Should I trade in my 04.5 Enth for a 05 Track?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I been thinking,..

I ,like my car ,but I kinda want a few Mods on it , bigger brake kit, nicer wheels as a minimum, maybe an upgraded oilpan too.

That will be approx $4500-6500.

Also at a later date I wanna go Turbo or Supercharger eventually, but the rods on the VQ35 arent that strong, BUT on the 05 Track they are strengthed, as is the valvetrain and the redline is raised from stock.

Aftermarket internals upgrades are several thousands of dollars.

So I am thinking, what about trading in my car for an 05 Track?

Yes I will lose $$ on the trade -in, but then I wouldnt have to do my most immediate mods ( wheels+brakes) and if I go forced induction I would be much safer to not go with upgraded internals.

Plus the 05 Track has an improved+better baffled oilpan.

I may talk to a dealer, but I have a feeling I wont lose all that much, since the Z's have had good trade-in value.

SO I really want what the 05 Track would offer, but I dont wanna make an economically stupid choice either.

Some may say, I will lose $$ regardless, but I am not destitute and work pretty hard to make $$, why not pamper myself when it comes to cars?

On the other hand if I dont trade in, my original deal is fair and if I keep it, I am driving a car thats very affordable to me especially if I decide not to Mod it and still nice.

Edit: Another caveat if I <dont> trade up, I will likely be able to pay off the car by March/April.

What do you guys think?

Fred...

90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

I say go for it, depending on the cost. You have to take into account a lot of different costs too (license plate, registration, taxes, insurance) that you'll have lost and will now have to pay again on an 05. The key is to make sure that this loss combined with the cost of the trade-in doesn't exceed $10,000. I think for $10,000 you can modify the internals to make them stronger than even the 05 internals. If it's less than $10,000, do the trade.

Nick

p.s. You should also take a step back and see if the 350Z was what you really wanted in the first place. You've never quite been satisfied with this car since you've bought it. That doesn't mean it's not a great car or that you don't enjoy driving it, it just means you need to look at what you really want out of A car, not just THIS car.

PalmerWMD

Oh but I love the 350Z.

Its just that I bought in a hurry and have always wondered if I would have been happier with a differnt trim/color combo.On the other hand taxes would own me and this <is> an awesome car.

Fred..

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

You have to justify the losses.. If your looking to spend 5000+ on mods to this Z, and you can get the track model (which is more built up) for about the same price, it seems kind of nice to get a new car, which you can customize your trim and options...

Personally, id do it, but then again, if your gonna do that, why not just go with a G35 coupe?

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Get the Track package Fred. If I was going to get a Z, it would be the one I'd get....

PalmerWMD

One other consideration:

If I dont trade up i can buy a lot of aftermarket stuff which is kinda fun

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

PalmerWMD wrote:One other consideration:

If I dont trade up i can buy a lot of aftermarket stuff which is kinda fun
Yes! This is the fun of having these kind of cars. I don't have one right now and I miss it. I wish I had a Z in the garage that is almost paid off with the option to do whatever I wanted to it. And to take that mofo to the track!

I say keep it, pay it off and do whatever mods you want. If you're going to go FI, you're going to lose your warranty so that becomes a moot point anyway. With the money you will surely lose on trade and trade difference, you could certainly get the forged rotating assembly. And how much stronger are the rods on the Track model anyway? I am not familiar.

As to the color combo, well your car is freakin' beautiful man. I see that car sitting on 19" Axis Hiro's, Volks or my personal favorite, the Simmons F-Series.

Have you had a chance to get it on a roadcourse yet?

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Well Fred,

I love my 350z Very much! I know you feel the same about yours.

The 05 Track is going to be a great car as it the 35th Anniversary. The better parts and minor changes seam to be for the good, although I haven't really had a whole lot of time to do the research. I would hate to give up any TQ even for the extra HP, but I'm guessing that with the extra RPM's its all going to be a wash or even a bit better performance out of the 05 Track/Anniversary.

After talking to you I suggest that you check on how much you will lose by trading in your 04 in on a 05 Track. The Brembo's and Rays are an awesome OEM upgrade IMO. Two things that I wish that I had. I was thinking about picking up a set of Track wheels but thy cost as much or more than a good set of aftermarket wheels.

If the dealers are going to rape you too bad on trading in your car on the Track then just stick with what you have and add the things that you want.

WheelsHigh Flow CatsGrounding Kitect...

I'll talk to the sales Mgr at Collins and have a few connections at Glenn as well. I might be able to find out about how much it's going to cost you on top of your car to drive off in a 2005 Track.

What color would you want if you did get a *New one?

jEzTeR

After building a 05 350z on Nissan USA site, it came to just under $36K!

I love the YELLOW BTW!

PalmerWMD

I would go with SS or DB

Fred..

jEzTeR

Those are Good colors as well.The Yellow screams 2005! (cause its the only year with that color)

PalmerWMD

The Yellow would be a great color for meets.

But too loud for speeding.

PPW is also a good one.

Fred...

