Side mount intercoolers?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
usuck

Are there any aftermarket smic on the market? Something that can provide better than stock efficiency but still be tucked out of sight?

Daunttless

Nothing thats worth the money. : ) If you wanted to hide the fact you have an intercooler, you could just get some mesh and cover up your intercooler, and then tell the rice boys you got some cool gunmetal mesh for 60 dollars from the local rice shop. They'd figure you to be one of them and never even think you were ACTUALLY using it to cover a front mount intercooler. : )

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

hehe, i thought about actually doing this when ever the day may come when I can get a nice turbo motor to go with a FMIC :)

but I also wanted to just paint it flat black... would that affect it much you think?

something I was curious about

-Dan

Daunttless

I wouldn't paint the intercooler itself. It would trap heat and it would seal up the fins. I'd say paint the mesh.

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

also..to save money.an intercooler is an intercooler......right?like...lets say.... a nice HUGE one from a F350 diesel? :)just making the custom mountint.... other than that. it would be just as effective as a 1000$ FMIC, correct?or what.

-Dan

Atom12
Car: Baggo, cars, and more recently home improvement...I need a job.

Hahn Racecraft makes side mount intercoolers that they say are more effecient than front mounts up to 500hp. They're a local DSM tuner but they have some of the fastest eclipses, PT cruisers, sebrings, and neons in the world. Dunno if that helps. http://hahnracecraft.com/

I H8 UR DSM

jspec has a tomei intercooler, i believe....and its sidemount, and every efficient. Your other options would be to relocate the radiator, and relocate a front mount custom IC. you can put the IC inside the engine bay if you wanted...you could cut the firewall, move the engine back, and mount the IC horizontally if you wanted....

S13240

jspec.com has the ARC sidemount for $650 + shipping on their site right now..

Daunttless

IMO, for 650 you might as well pay 750 for a front mount from greddy or apexi. : )

S13240

True but what if people want the sleeper look and want a sidemount instead? :thinker

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

I wish I could have taken a picture but there was I guy that I met while out racing the ricers that had a big Blitz LM FMIC. It was covered by mesh that was painted black... I couldnt tell it had an intercooler till I got up close to it.

ST240
Car: RB30DET s13
01' Pathy

yeah cant you just use a smic from a turbo diesel truck from a wrecking yard? like would it work for stock boost?

-Andre

(yes im poor :( well actually im not but im only 17 so ive gotta scrounge every penny haha)

Daunttless

You can, but you'd need custom piping, and those coolers aren't very efficient. Most of them are damaged from the constant travel, and most of them the cores are too deep.

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

Daunttless wrote:Nothing thats worth the money. : ) If you wanted to hide the fact you have an intercooler, you could just get some mesh and cover up your intercooler, and then tell the rice boys you got some cool gunmetal mesh for 60 dollars from the local rice shop. They'd figure you to be one of them and never even think you were ACTUALLY using it to cover a front mount intercooler. : )
I've got some of that mesh stuff......REAL CHEAP.... you want it....

(Daunttless..:naughty )

sapix

If you jack an intercooler off something that had a huge one your likely to suffer more turbo lag and even a pressure drop (not sure on the pressure drop). Pick one the size you need.

If you want to keep your side mounts you could always check out Nitrous Expresses Ntercooler, it injects nitrous to cool the air down. That'd get expensive probably, but if you only used it when racing you'd be okay.

There are some places that can "paint" your intercooler. Its not actually paint, but it looks like it. Its some sort of coating that actaully increases the efficiency of the intercooler, plus it helps with the sleeper look.

boMex

While Daunt is right about painting the intercooler there is still a way to black out the FMIC. Swain Tech Coatings has a matte black coating that not only makes your IC disapear, it also increases the transfer of heat away from the FMIC. Sport Compact Car Magazine has used them on a few of their project cars with good results. Check them out at http://www.swaintech.com :sleep

Nils
Car: road racing

Jubs180 wrote:also..to save money.an intercooler is an intercooler......right?like...lets say.... a nice HUGE one from a F350 diesel? :)just making the custom mountint.... other than that. it would be just as effective as a 1000$ FMIC, correct?or what.

-Dan

wrong.

The core design of the FMIC is extremely important, you pay for what you get... this ALWAYS applies in the automotive performance world. A FMIC for a diesel truck probably has a completely different core design than a FMIC designed for a small 4cyl turbo sports car. You also have to worry about the FMIC not being too big since it will rob all air from the radiator and cause the engine to over heat while racing.

take care,nils

Nils

boMex wrote:While Daunt is right about painting the intercooler there is still a way to black out the FMIC. Swain Tech Coatings has a matte black coating that not only makes your IC disapear, it also increases the transfer of heat away from the FMIC. Sport Compact Car Magazine has used them on a few of their project cars with good results. Check them out at http://www.swaintech.com :sleep

One of my Supra buddies used Swaintech to coat his manifold, exhaust housings and DP and he swears by them.... I have heard VERY good things about Swaintech from other friends aswell.

take care,nils

Nils

Daunttless wrote:IMO, for 650 you might as well pay 750 for a front mount from greddy or apexi. : )

That is what I'm saying..... a FMIC facing the oncoming air with a larger area will cool air MORE than a smaller smic. The smic might be more efficient during spool up but once the turbo is hot the FMIC has to be better. An smic might give you a sleeper look but you will be sacrificing performance.

just my 2 cents.

take care,nils

Daunttless

Just on a post spree eh Nils? : )

You're trying to get rid of Mommy's car aren't you? : )

I H8 UR DSM

we'll have a party for daunttless when he gets to 1000

Daunttless

you are such a whore. =P

Nils

Daunttless wrote:Just on a post spree eh Nils? : )

You're trying to get rid of Mommy's car aren't you? : )

lol....

I just kept on thinking of stuff I should have said in my first post.

You know I cant be driving Momma's car for long ;)

n

Daunttless

I'll trade you my mom's car for your supra. : )

Nils

Daunttless wrote:I'll trade you my mom's car for your supra. : )

does she drive a RUF porsche GT2? If so.. then hell yeah ;)

Actually, I'm selling the car next week, already have a buyer who is flying in next week =(

n

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”