogue-led-headlight-level-t583882-30.html

Here are the two Premium Packages listed at Truecar:

[P01] Sl Premium Package
-inc: LED Headlights w/Auto Levelizer, Power Panoramic Moonroof, Forward Collision Warning, Blind Spot Warning, lane-departure warning and moving object detection

[P02] Sl Premium Package
-inc: Blind Spot Warning, moving object detection, Power Panoramic Moonroof, Forward Collision Warning, LED Headlights, Lane Departure Warning *PRICE TO FOLLOW*

lfallon47

Corporate called to say there is a fix for my Sirius problem and my dealer will be in touch. They called and I brought the car in about two weeks ago. I lost all channels again today so this fix didn't work. Service now says it's a software problem. I have another appointment in three days and I'll see if it works and what exactly is the problem.

DPlettner

Thanks for the update. Please let me know if the fix works.

I have not had the problem return since I traveled between Colorado and California, but I would still like to obtain any fix that corrects the problem for you.

Return to “Rogue Forum”