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

i suggest your ultimate goals and final dollar figure.this is almost like a kat vs sr debate(a little)while we have never met, i dont take you to be the "wrenching till the middle of the night so you can drive it to work tommorow" type. but for that i would tell you to piecemeal your current z. lets face it, the z is the baddest car nissan makes now and one of the top 5 in nissans all time baddest. can you be content with 300 crank hp + maybe some bolt ons? or will you need the fi solution and accompanying headaches? i kind of wish you would keep your current z, pay it off, and get sick of it. then you could go fi, crank the boost, blow the motor, and swap in an rb26(it fits!). however, thats what I want. what do YOU want?

i do think the z is the ultimate(so far) nissan two wheel drive chassis. those are strong words as i have had a twin turbo and still have an s13. how awesome would it be with a "proven" nissan turbo motor?

dont listen to me. i am knee deep in "project". buy the '05 and slowly mod it untill the '07 gtr is available.

hatebobbarker
Car: 350z, 240sx(for sale)

PalmerWMD wrote:The Yellow would be a great color for meets.

But too loud for speeding.

PPW is also a good one.

Fred...

for the record i love my PPW.

the amount of money you'll lose isnt worth the performance gain in my opinion, your still gonna want to change the wheels, nobody knows how good the rods are, just they are "better." so its kind of a risk.

id love that motor, my friend is probably going to be getting it and i hate him for it, but do i want to loose THAT much money. No.

SDRonEbay
Car: Cars, trucks, cooking, reading

IMO, having experienced all of the Z's, there's the possibility you'll be disappointed if you upgrade to the Track model. You're paying for more hp in the 05 Track. 13hp to be exact, but think of this. If you had bought an 05 Enth at $30K, you'd have to pay an additional $4K for the 05 Track. How many addon's can you get for $4K? And with $4K couldn't you increase the hp more than 300? We say yes. Plus with increased stiffness it's going to give you more buttsores as a daily driver. You're only enhancing features that are relevant when you open it up on the track or when you're looking for a ticket. I say if you're considering an upgrade, make it the 35th Anniversary Edition. Call it an investment. The difference in it and the Track is only $2K or you could go for the 300hp model for a little more, then you would not be a self-indulgent wiener. You'd be a connoisseur.

Yes I was quoting Gone In 60 Seconds.

jEzTeR

One thing about the Track is that it also come with the Brembo's. That mod alone is very expensive. The 18" Rays that come on the Track are also just about perfect for the 350z (light strong and they look awesome although they arn't quite wide enough for my taste). Those two thinfg make up for the $4K extra on the sticker. The extra HP is off~set by less TQ on the 05 Track/Anniversary. I like the TQ best about my car.

I told fred if he does decide to trade his 04 in on a 05 then he needs to decide what he wants out of the car. In 15 years the Anniversary will be worth more than any 350z. If he is planning on keeping it a few years and then getting something else than the Track may be the best way to go.

SDRonEbay
Car: Cars, trucks, cooking, reading

Agreed, I've just lost a little faith in the Brembo's. I keep getting asked about the brake dust left behind on the G. Granted the G leaves a cloud of brake dust with or without the Brembo package but I'm not convinced anymore.

I like the torque profile on the Z. It's excellent as it is so I know why you fell in love with it. But as a Nissan (car) in general, it's going to deliver on torque. I think the question posed will produce a good decision either way he goes.

jEzTeR

True!

I wipe my wheels off every time I frive it. Good Brakes = Brake dust.

I think that the new ECU setup on the 05 Track will respond well to bolt on N/A parts.

PalmerWMD

Dane: I called several times, what did you find out today?

jEzTeR

Nothing.

ED (Azz) said they won't be getting any 05 Track's They have 7 new 350z's right now and several (5-6) used ones. I didn't want to talk to him much about it because he was kinda short with me.

I'll call Glenn for you sometime in the next day or so.

PalmerWMD

Ed is an embarrassment to that dealership

jEzTeR

Yeah I hope thay replace Tom with someone good. At this point no body knows who is going to do that job.

jEzTeR

.OK Fred-

Call Glenn Nissan in Lexington when you are ready to set up an appointment.

1-877-252-45763360 Richmond Rd.Lexington KY 40509

Ask for Sosha ( a Russian gentleman) in Nissan Sales, tell him that Dane told you to call him. He has your name and should take great care of you.

Like I said they don't have any 05 Tracks in yet and are hoping to have some by March. He said at this point you would want to order one in the color and options that you want because they don't get too many Tracks.

No MSRP yet at the dealership. NISSAN USA has the Track w/o options priced at $35,080.00 MSRP.

with all options... Packages and Options Side and Curtain Air Bags $620 Carpeted Floor Mats $80 Aluminum Kick Plate $100 Carpeted Trunk Mat $70 Cargo Convenience Package $80 Total Packages, Options, & Accessories $950.00 Destination & Handling $580.00 Total Configured MSRP† $36,030.00

I take both of my cars there for service most of the time and that is where I got my Altima.

Let me know when you are going and I might be able to meet you there.

PalmerWMD

They are closed for the day.

I'll try again later.

Fred...

PalmerWMD

Hmm,

I wonder what pre-order 05 tracks go for..MSRP?1k under MSRPOr?

Fred..

jEzTeR

I would guess that a New pre-order Track will be MSRP.

If I were you I would make an appointment and just kind of listen to them and feel out what they want out of you. Don't tell them what the most you will pay or what the least you will take for your car. In fact try not to talk much at all. Let them do all the talking. Then tell them you will think about it and give them a call. Leave. Then wait a few days and call back with a counter offer. Something that you think is fair for you and them. If they say OK then your set. If they say no the you just keep your car and go with the mods.

PalmerWMD

True dat.

The wheels am looking to buy if I keep my car at need to get sold now tho..

Fred...

jEzTeR

Lets see what those look like!

PalmerWMD

I am still waiting for pics.

Fred..

jEzTeR

I'ts hard to tell in those pics, but for that price they should be worth it no matter what you decide to do.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”