Silly Q, Has anyone ever AWD a 240?

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
GTR-33

Wouldn't you have massive traction problems with a RWD RB26 setup? Thats why I wanted to know what is all involved with putting the AWD system on the car. Would it be easier to make a LHD 240, RHD for the AWD install? That would make the RB a whole lot easier to install to, since you don't have to worry about the turbo hitting the steering shaft. I really want to put some R&D into the AWD swap, any ideas?

Daunttless

Well, yes, it would be much easier to do, but that would pretty much destroy the whole purpose of doing a stock swap. : ) 99% of people don't want RHD. With RHD it might be easier, but it won't be easy by any means. I figure that there will be massive traction problems, and I"ll start exploring quite a few different paths not including that of back halfing the car. I'm going to keep the multi-link suspension and I"m going for RWD. If I feel like doing it just to do I'll put in the AWD, but I'd probably sell the car. The major problem is going to be fitting everything under the hood.

GTR-33

Fitting everything under the hood? What do you mean by that?

Daunttless

I mean finding room to put all the junk under the hood.

GTR-33

Please be more specific, what junk? The front drive, motor, what?

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I think daunt means the length. Take a straightedge and rest it on the motor in your 240 so the front end is about 3" away from the radiator support. Can you close the hood now?

Red Lightning

Has anyone in Japan ever swap the RB26DETT and the AWD system into a RHD Silvia? is the JUN (?) Silvia AWD?

Daunttless

Someone has probably done it, and it would be easier than here in American since you don't have that big steering shaft issue. : ) In Regards to the AWD, I'm not sure how it would sit, the GT-R Crossmember does not work to my knowledge, and the RB25, RB20, or A31 crossmembers wouldn't work with the AWD to my knowledge, which pretty much makes it a whole new ball game, also, as Mad said I'm pretty sure that with the AWD in there it won't fit under the hood, but we'll see I suppose. : )

GTR-33

If you mean lenght, that shouldn't that big of a problem with the 26. Are you welding custom mounts or are you using the GTR crossmember? I know the crossmember leaves the motor about a inch or two too high, although it does bolt up with the stock mounts. I would bolt up the crossmember, and cut the mounts down myself..The 20 and the 25 would be harder, because of the intake manifold on those motors, unless you weld your self a nice little sheet metal intake.:) The stock intake mani wraps over the top of the valve cover, that pretty gay, since it makes changing plugs on an inline motor, take hours instead of minutes.

No one to my knowledge has done the AWD swap... The Jun car is RWD...

Daunttless

No, I mean that things mount differently with the AWD in there. I wouldn't be using a GT-R crossmember for my swap anyways, and the RB26 crossmember is not transferable with the RB20, the mounts are the same, but the crossmembers are not.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I'll never tell, muwahahaha!

GTR-33

So.... I'm curious to find out how you might go about this, can you share any info on what you can do to make it work? What mounts differently? What will be in the way? I know someone knows something... Share the info, I don't want to find everything out the hard way... Even so, I can't wait to get started on my conversion...

PeaceJeremy

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”