Silvia Na Ca18de rwd parts

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
That1silviahtx
Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DE

Hello guys just recently imported a 1989 Silvia with s Ca18de non turbo engine 5 speed transmission. It seems information is kinda random nothing seems to be concrete when searching I may not be looking or wording my questions correctly :biggrin: :confused: anyways..

I see that there is a Lack of aftermarket parts for this platform (probably because nissan went with a different engine in the later years) but are all parts interchangeable between the Ca18det parts and the Na de?? For example on enjuku racing they have a small section for CA parts however it doesn't specifically say you can use it for the De engine? Clutches for example does the Det flywheel, clutch, pressure, throw out bearing, pilot bearing? Can it be used on a De? I know people use the Ka24de clutch and pressure plate by drilling out one of the holes but the flywheel can't because it's a 6 bolt not 8 like the CA.

As well I see there is no cold air intake for the car by any brands, no aftermarket intake manifolds. Shoot I can't even find a aftermarket exhaust manifold/header to replace the rusty one that is on there. Any help would be appreciated greatly and sorry for the cross post it may e up and I'm not looking correctly
Best regards
That1silvia

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

If you're still looking at this, I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond. The forum is supposed to notify me of new posts in here, but it doesn't always happen.

The only real difference between the DE and DET engines are the cams, exhaust manifold, pistons, and the DE's don't usually have the main bearing cap girdle, but everything is interchangeable. So you can swap caps, manifolds, pistons, etc. and everything is compatible.

As far as aftermarket for the CA18DE goes, there's not a lot. The reason is that they're not very good NA engines. They were always designed to be turbocharged, so the heads, cams, intake, and exhaust were all designed for boost. For the NA engines, they just kind of "De-turbo'd" them to reduce the cost. The flip side is that they respond well to boost. They do have around 10:1 compression (it could be 9.5:1, the numbers aren't clear on that) so turboing a DE without lowering compression is a challenge unless you're willing to run on E85 exclusively. I've been down that road and if you want a responsive turbo build and you're not after a lot of power, it made for a very fun engine. But trying to do it with pump gas is very difficult. Even at low boost pressures, I fought detonation.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”