Shutter at red light 2002 Maxima 3.5 Auto

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
Ruff

I just bought this car and it runs fine with the exception of at idle at red lights usually after warm it shutter about one time every 30 seconds or so. No ck engine light on, no codes. Could a fuel filter or air filter cause this issue? Any advice would be great. Thanks

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Its unlikely to be a filter causing that. Usually filters restrict flow much more at higher RPMs/loads. If it doesn't have any issues while driving, I'd look elsewhere.

When was the last time the plugs were done? I can't remember if that car has coil on plugs (I think it does), or distributor, but you could also have a coil going bad (or distributor cap/rotor). Lastly, check your engine grounds to make sure they aren't corroded.

If it happens when your lights are on, do they dim/flicker as well?

Ruff

I just bought the car so don't know when plugs were last replaced but in does have coil on plugs, I will see if lights dim or flicker. I get what your saying about the filters, it seems to run fine at highway speed and other times. Thanks for your input. Is their a way to check coils?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I suppose you could check resistance on them. I'm not sure what the specification would be, but it might be outlined in the factory service manual.
www.nicoclub.com/fsm
You could also check them all, and if you have one that is WAY higher than the others, you know there could be an issue there.

95maxrider
Car: 1996 Infiniti I30, 1988 BMW 528e

Start with the basics- clean the MAF with MAF cleaner, clean out the throttle body. Checking resistance on coils can be a pain since with the 3.5 you will need to remove the upper intake manifold to pull the rear coils. Other common issues are clogged EGR valves and IACVs. It could also be as simple as a vacuum leak; most shops have a smoke machine to track down vacuum leaks. I would not think a fuel or air filter would cause this.

Return to “Engine Tuning”