signs of a bad Battery?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
skazzi
Car: Sports, Art, Music, Movies, Life!

Could someone please pass along some symptoms or ideas on the subject of dying batteries?

I'm a little tired of paying people to troubleshoot problems in my car, looking for a little info.

Thanks alot. :)

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Slow cranking, especially on cold mornings.

Dim lights in the cabin when you turn on the car.

Inability to hold charge (having to jump it constantly)

Typically a battery will last about 2-3 years depending on where you live... colder climates = longer battery life due to the slowing of the chemical reaction (also results in less cranking amps though)

skazzi

Thank you very much. :)

I'm also finding that the longer the car sits the harder it is to start, just as though the charge doesn't last. It's become harder also as the temperature has dropped the past couple days.

I did purchase the car just this month and prior to my purchase it had sat in storage for a good part of the year since march. I know that's probably not good for a few working parts.

My other concern (other than battery) is that it could be something else as I do smell gas when it does finally turn over for just a few seconds. The car has brand new fuel injectors. Sometimes 1rst gear until warm is a little shaky but once it does get running, it runs great, no problems with the idle.

Argh.

Thanks soooo much for your reply, I appreciate it.

Rex
Car: None

Does the car have any power windows/locks/seats?

A weak battery can show as very slow/weak movements of any power motors. If the windows/seats move better with high RPMs, then the battery isn't holding much charge.

Nismo_Freak

skazzi wrote:Thank you very much. :)

I'm also finding that the longer the car sits the harder it is to start, just as though the charge doesn't last. It's become harder also as the temperature has dropped the past couple days.

I did purchase the car just this month and prior to my purchase it had sat in storage for a good part of the year since march. I know that's probably not good for a few working parts.

My other concern (other than battery) is that it could be something else as I do smell gas when it does finally turn over for just a few seconds. The car has brand new fuel injectors. Sometimes 1rst gear until warm is a little shaky but once it does get running, it runs great, no problems with the idle.

Argh.

Thanks soooo much for your reply, I appreciate it.
Replace the battery before it leaves you stranded.

As for the fuel smell you need to check to see that the injectors aren't leaking, it's a common problem when people re-install injectors especially if you don't replace the 0-rings. From there trace it back from the fuel rail to the FPR on the end, then check the fuel-in line. Mine cracked and was leaking fuel after I replaced the fuel filter.

skazzi

Rex, my car does have power windows, A/C, CC, and Power Locks. I've not owned the car long enough to have noticed if these work better or worse in different situations. I'll pay close attention now, thank you. The rear window wiper seems a little slooooowwww.

The battery in the car has one of those little "eyes" to determine charge, green for good (can be tested), dark for needs to be charged to be tested. Mine is indicating dark. Also did not help my start problem by starting with a jump from another battery.

Nismo, thanks again. I will check and trace the fuel injectors. They were cleaned up by mr. mechanic a couple of weeks ago so I'll make sure there's no leaks now.

Cheers,

Nismo_Freak

Yeah, just get that battery changed out.

Sounds like it's gonna die tomorrow.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”