Side Step Available for Rogue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
PCY

Does anyone happen to find side steps made for Rogue, yet? I'm new to this truck/suv deal, so I'm just asking out of the blue.

Haven't really researched or looked into it, yet. But if anyone can give some pointers, I'd really appreciate it all.

-Peter-

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

Unless you're like 3 ft tall, you shouldn't need them.

PCY

I am kinda short at 5'5. And at my worksite, I had to switch from shoes to steel toe boots while on the car. So I was thinking that side steps would be convenient to make dirty than making the interior plastics dirty. Hence, still looking for side step options.

-Peter-

KenHash
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

I use to be a Jeep Cherokee (2) owner for some 15 years and I can tell youthat unless the running boards (I think that's what you're talking about)are made entirely from plastic, they are very prone to rusting on the underside. This was true of my factory Jeep running boards as well as my friends Nissan Pathfinder. Additonally, while running boards may be useful/look good on a real SUV(i.e.: truck-like) I have yet to see any on any cross-over SUVs such as theMurano. I doubt I would consider boards on my 08 Rogue even if they were available.

KenH

hurtinauto
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Check out this site...

http://www.ultimateautoaccesso...41407

If you get a pair...please post some pics!!!

hurtinauto

philipa_240sx

Nerf Bars.... I had these on my Pathfinder. The biggest question is how they attach to the body. This is not like a pickup where you can bolt into the frame.

joehughes

I have these on order, along with the Bull Bar.

I will post pics and a how-to once they get to me from them !!

Joe Hughes

chemiro
Car: Rogue

Can't wait to see the side steps installed. Have you received them yet?

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Having those on a real SUV makes sense. Looks rugged. I will reserve judgement, but the Rogue looks too "carlike" to have those side steps.Make sure you post some pics.Paul

joehughes

They are waiting at my house for me today.

The reason I am getting them is it is hard for me to lift my left leg up and down after my numerous surgeries (sp?) that I have had on that leg so anything that I can use to get an extra step for either leg getting in or out will be better for me in the long run.

And just in case you are wondering, 28 years old and 13 surgeries on my left leg. It is in pretty bad shape for somebody my age. But when stuff happens to you out of your control you find ways to work around. All the other SUV / CUV's that I have owned I threw these on right away and it did help with taking some of the stress off of my knee to get in and out of the vehicle.

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

That makes sense. I totally understand. I have arthritis in my lower back, so I know where you are coming from.

Paul

chemiro
Car: Rogue

Have you installed the side steps yet? Send us pics.......

irateknate
Car: Black '08 Rogue SL w/ premium

New to the forum and haven't really seen anybody link the sidesteps or bull bar accessories by Romic. Here's the link:

http://www.romik-usa.com/web-c....html

I hope that helps. Also I have also been thinking of adding the steps, or at least the bull bar. I know it is not a true SUV, but I want my Rogue a little sportier and I believe it will make it a little more attractive. I've been searching for the best roof rack/accessory. I want it to look decently sized, not hanging over the windshield. Always wanted a Thule cage, but now thinking about a Thule cargo box. What do ya'll think? And does anybody think it would look funny with the rear of the roof dropping/slanting down so greatly. Always had experiences with flat roofs, not contoured.

joehughes

Side Steps From SteelCraft:

DO NOT ORDER THESE. I ordered this kit, spent an entire weekend to try to fit a Direct Bolt-On kit onto our vehicles. In order to get it to fit, I would have had to drill out half of the holes on the vehicle they wanted to use for mounting because they did not include the right hardware. I called them on this and they told me that a new kit is already in production and it should be ready in about 6-9 months. They fully admit this kit is a development kit, and that they rushed it out the door to be the first one's out there.

I spoke with Alex at Steelcraft numerous times. He actually asked me to let him know the changes that needed to be made to the vehicle so he can change his engineer's drawings for the production. This doesn't sound like they thought this kit through or even installed one prior to selling the kit.

BULL BAR from Steelcraft:

This was more than a nightmare. After the delay of my shipment for more than 5 days after the delivery date I was told, I finally get this item. It is a hollow piece of TIN. This bar does not look or feel like it can withstand a hit from a piece of drywall, much less anything else.

I tried to install, and after 10 years being a engineer and a mechanic, I can say this is not a good installation. The want you to mount the Bull Bar using the Radiator support, which by the way is extremely weak, and also using the Body Mount Bolt. That is right two bolts to hold this bar up, and one of them attaches to the flimsy radiator support.

Even so, I continued on, after cutting up the undercarrage cover, that's right you have to cut the under support to get their brackets to fit in the car, I was amazed to find out that, OMG, the brackets don't even line up with the bolts on the car. Next to find the directions they have provided with the unit show the mounts go to the wrong sides of the car.

I have spent most of this morning on the phone with their engineering department telling them where items need to get cut, extended, flattened and finally new holes need to be drilled.

After all this my returns of these prodcuts are being refused because I attempted to install, and they only accept returns on UN-INSTALLED items.

