WHATS YOUR 1ST 'GO-TO' WEAPON IN HOME DEFENSE?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum

WHATS YOUR 1ST WEAPON YOU WOULD REACH FOR, IN HOME DEFENSE?

PISTOL
71%
AIR GUN(not air soft)
No votes
AR / TACTICAL RIFLE
21%
SHOTGUN
7%
HUNTING RIFLE
No votes

Total votes: 14

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

WHATS YOUR 1ST WEAPON IN HOME DEFENSE?
(please dont post what you would use, if you had that weapon. only post what you truly currently own)

SHOTGUNS FOR PRIMARY HOME DEFENSE: YES? NO? WHY?
(whats your opinion in this?)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ImStricken wrote:WHATS YOUR 1ST WEAPON IN HOME DEFENSE?
(please dont post what you would use, if you had that weapon. only post what you truly currently own)
glock17, with 115grain FMJ
(i also have a Advantage Arms .22lr conversion kit for the glock17 that i just got, and i am looking for a cheap frame to put it on to when not at the range. I want it for Ms. ImStricken to have while i catch up her up in shooting a 9mm, before she takes up the Glock19).
ImStricken wrote:SHOTGUNS FOR PRIMARY HOME DEFENSE: YES? NO? WHY?
(whats your opinion in this?)
to cumbersome in all aspects. from not holding enough ammo, to trouble room clearing = i dont want it nor would even reach for it.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

SR40 with hollow point.

Maverick 88 full length shotgun is back up, with alternating 00 Buckshot and deer slugs. 5 in the tube and 5 more on the buttstock wrap.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

MaximA32
Car: '98 Maxima (RIP)
'04 Maxima - Traded
'06 Mazda 6S- Traded
'15 Altima

I currently have my Sig SP2022 in .40 with a full mag of Federal HydraShok in the safe so that's my first grab since it's the only thing I currently own.

I plan on picking up a pump action 12ga at some point and I'll load it with alternating slug and 00 buckshot like Biggie. To me, I can't imagine a scarier sound to an intruder who's in a dark home he's not supposed be in than the sound of a shell being racked into the chamber by an armed homeowner.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

MaximA32 wrote:I can't imagine a scarier sound to an intruder who's in a dark home he's not supposed be in than the sound of a shell being racked into the chamber by an armed homeowner.
since i keep 3 things by my bedside at all times: phone/tactical flashlight/gun, my plan is to not make a single decibel of noise if i know there is someone in my home. racking a slide loudly enough to "scare" an intruder will give up your position. If his shotgun is already loaded with one in the pipe, he could unload a sh*t load of buckshot in your direction without you hearing any "chick-chick" as a warning sound.

my plan:
1. make as little noise as possible
2. grab a phone & dial 911 while taking take cover - aiming at the door of the room your in.
3. listen for the intruders general location
4. whisper if you can to the 911 operator "INTRUDER" and leave the phone open for the 911 dispatch tapes to record your incident.
5. IF YOU HAVE TO (only if you have family in other rooms) venture out and attempt to get a visual and give verbal orders.

MaximA32
'04 Maxima - Traded
'06 Mazda 6S- Traded
'15 Altima

And that's where my dilemma is, I have four other bedrooms to account for and they all have people in them. Not a chance I'm leaving those rooms unchecked if someone is in the house.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

MaximA32 wrote:And that's where my dilemma is, I have four other bedrooms to account for and they all have people in them. Not a chance I'm leaving those rooms unchecked if someone is in the house.
then i highly suggest learning to "slice the pie" - great technique mil/leo use.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJdvdiTrquI[/youtube]

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

XDm 3.8 compact in .40SW. It has night sights and will soon have a weapon light and possibly a laser. I usually load it with 180gr Winchester Ranger JHPs.

My 556 would be good. It only has a 10" barrel and no stock so it's very compact, the 5.56 caliber is formidable compared to a handgun and the "high capacity mag" ensures you could clear the house of a small gang if need be. Unfortunately, the idea of the prosecutor holding up my scary "assualt weapon" and calling me all manner of mean things sounds like something best avoided.

I wouldn't use a shotgun. It's to long and difficult to maneouver and I don't think you should be spraying buckshot around the house indiscriminately.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

themadscientist wrote: Unfortunately, the idea of the prosecutor holding up my scary "assualt weapon" and calling me all manner of things sounds like something best avoided.

I wouldn't use a shotgun. It's to long and difficult to maneouver and I don't think you should be spraying buckshot around the house indiscriminately.
i agree 100%.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

cool flashlight lesson.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqkqgrfI-4Y[/youtube]

MaximA32
'04 Maxima - Traded
'06 Mazda 6S- Traded
'15 Altima

I do keep a SureFire E1B Backup next to my Sig in the safe. It has two levels of output, 200 Lumens and 5 Lumens. I love it and it's great for blinding the crap out of someone and then dropping to a low level tactical output.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIpHUNpynTo[/youtube]

admin

My AR is first...with the flash hider I have I'm less likely to be blinded if I take a shot and the EO Tech I have on it is a lot easier to get on target during a stressful situation than a handgun. I've trained pretty extensively with AR and AK rifles, so it happens to be more comfortable to me as well.

