Silvia Digital Climate control Instructions................

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ericherm1
Car: 1997 Pickup XE 2.4L 4x4 Single cab short box
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR
1991 240sx SE SR20DET + S13 Silvia Front end swap (Sold)

I have no idea why the pictures won't show up? They were working just yesterday.

Any Admin's or Moderators here that can help with the picture problem?

I'm guessing, I uploaded them to the NICO servers so there must be a problem with the forums servers.

If they can't figure this out I have posted all these pics in my yahoo briefcase:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/ericherm1

The pics are in the Folder "Digital Climate Control Instructions"

Thanks,Eric

chmercer

where did you get thoes wiring diagrams? I have one for an s14 with no harness so i am trying to find a pinout. do you know where i could find one? (for s14)

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

These are actually for a 96 Maxima with digital climate control. They are basicly the same between the maxima and the 240sx (S13). The S14 on the other hand is a little different. The wires are all the same but the order that they go into the back of the digital unit is different.

I found these wiring diagrams on the net in a maxima forum (turned up in a google search for "digial climate control").

I'm really not sure about the S14 digitial climate control. I know a bunch of people have done it but havn't found any info on it. In fact I had one that I was going to install where the stereo is and move the stereo in the spot where the cubby hole is on the s13. In the place where the stock unit goes I was going to put my gauges. But since I couldn't find any info on it I sold it on eBay and bought a S13 unit.

Sorry for the bad news but study the wire diagrams and tear down the controller and check the board inside it. Sometimes its labeled with 2 or 3 letter discriptions.

Best of Luck!

-Eric

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

Awsome, this should be a sticky in the Tech section.

I hope that more people that have done this swap will come in and offer their information as well. It woul d just make sense if people shared information rather than kept it to themselfs.

Thanks for the S14 links that should help him alot in his quest.

-Eric

GhostDrifter
Car: 91 240SX

This is my Harness that came with my Climate Control. Can you tell me what that part is that I circled and what those wires are for. The wires are Green/Yellow and Green/Black

GhostDrifter

So far here are the parts that I think I need:Mode Door MotorVehicle Sensor(91 Pathfinder)Ambient Temp. Sensor(91 Pathfinder)Sunload Sensor(96 Maxima)Fan Control Amplifier(93 Maxima)Aspirator(93 Maxima)

Can you tell me what else I need, where i can get a mode door motor, and if the Mode door motor is the same as an Havac motor

Dragon240

Ok, circled part is wires for sunload sensor i'm almost positive.

See pic for Mode Door Motor

No, not the same as Havac motor..

Dragon240

Also, that black plastic with the silver foil, yellowish foam on wire.. is the in-vehicle sensor, so you can take that off your list.

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

The cut wires are for the sun sensor and the other module that you circled is for the cabin air temp.

GhostDrifter

So, is that the complete harness and do I have to buy a Havac Motor too, or is it already in the car

Dragon240

It looks mostly complete, if by havac motor you mean blower motor, its in the car.. The other motors.. mode control motor, bi-level motor, if applicable, are in the car as well...

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

The Havac motor is the temp control motor. It replaces the manual temp slider in the analog climate control unit.

Dragon240

Oh in my experience thats always been called the air mix door motor.. because it controls a door that mixes hot and cold air to get the temperature you desire...

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

Your prolly right.

Dammitboy
Car: 92' Nissan 240

Hey Eric, got my harness, sensors & unit & already have questions. I'll post a pic to clarify later, but I 'm going from your first pic of the subharness with the 2 large connectors, specificly the large connector with no yellow on the ends.

There is a red/yellow wire you say to cut & ground to chassis, but on my connector some of my wires are different colors, I don't even see that color wire. Can you tell me what pin out it is?

Most of the wires on my harness match yours in color & location, but the black wires on your harness are pink on mine?

Thanks for your help,Kb

Dammitboy

Also, any special way to install the air-mix door motor?

Again thanks.

Kb

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

The wire that you will ground is actually on the USDM side of the connector, that is the red/yellow one that you will ground. Its eaisier to cut and ground that one than cut the one on the subharness. Specificly the one you are cutting is the 2nd illumination wire for the analog climate control. In the digital one its not needed and is gounded instead.

The pink wires are Ground on the USDM car, do not cut them and ground them. You will however have to locate the USDM High speed fan relay(BLUE BOX) and pull it out and unwrap the wires all the way to the main harness where they are split and cut them off and patch them together. The install will be insainly hard if you do not get rid of the US main relay switch.

Don't forget to repin the brown connector for the bi/level door. All you have to do is match up the wire colors. If you don't then when you get it put in you will have the blower blowing in your face when it says its on defrost and blowing in defrost when it says its in bilevel mode. (easy)

The air-mix door is very easy to install, the holes are already located on the box, just get 2 screws and screw it on and connect the swing arm. I have attached a pic from another guys site.

float_6969's pics of his air-mix motor (you must have an image station id to view them, if you don't its free to register):

http://www.imagestation.com/al...age=Y

Eric

Dammitboy

First of all, just want to say thanks for putting up with my 100 questions & sorry for being a pest, but I'm a visual guy, & don't work well with descriptions! I want to wire this up right & don't wanna screw it up! You said:You will however have to locate the USDM High speed fan relay(BLUE BOX) and pull it out and unwrap the wires all the way to the main harness where they are split and cut them off and patch them together. The install will be insainly hard if you do not get rid of the US main relay switch.

