Silvia Digital Climate control Instructions................

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Okay, thanks.

Ok, the yellow/red wire is cut.

1) One side leads to the digi control.

2) The other side is connected to the USDM main harness.

Which one should I be grounding? I am currently doing #2.
ericherm1 wrote:but you will cut it and ground the part that is going through the connector
? Can you elaborate a little more? I'm not totally following you on this.

Thanks man, seriously appreciate the help.

ericherm1
Car: 1997 Pickup XE 2.4L 4x4 Single cab short box
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR
1991 240sx SE SR20DET + S13 Silvia Front end swap (Sold)

Ground the side that goes to the Digi Unit.

onosqv

Thanks so much, can't believe I didn't think of that before.

Ok, so far, it is "working" now.

Basically, I can turn it on & off. When there is a display, defroster vent in front is always going off, seems to be full blast & always relatively cold (haven't tried it w/ engine warm).

* I can press the cycle button, but it doesn't cycle at all. - I think this is the most important for me right now. If you can elaborate on this process, that would be great.

* I can press the fan speed button, but the speed doesn't change.

* Can you explain what the red/blue wires I'm suppose to tap & cut & reconnect (where can I find them - can you locate it one of the pictures I provided?)

* Also, can you elaborate on rewiring the brown connector? -> is this on the usdm main harness to be rewired or is it some other plug?

So to recap, I've done "all the wiring" except for the 2 red/blue wires which I have no idea where they are & what to tap them into & the repinning of the brown connector - same situation.

THANKS!

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

The mode selector is right above your right leg when your sitting in the drivers seat. Its a brown connector and you just match up the wire. I used a 1mm allan wrench to press the wires out of the brown clip so I didn't have to cut them.

You have to have the Japanese blower motor speed sensor or the fan speed will not work at all; hince its always stuck in the full on position.

If anything doesn't work as of yet chances are that you fried the unit, I went through 1 before I got it right!

onosqv

ericherm1 wrote:The mode selector is right above your right leg when your sitting in the drivers seat. Its a brown connector and you just match up the wire. I used a 1mm allan wrench to press the wires out of the brown clip so I didn't have to cut them.

You have to have the Japanese blower motor speed sensor or the fan speed will not work at all; hince its always stuck in the full on position.

If anything doesn't work as of yet chances are that you fried the unit, I went through 1 before I got it right!
Got it... sort of . Ok, I have a jdm blower motor speed sensor.

***First things first.

The brown connector - that is the usdm connector that was on the original usdm mode selector unit yes?

I hooked up the jdm one per your instructions & plugged it into a matching plug (black) on the jdm sub harness.

There are significantly more pins on the usdm brown connector than the jdm blower motor has place for.

I'll get a picture for you as soon as I get a chance (in a couple days) if needed.

***Blower speed sensor:

Does this have anything to do w/ those blue/red wires I'm suppose to cut? I still haven't touched those yet because I have no idea where they are.

Thanks for all your help, as always.

Dammitboy
Car: 92' Nissan 240

I hope you get yours figured out brokeAs240sx, I need to complete mine also!

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

The Blue/Red wires are the power for the blower motor. It should read +12V Bat when car is off.

onosqv

Thanks, I'll start probing the wires this weekend .

As for the brown connector:

The brown connector - that is the usdm connector that was connected to the original usdm mode selector unit yes?

I hooked up the jdm mode selector per your instructions on page 1 & plugged it into a matching plug (black) from the jdm sub harness.

What am I repinning from where to where? - The more detailed the descriptions (w/ color wires) will help me out sooooo much.

Thanks

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

I pretty much just matched the colors up, if you notice that the US connector has the same colors as the JDM one but in differnt places. Just move the ones on the JDM side to match the female US side on the car.

Dammitboy

Did brokeAs240sx ever get your swap working?

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

I got mine working along time ago. I was helping him to get his done. But I have not heard anything from him in a few weeks.

Dammitboy

All I need now is the jdm dash harness to get my blower & modes to work, I've been dragging my feet on this. I wish you were down here to look at my setup & help me!

