Short throw shifter

All things Altima Coupe.
LinkNuc
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE Super Black 6MT, Loaded minus Moon Roof Deflector

You must have orderd the knob fromthe same place i did, they have a super fast turnaround, mines already on its way.

Car Beyond Store ?

Blackmobile
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S Super Black

Alt.ImaCoupe wrote:Once it warms up a bit, I'll try the redline fluid as well.
you read my mind, i'll be doing the same for sure, though i might get it done somewhere, like Mr.Lube or something. Just have to find out what places sell redline around here.

Racingline

^^^lordco has it and so does crappy tire.

but I'm sure lordco will give a better price

Blackmobile
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S Super Black

cool yeah i thought that cdn tire would have it but couldn't find any when i went there. figures that lordco has it, they have freakin everything.

GreyZone
Car: AC 3.5 SE 6MT Dazling White

mcheddadi wrote:Belive me when I say that YOU NEED a heavier shift knob. if you like your short throws, YOU WILL TRIP BALLZ when you try it with a heavier shift knob. the car guys will know what I mean when I say that the with the knob + sts + MTF you car shifts better than an s2000!!!!!!

Seriously guys, GET A FREAKING HEAVIER SHIFT KNOB!!! min 340g !!! its THE BEST FEELING EVER!
I gotta say, NEVER HAVE TRUER WORDS BEEN SPOKEN!!!! Whoa!!! I got the RAZO RA96 based on mcheddadi's suggestion and it's like a totally different transmission, from clunky shifting to smooth...

next saturday Im gonna go to docs and we're gonna put on my STS and injen intake...man, that shift knob rocks!!!!!!!! Not to mention the G37 wheels I just scored off ebay, ohhhhh they looook soooooo gooooooood I'm drooling
Modified by GreyZone at 6:11 AM 1/17/2009

mcheddadi
Car: R8

GreyZone wrote:
I gotta say, NEVER HAVE TRUER WORDS BEEN SPOKEN!!!! Whoa!!! I got the RAZO RA96 based on mcheddadi's suggestion and it's like a totally different transmission, from clunky shifting to smooth...

next saturday Im gonna go to docs and were gonna put on my STS and injen intake...man, that shift knob rocks!!!!!!!! Not to mention the G37 wheels I just scored off ebay, ohhhhh they looook soooooo gooooooood I'm drooling
hell yeah! Nissan was soo cheap to give us that craptasticly light weight OEM knob lol

Alt.ImaCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe

LinkNuc wrote:You must have orderd the knob fromthe same place i did, they have a super fast turnaround, mines already on its way.

Car Beyond Store ?
Yep, that's the place. It's been a week now, so I hope it comes soon.

Viper5000
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE/6MT

Nevermind.....

I posted asking how the STS actually shortens the shifter. Then after reading through the posts again and starring at the pics, it just clicked

Modified by Viper5000 at 10:59 PM 1/19/2009

RobPaulson
Car: 2013 Subaru WRX

mcheddadi wrote:
hell yeah! Nissan was soo cheap to give us that craptasticly light weight OEM knob lol
hey mcheddadi where do u recommend picking up that weighted shift nob?? whats a good price on it?

GreyZone
Car: AC 3.5 SE 6MT Dazling White

I got mine off of ebay for $38.00

mcheddadi

I got mine on ebay when the canadian dollars was good, so I ended up paying 40$ shipped.

use http://www.froogle.com with keyword "ra96"

should help out, but the cheapest I could find is 42$ with free shippinghttp://azcustomcars.com/produc...98158

amazon had them cheaper as well as lots of other sites but seems everyone is buying them all up lol

mcheddadi

just wanted to let you guys know that I've found some guy that makes custom shiftknobs, he is already selling ones (the Subaru STI ones) that are compatible with the reverse lock. here's one thats made of solid stainless steel for 75$ this one is a MASSIVE 526ghttp://store.lathewerks.com/pr...00d41

looks amazing and he even can customize it for anyone. he has lots of other designs if anyone else is interested.

here is another one (really heavy 465g):http://store.lathewerks.com/pr...00d41

here are all the STI knobs he doeshttp://store.lathewerks.com/in...00d41

LinkNuc

I was just thinking could probalby have someone at my old High School, whip up one of these on teh lathe for less than a buck 2.98. Tap and die good to go..oh well, hope mine shows up today.

RobPaulson

mcheddadi any reviews on that guys stuff around?? looks pretty ligit but i dont wanna guinea pig this =/

also, any drawbacks to the super heavy 400-500+grams??

EDIT: Way to excited about this, i just got it from the same site as linknuc, asdfjljflajf i cant wait to install these!!!!!!!!!!

