Silvia Digital Climate control Instructions................

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Dammitboy
Car: 92' Nissan 240

That sensor I circled came with the setup I bought. So you think it may not belong?

ericherm1
Car: 1997 Pickup XE 2.4L 4x4 Single cab short box
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR
1991 240sx SE SR20DET + S13 Silvia Front end swap (Sold)

Nope I don't think it is used with our setup. But can you take some closeup pics of it from the 3 views (top,bottom,side). We can try to figure out what it is from those.

Dammitboy

Sure, I'll take some tonite, The guy I bought my setup from said it all came out of his silvia clip.

What other sensors am I missing? Do I need any other pieces of a jdm harness?

Also, my pic of the heating unit, lower nipple where the temp sensor came from is circled- what part of that do I need?

Many thanks,Kb

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

The peice that I circled is part of that long ocordion looking sensor. It has a philips screw holding it in and if you look at your US airbox on the drivers side you will see a wierd looking trapazoidal hole that is not punced out. That is where you will put this peice and attach the round end of the flex tubing on that other sensor to the round outlet of that part.

You also need the front ambient temp sensor that is on the hood latch post.

If you can get the main harness from your friend that would work wonders for your swap. You can send me a pic of the harness if you get that one and I can do the best that i can by x-ing out the wires you don't need.

You will also need the ac/condenser sensors here's the pic of them again:

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

I'm on yahoo alot so you can IM me at " ericherm1 ".

Dammitboy

OK, cool. Those little details you fill in help alot. I won't be able to do any real work untill this w/e.

This is what I have function wise so far- key on & parking lights on will give me illumination. Pressing the buttons will activate the logos/symbols on screen, but no mode or blower action yet.

Pressing the REC button will activate the REC/Fresh air door however.

Motor idling, Pressing A/C button will activate the a/c compressor & condenser fan.

2 questions- I will plug in that blue relay this that came out of the usdm harness into the small jdm relay socket this w/e, will I get any blower function from that?

I noticed when I plugged in the air-mix door motor into the jdm harness, pushing the temp buttons did not activate the motor. Is this normal cuz it's not hooked up completely or is there somthing else wrong?

That's all for now, here's some pics of that sensor i'm not sure about.

Thanks always,Kb

Dammitboy

pic 2

Dammitboy

pic 3

Dammitboy

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

Nope I dont have that sensor, I have no idea what its for.

Dragon240

Hmm how important is that JDM Termo sensor, I think I tossed that damn thing by accident.

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

In order for the Auto mode to function properly you need that sensor.

Dammitboy

2 questions- I will plug in that blue relay this that came out of the usdm harness into the small jdm relay socket this w/e, will I get any blower function from that?

I noticed when I plugged in the air-mix door motor into the jdm harness, pushing the temp buttons did not activate the motor. Is this normal cuz it's not hooked up completely or is there somthing else wrong?

That's all for now, here's some pics of that sensor i'm not sure about.

Thanks always,Kb

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

You should get, with out rewiring or using the JDM main harness, get at least low and high settings but it will not turn off. Thats the problem that I ran in to.

The air mix motor will only change if you move the temp up alot or down alot. It will only move about 1 to 2 turns but its enough.

Dammitboy

No, I did'nt get that at all last nite. No blower function with the relay plugged in. No Air mix motor function either.

Hmmm.

Kb

Dammitboy

Remember you saying you had to use the main jdm harness. Do you mean just the dash jdm harness along with the DCC subharness or the WHOLE jdm harness, maybe you have an sr swap?

kb

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

yes I did the sr swap. But my dash harness is the USDM but the DCC uses the JDM harness with subharness. All I did was cut out all the non-dcc wires on the JDM dash harness and you wouldn't believe how small it becomes. The only wires you need on the JDM main harness are for the:

blower motorfresh air/recirc door motorblower motor speed sensorthermo sensorsun sensorair/mix motorbi-level door motorambient air sensor (goes on the hood latch support post)cabin air sensor (thing attached to the ochordian hose) 1 wire that goes to the gauge cluster for the tach (this can be spliced into the 6 pin USDM harness

Everything else can be discarded.

OH yeah I just left the USDM harness in and just shoved it back up in the dash farther.

The sr swap has nothing to do with installing a digital climate control.

Dammitboy

Ok, well I will get my hands on a dash harness soon then. I will complete this even if it kills me!

kb

Dragon240

Well I'm selling my car, but I've posted all the stuff I have related to climate control @ http://www.turbo240sx.org/fors...Stuff/

Car and parts for sale here: http://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=103502

Good luck to all of ya.

xero1
Car: 08 Altima Coupe

where is the Ambeint Air Temp Sensor located?

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Ok, darnit. I finally got around to starting this thing (for the 2nd time).

I cannot get a display going on in the digi climate. If I plug everything together, when I turn the ignition on, the defroster goes off full blast & no display on the climate control.

My problem w/ this (at least the defroster) is that I don't seem to have the plugs for the blower motor side - although my harness is seemingly complete.

I did the red wire -> red/black, green/white wire -> blue/orange (both verified w/ multimeter), red/yellow ground

Then I connected the air mix motor (a slightly getto way, but it is connected nonetheless.