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

Yeah, I wish I was anywhere south of North Dakota...lol

onosqv

ericherm1 wrote:I got mine working along time ago. I was helping him to get his done. But I have not heard anything from him in a few weeks.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP SO FAR MAN!
Dammitboy wrote:Did brokeAs240sx ever get your swap working?
As of rite now, sorry to say, it's still not working anywhere near acceptable. The reason I haven't been posting is that I haven't devoted much time to it in the past couple weeks (other installs taking priority).

Here's what I do have working:

Turns on & off.

When on - turns on defroster at 1 setting all the time, no matter what happens. I know it's not cycling because I haven't repinned anything yet on the motor controller. I also have not done anything w/ the air mix door, etc. So probably about at the same step as you dammitboy.

I will of course, post again once I'm further along. It's just difficult figuring out what wire goes where w/ this whole messa wires everywhere, haha.

Needless to say, I wouldn't even be this close w/o Eric's help.

Dammitboy

This is what I have function wise so far- key on & parking lights on will give me illumination. Pressing the buttons will activate the logos/symbols on screen, but no mode or blower action yet.

Pressing the REC button will activate the REC/Fresh air door however.

Motor idling, Pressing A/C button will activate the a/c compressor & condenser fan.

I need a jdm dash harness according to Eric to finish it, just gotta get off my *** & do it.

Likewise with Erics' help.Kevin
Modified by Dammitboy at 2:35 PM 6/1/2005

S13Silvia917
Car: 1990 240SX

hey guys im picking up my climate control tomorrow and im getting the controls and full jdm harness and most sensors,but how do i go about doing the swap?any info is appreciated

Dammitboy

Eric, gonna pull a JDM dash harness out ths w/e, where specifically should I look for this harness, or is it just meshed all inside the dash? Anything else I should grab? Already have all the sensors.

Regards,

Kevin

onosqv

Dammitboy wrote:I need a jdm dash harness according to Eric to finish it, just gotta get off my *** & do it.
We need a jdm dash harness? I thought this could all work w/ the usdm main harness & just the jdm stuff directly connected to the climate control? Well, I'm still lagging on this project because I have other issues w/ the 240 (brakes and such).

Dammitboy

I remember Eric saying you can rewire parts of the usdm harness to work- PITA, but would be easier with the jdm one. I believe that's what he ended up doing to get his to work. It's time to wrap mine up, Texas heat will kill you!

kevin

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

There is a way to use the USDM harness but I have no clue as to how to hook it up using it. Some one in this thread did and made it work. For the new guy, you need to read the entire thread... its actually an "how to". There are pics of everything you need and where and how it goes.

Yes I went with the JDM harnees due to me burning up a digital climate control trying to wire it through the USDM harness. Using the JDM harness is basicly plug and play the only wires you really have to do is the power and ground for the digital climate control and the power for the blower motor. OH and the repinning of the upper and lower door motor to the correct wires, due to when you plug it in without repinning you will blow defrost when the unit is showing face and then blow face when its showing floor....lol.

nismo5521
Car: 1989 240sx

I did the digital swap but i dont know where to get the blower motor speed sensor or the thermo sensor, can anyone help me?

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

The answer is in the first 2 pages of this thread.

nismo5521

I really need the blower motor speed sensor. I went to the nissan dealership and they didnt know what the hell i was talking about. i have everything working on my swap but cant cycle through the fan speeds. I have the jdm harness and followed ericerm1's instructions and it works(thanks a million man!), except for the blower being on no matter what until i unplug the sensor, where do i get one?

Dammitboy

Hey Eric, I ran across this in the Tech.NissanSilvia.Fourm & wanted to know if you had seen it. Sounds like he used the usdm harness.

Whatd'ya think?

Kevin

Converting your Analogue Slider type Climate Control to Digital type is not as difficult as some would think. After many posts/responses to this subject elsewhere in this Forum, I have taken the plunge and converted mine over, and am happy to report that it is a very straightforward task...

I am keeping the Slider unit as a backup, just in case, so I will assume you are doing the same, however, I will point out the irrelevant aspects if you do not intend to do the same.

Parts Required

Digital control unit, sub-loom wiring (2 plug version). If you intend to make them interchangeable, as I have, you will also need: 2 Pin plug, (2x female, 1x male), and a 5 pin plug, (2x female, 1x male). You could substitute these plugs for common bullet style connectors, (7x female, 14x male). (You need 1 set of males for the loom in the car, and 2 sets of females, 1 for each control unit.) You will also need a short length of wire (20cm) and a common female spade connector.

