Should I get rid of my g37

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
mlbrickyard350z

I have a 2010 G37x sedan with about 65kmiles. Today there was a huge snow storm up where I live. I work in the medical field so I had to go work. After getting out of work the roads were awful and I had to drive through deep snow. My g37x, being awd did great almost the whole way until I almost got to my house. I had to stop and got stuck. After a while of going back and forth, revving the motor and spinning the tires I finally made it into my driveway. When I parked the car i noticed the temp was all the way on H. I stopped the engine and let it cool down, then tried starting it a short time later. When trying to start it, it would start run rough then die. It did this about 5 times in a row. I let it cool down some more then came back to start it again, it started after two tries ran rough for a while then went back to normal.

The car is running fine now, and engine is very smooth no no knocks, strange sounds etc. It appeared the fan/fans froze some time on my drive home, I am not sure how long my car was overheated for, which is concerning. Also the fact that it was revving up to 4-5krpm at times when trying to get unstuck while being overheated is concerning. I wish I would have noticed this sooner, however, I was concentrating on the road as the conditions were very poor/white out and I could barely see in front of me the whole time.

The SES light is now on. Im wondering what the chances are I did damage and if I should ditch the car/trade it in knowing the issues these cars have with the rear timing cover gasket/gaskets. I am also concerned I could have warped the head in this process, or cause the head gaskets to fail prematurely in the future.

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

Tough call. I suppose without knowing exactly how hot it got and for how long it's impossible to make a good prediction.

I'd suggest bringing it to a trusted 3rd party mechanic (since the SES light is on anyway) and have them do a quick look over everything (or I suppose maybe you can bring it to an Infiniti dealer). I'd assume that the computer was throwing codes (probably quite a few) when the engine was running rough and dying so have your mechanic look at those (or you can do it if you have a reader).

You can make a better assessment of the situation when get that additional knowledge.

Good luck, Lars

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”