Short throw shifter

All things Altima Coupe.
GreyZone
Car: AC 3.5 SE 6MT Dazling White

Maybe this is too obvious...how bout a picture of the completed short shifter from inside the car, as in how it looks from the drivers seat?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???????

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

@ racingline - haha i realized that when i was posting the pictues. The second we got the STS unit installed i was putting my air intake back on. Whoops. i will fix it.

@ viper - not counting the uninstall of the factory airbox/aftermarket intake. The install took about 20 mins. Strength is more important. How long does it take to pop off the pivot joint and the cotter pin. Everything else is 1 2 3 easy.(we used a wrench screw driver combo, and the part came off right away)

@ grey - well the shifter didnt change, but it does look different. The shifter doesnt go as far forwards and backwards.

i gotta work in 20 mins so unless somebody beats me to more pics i will take them when i get outta work.

One Crazy Max
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 6MT

GreyZone wrote:Maybe this is too obvious...how bout a picture of the completed short shifter from inside the car, as in how it looks from the drivers seat?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???????
i dont believe the height of the stick changes at all, just the amount of throw from the shifter. im guessing it resembles the STS from the 05-06 SE-R

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

STS Unit

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

NeutralFirstSecondThirdFourthFifthSixth

Blackmobile
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S Super Black

Nice setup, those throws are way short. Looks like i've figured out my next mod

phobs

that looks real good! I wish NISMO will come out with a shift knob that will fit our cars, that would just complete the set up

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

Schweet! Now all we need is a shorter shifter!

GreyZone
Car: AC 3.5 SE 6MT Dazling White

Awww, man, that is just toooooo cool!! I thought the actual shifter got swapped out and would be shorter...I've been thinking, "Damn, I love the height of my shifter" and was trying to imagine shifting with the actual knob a couple inches lower...the fact the throw has changed but the height remainded the same is just fan-f-ing-tastic!!

Joe just sent out mine today, so I should have it shortly...and my G37 OEM Wheels are on the way (only 5,000 miles on Bridgestone rubber) as of today also!!! Gotta love it!!

I'm sooo addicted...

mpbclutch33
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5L, 6-speed, Radiant Silver.

I am kind of confused! Is there (2) kits out there? There looks like there is 2 different brackets installed in the pictures above. If it just a bracket with 4 holes in it, why is it $120+? Don't get me wrong, I will prob. get one, but not seeing where the cost is coming from.

Blackmobile

I believe yes there is 2 kits, one for the 2.5 and one for th 3.5, however the pics show 2 parts to the same kit i'm pretty sure.

the price comes from making the part, materials, overhead & profit you know, the usual business stuff.. it would be pretty tough for an average joe to make sometihng so specific on our own.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

Blackmobile wrote:I believe yes there is 2 kits, one for the 2.5 and one for th 3.5, however the pics show 2 parts to the same kit i'm pretty sure.

the price comes from making the part, materials, overhead & profit you know, the usual business stuff.. it would be pretty tough for an average joe to make sometihng so specific on our own.
nope, there isn't two kits, there is only one for all 6MT. I've confirmed it for Joe since I was prototyping to see if the 3.5SE had the same clutch bracket as the 2.5S.

there are 3 important parts in this kit, the STS adapter with it's bottom plate and the Clutch cable bracket.

Precise engeneired to make the throw shorter while still keeping the clutch cable straight where it attaches to the pivot ball. It's really awesome to see when you install it. super ingenious

can't get over the fact of how awesome it is but now I'm getting a heavier knob as my next upgrade for sure.

II Knucklez II
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5 6MT

nice, cant wait until i get mind

phobs

So in the end, the throw is much shorter but the actual shifter height remains the same?

Racingline

Correct the stock shifter remains at stock height, but the throw distance is approx 34% shorter

here is a pic of everything included in the kit.

As you can see it is a little more than just a piece of metal with 4 holes. there are a few pieces to the kit, as well as a mix of materials ( 6061 aluminum and 303 stainless steel)

Blackmobile

Perfect! now that i have a pic of the whole kit i can start making my own!

So when are these going to be available for purchase? or are they already? although i'm sure i'll wait for the GB for this one if there's going to be one that is.

Racingline

The shop has already been given the go ahead to start production. Everything should be ready in about 4 weeks, maybe sooner

mpbclutch33
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5L, 6-speed, Radiant Silver.

Racingline wrote:Correct the stock shifter remains at stock height, but the throw distance is approx 34% shorter

here is a pic of everything included in the kit.

As you can see it is a little more than just a piece of metal with 4 holes. there are a few pieces to the kit, as well as a mix of materials ( 6061 aluminum and 303 stainless steel)
Oh....... I see, thanks for the pics and explanation that really helped. Def. going to get one.

LinkNuc
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE Super Black 6MT, Loaded minus Moon Roof Deflector

OK so who's starting the GB thread?

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

mpbclutch33 wrote:If it just a bracket with 4 holes in it, why is it $120+?
haha wait til you rip through the gears, you would pay twice as much.
mcheddadi wrote:Precise engeneired super ingenious
Heck yeah, as i was installing the kit, i was like wow... Somebody is smart.

The angles are wild. The cable moves back 2 inches, and the pivot ball moves over to the right like 1.5 inches.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

LinkNuc wrote:OK so who's starting the GB thread?

Alt.ImaCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe

Racingline wrote:The shop has already been given the go ahead to start production. Everything should be ready in about 4 weeks, maybe sooner
Hey guys. I just installed my STS kit yesterday, and I have to say that it is the best money I've spent on my car so far. We've had a butt load of snow the past few days, so I haven't really been able to go at it hard, but it makes a huge difference in shifting the car. The install took me about 30 mins (due to my AEM intake), and was very easy.

You MT guys have GOT to get one of these.

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Since the shifting time is decreased the rpm's stay higher. When i slam it into gear the car launches now. even for my 2.5 it feels crazy...

Blackmobile

I'm getting pretty excited about my STS that i'm getting installed later today, can't wait to see the results. for the guys that have it installed does it help out with the clunky shifting at all? is it any smoother or just the same with shorter throw? I figure some better transmission fluid would help with the clunkiness but if the sts will help then it's a nice bonus

ESP

dldjros69 wrote:Since the shifting time is decreased the rpm's stay higher. When i slam it into gear the car launches now. even for my 2.5 it feels crazy...
^^ Yup! That's the first thing I noticed! Install was relatively easy too. Took me 40mins, 30 of which was spent trying to get the damn cable fitting off!

RobPaulson
Car: 2013 Subaru WRX

ESP wrote:
^^ Yup! That's the first thing I noticed! Install was relatively easy too. Took me 40mins, 30 of which was spent trying to get the damn cable fitting off!
Where do I get me one of these??

phobs

When Racingline offers the final product and hopefully introduces it with a GB

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

ESP wrote:30 of which was spent trying to get the damn cable fitting off!
Which part?

There better be a group buy - thats how we do it on nico.

What is this clunky shifting you are talking about?

Its pretty much the same tranny feeling just less time in between shifts. Amazing still but only the throw really changes.

ESP

The round socket that fits on the ball joint (the one that you were having problems with too!). The clip on the bracket gave me a bit of grief, but I found it more difficult to get it back on than to take it off!

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

The instructions say pry gently. They should have read - "use all the force you can".

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”