Tools

Phillips screwdriver, wire strippers, sidecutters, crimping tool and soldering iron/solder.

Converting

Pull off the cover/surround from around the aircon/stereo/gearstick. Remove the 4 screws securing the stereo/storage bin, and remove the unit from the dash. There is no need to disconnect the wiring. (Depending on your wiring) Sit this out of your way.

Remove the 4 screws securing the climate control unit, and the unit will come out by first pushing it into the dash, and pulling it out thru the stereo hole. Disconnect the 3 plugs from the back of this unit, and put it aside.

Reach into the dash, and follow the aircon wiring until you find the plugs at the other end. Disconnect all of these plugs. Remove the blue relay from the bracket on the driver's side. (If the wiring with your digital unit has no relay connected, leave this in place.) You should now find that there is two groups of wires left, with no plugs. (Hard Wired.) There are 5 wires in one, and 2 in the other. Remove some tape from both of these, and cut all 7 wires, at the same distance, ONE AT A TIME. (We didn't disconnect the battery, remember? We don't want to short out any live wires here.)

Now, remove the sub loom from the dash. Placing it alongside the digital loom, you will see that all these 7 wires have the same colour codes, between the two looms.

Colours are: Orange/Blue stripe, Pink, Pink/Blue stripe, Pink/Black stripe, Purple, in group of 5, and Light Green/Black stripe, Dark Green/Yellow stripe in group of 2.

Now, if you don't want interchangeability, simply solder Purple on Sub loom to Purple in main loom, and so on, for all 7 wires.

For interchangeability, attach the plugs mentioned under "Parts" to both control unit sub looms, and to the main loom. Control unit looms both get the "female" side of the plugs, and the "male" goes onto the main loom. The 2 Green wires should be grouped onto the 2 pin plug, with the remaining wires utilising the 5 pin plug. (When attaching plugs, take care to ensure that each colour wire corresponds with its counter-part in the other loom.)

Now, find the constant power (memory) wire for your stereo. (If you have an aftermarket stereo, it is the yellow wire, orange for Pioneer.) Strip back a little bit of the plastic from this wire, and solder the 20cm length of wire you have into this wire. Attach the female spade connector to the other end of this wire. Ensure you cover the soldered joint properly with electrical tape. Now, connect the spade terminal to the single red wire left from the control unit sub loom. If you haven't already done so, connect up the plugs you attached to each loom, and connect the 2 plugs to the back of the digital control unit.

Before putting it all back together, you may like to test it. (NOTE: The auto function will not work without the sensor on the surround connected.)

Putting It Together

Put the control unit back in thru the stereo hole, and move into position. Replace the 4 retaining screws. Fit the stereo head unit back into place and secure with it's 4 screws. (Ensure the wire/plug for the sensor does not get caught in behind the stereo.) Now, attach the sensor plug and the little black tube, and clip the surround back in place, and, job done.......

To swap later, if required, it is now plug'n'play, for those who used the plug method, except you don't need to connect the constant power wire for the analogue unit.

For those of you who are average at this type of work, it should only take 1-1.5hours to do this swap.

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

Sorry man that aticle is only for the JDM cars. The US cars you must swap the blower motor speed sensor and all that other stuff.

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

Remember not all Silvias came with the digital climate control.

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

I believe its out of a 94 Maxima with digital climate control. That speed sensor will work just fine. So just ask the dealer for a blower motor speed sensor from a 94 Nissan Maxima (I dont remember what model .. GXE GSX ?) anyhow I know its the top of the line maxima for that year.

Dammitboy

Just out of curiousity I pulled the unit & yep, it's all different. Had to check though.

I'm still waiting for that dash harness. I figured they'd be pretty easy to find with all these swaps going on.

Kevin

nismo5521

i got the speed sensor from a maxima but the sensor only has three prong for the plug and the us one has four wich wires do i use to make it work of those four?

Dammitboy

Eric, ok FINALLY got my JDM dash harness & am ready to finish this bleaoch!

I will try & get a pic up of the harness soon, in the meantime, what's the best way to seperate the JDM DCC dash harness from the rest of the dash harness?

I remember you saying to as long as you had power to this harness, you were good to go. Where do you tap into it?

Thanks ALOT,Kb

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”