Should I flush trans and brake system? 2011 pathfinder 90k miles.

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
AFunfinder11
Car: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hi. For a 90k service is it ok to only drain the brake and transmission fluid and not flush them with a machine? Should I get the systems flushed?

I just purchased a 2011 pathfinder LE 4x4 from carmax with 93k miles. Paid a lot of $ so I'm trying to give it the best shot at working for a while.

I just had a mechanic do a 90k miles service on it. They mentioned some of the fluids were dirty but that the vehicle is in A++ shape. No codes in the computer and it would pass smog. They mentioned they haven't seen one this old that is in this good of a condition. They changed the serpentine belt, drained the brake fluid, radiator fluid and transmission fluid and some filters.

The mechanic didn't "drop the pan" and only drained the brake and transmission fluids. The brake and transmission system were not flushed with a machine. I was told that flushing the systems with a machine can possibly cause more harm than good by stirring up sediments in the system. I plan on doing some off roading, already found a dirt hill that I hit the running boards on, so I'm guessing that may stir up sediments.

So I'm wondering if I should take it to another mechanic and have the brake and transmission systems actually flushed with a machine and have the "pan dropped", or is that a bad idea.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Your brake fluid is good as can be, now that the system has been bled and refreshed with new fluid. The vacuum means of doing that is faster. That's about all. As for the transmission, the filter should have been dropped and changed. That would have also removed about 2 quarts more than just draining it. I wouldn't flush it. The risk is not worth it. Change the filter next time the ATF is changed, which should be more frequent than usual for older vehicles. I'd go 20k miles and get that service done again. When you have that service done, be sure you have the mechanic remove all the metal filings which normally accumulate on the magnet trap at the bottom of the transmission pan. All your fluids should be changed to be sure you have everything at it's best, which should included your rear end differential, front end differential, and transfer case. If your front wheel bearings have not been repacked with fresh grease, do that as well.

AFunfinder11

Thank you mdmellott for the infos.

What kind of transmission fluid should my 2011 Pathfinder LE 4X4 get?
The mechanic put in D matic but a new mechanic I just called said it should get S matic.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

They're both right, the tranny takes S and the transfer case takes D. Types S and J are cross-compatible, D is just glorified Dex3. You can find the recommendations on MA-18 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 1%2FMA.pdf

AFunfinder11

Thanks VStar650CL for the reply. The info is greately appreciated in helping me take car of my newly adopted Pathfinder.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”