Needless to sya I am pissed at Steelcraft and Ultimate Auto Accessories, they will get none of my business for the rest of my fleet of trucks, cars, and work vans. I have pulled my accounts from them and I advise nobody to order from them. They do not have their stuff together.

philipa_240sx

I am not suprised at the difficulty of mounting a bull bar. There isn't much to mount to esp. in the front as everything is covered by the bumper fascia and/or undertray. A secure mounting method would involve alot of cutting to get at the frame. It's not like the body on frame SUV's and trucks where there is all sorts of bumper mounts, tow hooks, etc.

I had both aluminum running boards and a side step on my '87 Pathfinder. Most mounted direct to the frame and had lots of support. I have looked under the Rogue and there is very little in the way of a frame to mount things too. I'm afraid any side step mounted to small portions of frame or door sill may not be able to take the strain of someone standing on it.

Clearly, any solution has to be properly engineered so that it will install cleanly and be durable. If anybody plans to undertake a project like this, be sure to contact the mfg and ensure they have test fitted their product before shelling out your money.

KARNYC

irateknate wrote:New to the forum and haven't really seen anybody link the sidesteps or bull bar accessories by Romic. Here's the link:

http://www.romik-usa.com/web-c....html

I hope that helps. Also I have also been thinking of adding the steps, or at least the bull bar. I know it is not a true SUV, but I want my Rogue a little sportier and I believe it will make it a little more attractive. I've been searching for the best roof rack/accessory. I want it to look decently sized, not hanging over the windshield. Always wanted a Thule cage, but now thinking about a Thule cargo box. What do ya'll think? And does anybody think it would look funny with the rear of the roof dropping/slanting down so greatly. Always had experiences with flat roofs, not contoured.
My local dealer sells these and they look great. I'm going there tomorrow so I'll snap a picture and post it.

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

After watching my 10 year old Ford Explorer's nerf bars rust away, I would never, ever consider them on another vehicle.

Oh, and a brush bar on a rogue? Like you are going to go into the deep woods with one. You might get it on a well used trail (as long as the ruts are not too deep.)

irateknate
Car: Black '08 Rogue SL w/ premium

That would be great if you could post a couple of pics! Thanks KARNYC, I really appreciate it. It would make my decision a little easier. And as far as them rusting, I stil may take my chances...not sure yet. Were the ones on your Explorer made by the same brand wesfear? Because if they are, I may have to stay clear of that brand? And when you say ten year old, the vehicle and the bars? Because I can live with 10 yr old bars rusting away, its just a part of the life of the product. I live in Texas, and everybody has step rails, nerf bars, grill guards, etc. From the fancy home-made diamond plate, to cheap stock stuff on vehicles. And for the most part, never heard anything too horrible, nor seen it. I do agree with you websfear on the fact that I will not be in deep woods, but it is not uncommon on the roads around hear to take out a front bumper or have an animal run in front of you.

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

They were stock from Ford. Started rusting on the drivers side at about year 3. I think the main cause here is the snow and salt, although it is odd that in my case the driver side one is much worse than the passenger side.

philipa_240sx

I had aluminum running boards from DeeZee on my Pathfinder. The boards themselves were fine, but the cheap zinc plated fastners corroded (galvanic corroision caused by dissimilar metals) and the boards literally fell off.

I replaced the running boards with SmittyBilt tube style Nerf bars. They were very solidly built, however 3 years of snow, salt, and gravel being thrown at them caused the powder coated finish to fail and they started to rust.

Bibbers
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Black

I Just got back from niagara falls canada, where i saw the exact same SL AWD Black rogue as mine , with the exception of running boards. After seeing how these look on a nicely washed black rogue, i've decided that i'm going to grab a set of these as soon as i can!They don't look tacky and you can never have enough chrome on Black!

PCY

Both side step ner bars and front guard bull bars are available on ebay for around 240 shipped now. Does any know if these are the same as romik's? Any inputs are appreciated in advance. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

-Peter-

philipa_240sx

I would contact the seller to get more details. The website shown further down the ad is not active (www.ariesautomotive.net) which leads me to be even more suspiscious.

KARNYC

I'm trying to upload the images, Dealer had a Rogue with boards and a Bullbar installed.

why is it so difficult to upload images?

philipa_240sx

There is no way to upload or host images on the NICO forums. You have to upload to a 3rd party site like Flickr and then link to the image. More here:

zer...tures

KARNYC

well lets see if this works, take a look at the bullbar as well

philipa_240sx

KARNYC wrote:well lets see if this works, take a look at the bullbar as well
Almost, I edited your post inserting the proper links and IMG tags.

The bullbar and side steps are made by Romik. It's nice to see some actual pics of them installed. What was your impression of them? Do they seem sturdy? Fit well?

KARNYC

Thanks

The boards were really sturdy, I'm 200 lbs and steped on them with ease. my kids will need them. the bull bar was really clean and I was impressed by the welds. super nice fit did not look out of place.

Quite impressed by their quality!

I ordered the boards on line from autoanything.com and I'm waiting for them

will take pics of my install as soon as I get them.

Venom_Rogue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Those pictures look pretty good, in for the update!

Sell_Nissans

Hello everyone. I am a Nissan salesperson and I have an elderly customer that needs side rails if he were to purchase a Rogue. Does anyone know what the step up height to the rails are? Thanks!

Return to “Rogue Forum”