Anyone got any ideas?

**EDIT: Also, I have a few plugs from the jdm harness that don't seem to plug anywhere, is this ok?

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

xero1 wrote:where is the Ambeint Air Temp Sensor located?
That sensor is connected to the subharness and is located on the radio trim panel on the JDM version.

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

Yes you will have 1 plug on the subharnness and a couple on the main harness way up in the dash that are not connected to anything.

If its going full blast in only 1 mode HIGH then you need to change the blower motor speed sensor to the JDM version or from a 96' maxima.

onosqv

ericherm1 wrote:Yes you will have 1 plug on the subharnness and a couple on the main harness way up in the dash that are not connected to anything.

If its going full blast in only 1 mode HIGH then you need to change the blower motor speed sensor to the JDM version or from a 96' maxima.
Ok, that helps a little. Well, I bought everything off Dragon240 - I'm still waiting/hoping he will reply to my questions - he said he had it running mostly.

He gave me a blower motor speed sensor - it has fins instead of the box/resistor thingy on the usdm on, but it plugged directly into the usdm plug. I can't find a similar plug on my jdm sub harness he gave me.

Hopefully I'll be able to take a few pics once I have a little bit of free time to take the car apart again .

The main problem right now is that most of the time I'm not getting a display - if I start pressing and holding buttons (like temp up/down), I can see the screen blip in really fast & go away.

I'll worry about the speed sensors and stuff after I get a working screen.

onosqv

ericherm1 wrote:Here is the blower motor speed sensor and thermo sensor with custom bracket.

I don't have a pic of the recirculate/fresh air door motor but you will have to splice from the JDM motor plug into the corasponding wires on the larger US OEM Analog Climate control plug, unless you can take the blower box out to get to the re/fresh air door motor. I could not with out taking the dash off so I just spliced the US OEM motor wires to the JDM ones.

Modified by ericherm1 at 4:19 PM 12/22/2004
Can you elaborate on this part? There's too many plugs for me to keep track of, haha.

For the air door motor, here is all I did:

- Remove old one & took out plug- Put in new one and plugged it from the subharness that comes w/ the digital control.

What should I being doing (what wires) w/ teh splicing of the US wires?

Also, what did you do w/ the metal rod that's left over from the cold/hot analog one?

Thanks so much.

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

You dont have to splice any of the wires on the main harness.

The subharness will not have the connector for the blower motor speed sensor, thats on the main harness along with the blower motor power, and thermo sensor.

Dammitboy

I'm still waiting to pick up a JDM dash harness to finish my swap. The way i get A/C is to hit the A/C button, put the recirculate/fresh button on fresh, & get up to speed on the highway for it to blow through! Have'nt been able to get my blower to blow or modes to work yet.

Regarding the temp. reading in celsius, I remember reading on the maxima cc swap- grounding a specific wire from the main control unit, that would give you a reading in farenheit. Anyone tried that?

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

They only read in C. The ones that were made for the maximas here in the states had the options of C or F. The JDM ones are only C.

onosqv

Ok, I've finally had time to take some pics. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

I'm still not getting a display on the control .

Here is what I did. * I have the jdm subharness for climate control & USDM Main harness. The main wires I haven't done yet is the blue/red ones you talk about on the climate side & main harness side. I have no ideas which those are.

Basically, for the blower motor side, all I've done is switch out the motor sensor to a jdm one & plugged the usdm one in. I don't know which wires I am suppose to attach/tap to any of the wires on that side of the car. I couldn't find the wires you were talking about on that side.

Things I could do:

Unplugged usdm fan relay. I didn't unwrap the wiring, do I have to? or is just unplugging the relay good enough? I wasn't sure what you meant by unwrapping & patching it together.

Cut the yellow/red wire on the main usdm harness & grounded it to chassis.

Took green/white wire, cut it, tapped it to ign+.

Took red wire, cut it, tapped it to bat+

Hooked up air mode door w/ jdm plug & left usdm plug unconnected:

Here are things unconnected/questions on:JDM side has 3 plugs unconnected. It is from the "middle harness" that contains the jdm fan relay, etc.

There is a 2 wire plug on the main harness I'm not sure if I'm suppose to do something w/:

Any help will be greatly appreciated. It sucks not to have climate control.

With everything plugged in, the car will start blowing through the defroster as soon as the car is turned into accessories mode. You can't turn it off or switch mode or anything. There is no display on the climate control. However, if you press/hold the mode switch button or a/c button, etc. You can see the lights blip on for a split second and then disappear. But of course, it doesn't do anything.

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

You need the ground. The red/yellow on the USDM main harness is what you will use for the ground, but you will cut it and ground the part that is going through the connector. If you ground the part that leads up into the USDM harness you are doing nothing for the control unit and could short out the main harness.

If you have the 3 (bat, ign, gnd) hooked up properly then it will work properly. If it doesnt you probably fried the control unit.

Its not that hard to fry the digital unit. I went through 2 of them during my install.

Extra units can be purchased from eBay for under 50 bucks.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”