The high speed fan relay is mounted behind & to the left of the analog unit, right? Your saying to cut them off & patch what together? Please elaborate on this more.

You said:Don't forget to repin the brown connector for the bi/level door.

I will post pics of what I have soon, but where on the harness is the brown connector for the bi/level door?

Also, I don't have to remove the dash to install anything?

Thanks alot,kb

Modified by Dammitboy at 11:26 AM 1/16/2005
Modified by Dammitboy at 11:29 AM 1/16/2005

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

The questions are no problem at all!

When you take out your stereo you should see a blue box with wires coming out by the black air box, directly behind where the stereo goes. That is the High speed fan relay. The fan speed will not work on the digital climate control unless you remove this relay. It is already built into the subharnes. You will have to unwrap the fire tubing and electrical tape on the USDM realy all the way up till it connects with the main harness. There you will see the wires split and you will have to tap them together somehow. Your on your own with that, because I used my JDM main harness so I did not have to rewire the highspeed relay.

I retract what I said about the brown connector, its only on the JDM main harness that you would have to rewire it.

Did you check out the link I posted about the Maxima people doing the swap? They are building their own harness. I think that would be the best way to go that way you don't have to mess with the existing one and worry about the rewiring of the High Speed fan relay. Here is the link again:

http://www.geocities.com/cbmax....html

The maxima controls and wiring are exactly the same as the 240sx and silvia. If his page does not load then just wiat about 20min and retry, he gets alot of hits and goes over his quota alot.

You will not have to take the dash off if you don't want to. I didn't!

Eric

Dammitboy

Ok, I just now got a good look at what I'm dealig with & wow, I 've got some work to do. I just finished wiring the subharness the way you stated in the first subharness pic, unplugged the blue high speed fan relay, plugged in the climate control. I've got illumination, the different mode lights will work, I even hear the fresh air/ recirculate door open & close when I press the button.

But I do not have the airmix motor installed or the blower fan working yet.

Question- how the heck did you get the airmix motor installed? Looks like the bracket that comes with the silvia motor needs to be reversed?

On the subharness, It also has a blue female plug that looks like it could plug into the fan relay- do i do anything with that?

I will post pics of what i have harness & sensor wise. The harness looks complete, no cut wires. I beleive I am short a sensor or 2 though.

Thanks,

Kb

Dragon240

You'll kind of just have to make the air mix motor mount.. I got lazy and just screwed it to the vent tube behind the radio area, just 1 or two small holes, dont think it'll make much difference...

Dammitboy

Yeah, I saw a pic with some brackets attatched, so the fitment does not have to be precise?

kb

GhostDrifter

Here's a pic of the USDM High Speed Fan Relay(correct me if I'm wrong) and the 2nd illumination wire that needs to be grounded. But what I wanna know is if I have the harness in the pic that I posted earlier, do I have to tap the wires of the relay together or can i just use the harness i already have.

Dragon240

Fitment has to be good and tight, so that it pulls properly and covers the whole range of hot and cold,. I'm not sure on the relay. My JDM harness came with relay and connector attached to it, when I had hooked it up in my old 240 it had both relays hooked up and my fan control didn't work properly. .I had high and off.

Dammitboy

Wait, I thought in eric's first subharness pic the red/yellow wire to be grounded was on the big white female usdm plug, not the smaller one in ghostdrifter's pic. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Eric, did you try & plug that blue usdm relay into the blue jdm relay plug that's on the jdm harness?

Thanks,Kb

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

The wire to be grounded is the red/yellow coming from the large white female US connector. You must ground the side coming from the female side. If you ground the side leading up to the main harness it won't do anything.

Just take the blue relay that came off your USDM fan speed connector and put it on the JDM blue highspeed connector. They use the exact same relay.

The air/mix door motor can be mounted without any modification. It looks like its reversed but you can only screw in 2 of the 3 screws. Mine is working great and I have full range of temp.But if your worried about it you can get one from a 96 maxima, that one will be an exact fit and no modification to the metal fitment pin under the box.

As far as the blower speed. You are running into the same problem that I did. I still to this day have not figured that one out, thats why I just gave up and used the JDM main harness.

Eric

Dammitboy

ok, here's the sensors I have right now, I've already installed the sun sensor. (not pictured)

My subharness looks good & uncut, plugged into the cc unit & sun sensor so far.

Can you tell me what sensor is circled? Also, what other sensors do I need?

Thanks,Kb

Dammitboy

Also, anything I can do with this?

Kb

Dragon240

Don't believe the circled is a sensor, looks kinda like some type of amplifier like the one on my rear windshield wiper wiring...

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

Where did you take that sensor off of? I don't recognize it at all.

Here is what you need off of the air/mix box:

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”