Simple Fuel Question...

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
vape-one
Car: 1990 300zx

.. My New Z had been sitting for some time an it is really sluggish an has no power... I gota code 55 an I was thinking that the fuel being so old has alot to do with my problem... All 6 plugs are firing.... Does the gas really cause such a big issue... Stupid question I know... While its running it kinda sounds like its not getting enough air or catalytic converter is clogged up... Im gonna put fresh gas in an hopefully it has more power.. gas is probably a year old lol

NissanFairladyZ32
Car: 91, Twin Turbo, 99 Miata 1.8L

if its had gas in it for over a year then the gas is diluted and it not 93 octane and thats what the car is made to run off of

BUTTONBOY
Car: 1991 300ZX 2+2 NA

Old bad gas can cause all kinds of issues. Drain that stuff and start fresh. You need to eliminate that issue and then start trying to track down the cause of any other issues.

vape-one

Yea thank ya... I was so set on fixing it that I totally never even thought about the car having old gas in it.. The previous owner cut the crap outa the wiring harness an the PTU had a rupture/hole in the front... I was so stoked on it running that I never even stopped to think... Simplest answer is the best... It really sounds as if its not getting enough air... like its bogged down... Mainly at Low revs... No power... Hope its the problem..

speedeast
Car: 1990 240sx VH45 FB & 1993 300zx

Condensation occurs and screws things up... gas doesn't technically have a shelf life per se. But a bottle of seafoam and an octane booster might fix ya up...

vape-one

I drained some today an little black particles are in the Push Water.. Im sure the fuel filter is fubar.... Thanks guys..

Zwicked
Car: 1990 300 ZX tt, 1990 240SX

If the tank had debris in it, I would either remove the tank, or take the fuel sender & fuel pump plates off and totally clean it out and the sock or the sock in the tank may get plugged from the debris you mention. If it's been sitting for a real long time, all the fuel in the system and injectors will be bad also so I would dump a container of Red Line fuel system cleaner in with the new fuel as well as change the fuel filter.

leerandallstewart
Car: 1993 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1988 300ZX Turbo

Not only will bad fuel make it run bad, it will also clog up the fuel system over time. If left toolong, it can clog fuiel line, injectors, regulators, filters, the works. And then your car will pump out tons of black smoke when running.

Don't ask me how I know this - lol.

dantesdoom
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx N/A
1997 Nissan Pickup

vape-one wrote:I drained some today an little black particles are in the Push Water.. Im sure the fuel filter is fubar.... Thanks guys..
yeah thats what i was gonna suggest...the fuel filter might get blocked and cause a lot of power loss....best to change...as i know you already have planned to do/know already and then throw in some new gas with a LITTLE seafoam as mentioned above. Should fix some, if not all of the problems. I had similar issues as mine had set up for a year and a half with a broken timing belt before i bought it.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”