Modified by RobPaulson at 8:30 AM 1/20/2009

Alt.ImaCoupe

LinkNuc wrote:I was just thinking could probalby have someone at my old High School, whip up one of these on teh lathe for less than a buck 2.98. Tap and die good to go..oh well, hope mine shows up today.
Well if you still haven't got yours...I guess I'll be waiting a little longer also. I did change my fluid yesterday to the Redline synthetic stuff though, so I'm ready for the knob when it arrives. The shifting feels a bit more slippery, but it's still somewhat clunky between gears. The stuff sure isn't cheap, cost me 18 bucks a litre (or actually US quart).

RobPaulson

Alt.ImaCoupe wrote:
Well if you still haven't got yours...I guess I'll be waiting a little longer also. I did change my fluid yesterday to the Redline synthetic stuff though, so I'm ready for the knob when it arrives. The shifting feels a bit more slippery, but it's still somewhat clunky between gears. The stuff sure isn't cheap, cost me 18 bucks a litre (or actually US quart).
ya but how often do you actually need to replace the gear oil?? doesnt it have a very long 'use' life in the car??

LinkNuc

I am thinking it will be here when I get home, the mail wasn't delivered yesterday due to Dr. MLK Jr. Holiday. So I'll let ya know. I think I am going to do the mcheddadi do da polly wolly doodle all the day redline change as well...or I may just go with a Castrol or Valvoline Synth whichever's available in GL-4 75W-85...really depends on what I can find...suff ain't easy to locate

RobPaulson

LinkNuc wrote:I am thinking it will be here when I get home, the mail wasn't delivered yesterday due to Dr. MLK Jr. Holiday. So I'll let ya know. I think I am going to do the mcheddadi do da polly wolly doodle all the day redline change as well...or I may just go with a Castrol or Valvoline Synth whichever's available in GL-4 75W-85...really depends on what I can find...suff ain't easy to locate
ya I had to order the oil online and have it shipped to my house. Had the dealership put it in for me cause I dont have the proper tools to lift my car SAFELY.

the STS looks DIY-able, hope its not too much in a crowded not-so-well-lit garage =/

Alt.ImaCoupe

LinkNuc wrote:I am thinking it will be here when I get home, the mail wasn't delivered yesterday due to Dr. MLK Jr. Holiday. So I'll let ya know. I think I am going to do the mcheddadi do da polly wolly doodle all the day redline change as well...or I may just go with a Castrol or Valvoline Synth whichever's available in GL-4 75W-85...really depends on what I can find...suff ain't easy to locate
I did the oil change at my mechanic friend's shop so I could use a hoist, and because it's so freaking cold out... but fwiw his internet based technical resource said that the MT-90, although it's actually 75W90 was the specified replacement for the Nissan 75W80 trans oil. I did the mix thing like mcheddadi, but had I known that in advance, I might not have bothered.

Good luck on the knob....

LinkNuc

Thanks for the heads up...knob is here...ordered 1/15/09 PM...here today...1/19/09 was MLK holiday no mail...I am quite happy w/ shipping, this is a nice knob (that what she said)...it of course ahas dropped back into the "come on already, 9 F shouldn't feel warm)...but, well done nice piece...thanks mcheeddi hi mecha hiney hoe...

Alt.ImaCoupe

That's good news because I ordered mine on the 12th, so I'm hoping it'll be here soon...like tomorrow. Really, how much longer can it take them to realize that it's just a KNOB and let it across the border? Maybe a dumb question. Although as you say (or she or someone did), it's a NICE KNOB.

RobPaulson

just got the email today, STS is 'in transit', W00T!!!!!!!

LinkNuc

Confirmed, STS kit on its way

LinkNuc

Holy Fuc*bawlz!!! I can't get my knob off (that's what she said?). And of course I lent my channel locks out...grrr...oh well, supposed to be awesomely warm tomorrow like 40 or so, NICE I'll be wearing shorts...guess I'll pick up a new pair 'cause yinz know what lending tools out is like.

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Haha i said that at work today.

40 degrees im gonna wear shorts

ouch lending tools sucks...

Viper5000

Some people are just wimpy I guess. j/k I was able to get the shift knob off with my bare hands.......

Use the force within

spockrock
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5se

Hey guys,

I really like the nismo shift knob, but .... they would prevent the reverse pull up from working.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/...-3527

That's the kind I really like, has anyone seen a similar style, that work for our coupes?

mcheddadi

spockrock wrote:Hey guys,

I really like the nismo shift knob, but .... they would prevent the reverse pull up from working.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/...-3527

That's the kind I really like, has anyone seen a similar style, that work for our coupes?
yes...check this link I posted like a million times:http://store.lathewerks.com/in...00d41

get the stainless steel one for MAXIMUM weight!

LinkNuc

Grumble, I will snap your face off...or not really...I will snap your face off...ugh...sum a beotch....WTF....I bought the beotch in Ohio

Viper5000

LinkNuc wrote:Grumble, I will snap your face off...or not really...I will snap your face off...ugh...sum a beotch....WTF....I bought the beotch in Ohio
???

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”