......Since we’re on the topic of Cvt fluid

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

When I read that Honda recommends 3x’s drain & fill procedures; not that all the dealerships do them or the normal consumer for that matter.

My ocd kicked in and I actually did FOUR drain & fills in a 2 month period back in the summer of 2017. Dropped pan twice and even replaced strainer. I wanted to achieve the best ratio of new fluid before reaching a point of diminishing returns.

Only reason I did this is because my ignorant butt waited until I had clocked 87,000 miles already without thinking about my transmission needs and those nightmare implosion stories. Did a fifth drain & fill a little over a year ago.

But don’t worry, I still like 15-20,000 mile oil changes, with it being a year and 3 months since my last oil change. Only around 8000 miles so far and less driving cuz of pandemic. So it will be a very long time til I change oil again.

Anyways, it cost me over $400 in NS-2 fluid and personal time, but I rather be proactive and try to keep my ORIGINAL decade+ old transmission alive For another 60,000 miles. It nearly has 98,000 miles presently.

$400 vs $4000 new cvt= smart investment buying a case of cvt-2 Nissan fluid.

Rogue runs smooth as butter with zero hesitation. Before the cvt drain & fill, trans, diff drain & fills, my rogue hesitated so badly that it would jerk my head back like you were receiving mini whiplash every time you stepped on the gas.

Also don’t forget the other vibration as if you were driving over rumble strips at 35mph, totally gone too! :mike

casperfun

I stand corrected, my first transmission drain & fill was around 76,000 miles (the 4 consecutive drain/fills). Still very late in the game. :sad:

My 5th and last drain & fill was actually at 90,374 miles just over a year ago. :inoutgay:

macgiver

Just don't under fill it like, some clowns that think the factory screwed-up on 1st fill topoff.
They go and think 1 quart less is where it shoulda - coulda been and wonder why they have a boat -anchor CVT in a few months .

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

My 09 cvt was grossly overfilled from the factory and made it 95k under extended warranty. The new ones have the overflow bolt and once they’re right, cold drain and fills are easy as can be. I just had my wife’s 2018 serviced at the dealer and watched the procedure from start to finish to make sure that it was dead nuts on. After warranty I’ll be doing spill and fills with eneos ns3 for a fraction of the cost of oem.

macgiver

Wow , grossly overfilled , sounds like what about 2 , 3 pints too much or something ? Just figure out accurately what you found to be overfilled and deduct that from your fills - like subtract the difference and use your new calculated lower volume to put back . Yes , not rocket science . Also , chime in the polls here on "how long your CVT lasts ? " .

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Any cvt over filled can be considered grossly overfilled. Anything above the top hash when warm is asking for trouble. Cvt fluid doesn’t expand as much as everyone thinks, but it does foam like crazy if there’s to much in the sump. My 09 didn’t have a drain plug so I let the dealer (who I no longer use btw) check the fluid via consult. Based off of the numbers he recommended 120k. Knowing I had the extended warranty I trusted it. I will say that Nissan stepped up, no questions asked when it came time for replacement. The new cvt came with a drain plug, as does my 2018 and 2021 and drain and fills are as easy as oil changes. My wife’s 07 Murano had spill and fills quite often and is prbly approaching 300k by now and still running around. But, that car also commuted 90 miles round trip everyday so lots of highway use. I’ve had success with cvt’s that were properly filled and serviced and bad luck with one that wasnt. My new dealers master tech has an 08 coupe that has over 330k on the original cvt and services it every 20k and he doesn’t use oem fluid. He showed me the dipstick and it’s filled with red castrol.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Been awhile. I still have my 09 Rogue, which is coming up on 100K. Since it's over 10 yrs old the trans warranty is gone.
My question is has anyone mixed AMSoil CVT fluid with the NS-2? I was planning on doing the 3 drain and fills. Good or bad idea?

If that is not a good idea should I just stick with NS-2 or use NS-3? NS-3 is backward compatible right?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

darylzero wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:03 pm
My question is has anyone mixed AMSoil CVT fluid with the NS-2? I was planning on doing the 3 drain and fills. Good or bad idea?
Even three D&F's will still leave you with over a quart of the original fluid, and I've seen no evidence of anyone having miscibility issues in changing over. The good aftermarket fluids all meet or exceed the standards for NS3, and where some of them used to lack film strength compared to NS3, informed sources tell me the aftermarket has largely caught up in the last year or so.
darylzero wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:03 pm
NS-3 is backward compatible right?
Correct.

casperfun

I actually read on this forum statements or what not, from Nissan that NS-2 was specifically made for rogues that were spec for it.

Because way back in the day, many & I asked if we should be using NS-3 since it was newer and better.

Supposedly the newer transmissions needed the NS-3.

Because nobody with the older rogues EVER uses NS-3. Or else they would discontinue the older cvt fluid, because newer always is better. I absolutely never read anyone saying their using NS-3 in a first generation since I been in this forum.

So I can't wait until I use my last NS-2 fluid stash that I got a great deal on back in the day, but I'm looking forward to using the nice synthetic fluids from the many aftermarket companies out there. I'm leaning towards castrol since amsoil is hard to find, and I don't prefer to be a member.

I'm also planning on changing it every 15-20k. Just broke 100k. :mike

I just wanna say after 80k miles my rogue drove like crap, with the hesitation and shuddering WHICH I actually thought was normal. I literally still remember after stepping on the gas, I had to wait 1 second before the engine jolted me forward. Ok, I understand this is cvt land.

But after changing the fluids, cvt, tranfer, diff., my rogue has been driving like new ever since.
The gas pedal never feels disconnected anymore, no rubberband effect, the wierd rumble strip feeling( that was wierd).

You press the pedal, boom it goes. It has been a pleasure to drive ever since.
I mean it, that changing the fluids is the best thing to happen since slice bread. It has been driving like a dream. If I knew better, I would have done this at 30k. :woot:

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

@VStar650CL thanks for the reply.

Would you personally use NS-3 or AMSoil?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

darylzero wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:43 am
@VStar650CL thanks for the reply.

Would you personally use NS-3 or AMSoil?
You're most welcome. Like I said, there doesn't seem to be any great difference anymore between the reputable aftermarket fluids and NS3. My wife's car gets NS3 because I work in a dealership, but if I didn't, AMSoil or one of the other name-brand synthetics are probably how I'd go. That wouldn't have been the case a couple years ago, but technology marches on.

Return to “Rogue Forum”