Shotgun is worthless for home defense. If you come across more than one guy, you're likely going to shoot one and be blinded or disoriented by the splatter and get your a** kicked by the other.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

admin wrote:My AR is first...with the flash hider I have I'm less likely to be blinded if I take a shot and the EO Tech I have on it is a lot easier to get on target during a stressful situation than a handgun. I've trained pretty extensively with AR and AK rifles, so it happens to be more comfortable to me as well.

Shotgun is worthless for home defense. If you come across more than one guy, you're likely going to shoot one and be blinded or disoriented by the splatter and get your a** kicked by the other.
+1 - what he said!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

MaximA32 wrote:I plan on picking up a pump action 12ga at some point and I'll load it with alternating slug and 00 buckshot like Biggie.
your welcome: :biggrin:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg44jDOL8jo[/youtube]

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

That stuff kicks pretty good. I tried it in a buddy's .410 Judge. Even from that pistol it grouped nice.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

Depends on how I fell asleep on my bed. At the foot there's a Mossberg 500 with 5 rounds of buck and a war hammer. At the head an XD-45 with 13 rounds of Winchester svx in the mag and a ka-bar.

Mr1der

The slug/buck combo pdx1 stuff isn't bad. I need to stock up on some federal 00 with the true flight wad. That stuff groups fantastic.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Browning High Power is my current HDW.

I like shotguns, but not for home defense. I have 3 children and I don't like the idea of discharging a shotgun in a house they are in. It's just too indiscriminate of a weapon.

I also have a flashlight and crash axe next to my bed.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

I chose pistol, even though #1 is a revolver, and my #2 is a pistol.

#1 is a Taurus Model 85 in .38 Spl +P, Gold dot home defense rounds, and 3 speed loaders with the same rounds. I've practiced and I'm down to about 1 second calm, and about 2 and a half after doing some pushups and cardio and getting my pulse up.

#2 is my Springfield XD .45, Hornady Zombie Max (A.K.A. critical defense), 2 loaded mags sitting with it.

If they can stand through 35 rounds of home defense ammo after a break-in, I'll let them have the damned TV.

Mr1der

Shotguns with a buck load likely won't spread bigger than my fist in a house.

They very much must be aimed. The big payload of lead is the perk of them.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

In my Apt from my usual locations (in front of TV, in bed, i front of computer, on the kommode) I am never more than 4 feet away from a loaded .357 Magnum Revolver. :D

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Beretta CX4 with laser/light loaded with 29 9mm HD rounds with wife backing up with her gun.
Two kids are out of the house.
If third is home downstairs, we have a plan. He has his own SR1911
Also have two aussies running loose in the house. Very protective breed.

Unicorn
Car: 2013 Rogue S, Special Edition AWD

Primary is a 1911 because it's small and easy enough to have near. If I have the chance I'll grab my AR. In testing it's been proven that .223/5.56 has less penetration through walls than pistols. It's about momentum and a 115gr 9mm has more momentum than even a 77gr 5.56. Same reason I'd prefer a 12g over a pistol if possible... if loaded with 00 Buck. Those pellets are fairly light. A slug would be bad though.

WDRacing

Not sure where you're getting your info but the only round not going through at least 4 sheets of drywall is a shell of birdshot. Everything else passes through 4 sheets of drywall with relative ease.

veery
Car: 06 M35x Umbria Grey

Most of the birdshot will get through as well, but changes direction a lot. That's my only choice as the trap gun's the only one I own. Well, the 410 for squirrels doesn't really count, but could certainly take someone down.

WDRacing

Most of the birdshot won't penetrate through two sheets of drywall though. They will pass through one easily enough, but most of the shot gets stopped in the second sheet. I say most because there is always a chance some will make it through. In the test below, none made it through a single sheet.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... and-walls/

The shot plug travels farther than the bird shot itself does.

It also mentions the 556 changing directions a lot as well.

veery
Car: 06 M35x Umbria Grey

WDRacing wrote:Most of the birdshot won't penetrate through two sheets of drywall though. They will pass through one easily enough, but most of the shot gets stopped in the second sheet. I say most because there is always a chance some will make it through. In the test below, none made it through a single sheet.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... and-walls/

The shot plug travels farther than the bird shot itself does.
I will be testing this. My 410 certainly seems to penetrate, but perhaps the 12g carries less force as it's distributed over more shot. Of course the range to the drywall is critical.

WDRacing

Correction, they said/showed the shot penetrate through one wall, 2 sheets and stop at the second wall, 3rd sheet.

So birdshot will go through 2 sheets but lose terminal velocity by the 3rd sheet.

Unicorn
Car: 2013 Rogue S, Special Edition AWD

WDRacing wrote:Not sure where you're getting your info but the only round not going through at least 4 sheets of drywall is a shell of birdshot. Everything else passes through 4 sheets of drywall with relative ease.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I know buck will penetrate a few walls, but not as much as many think from watching tv and movies. A typical handgun will penatrate more than 00 or even 000 buck. If I shoot 00 acing the way I am now, it might not make it into my neighbors' house. A 9mm is more likely to. A pellet gun can go through a couple layers of typical drywall.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”