Shopping help plz

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Sentientbydesign wrote:
Actually, No. I don't think Infiniti would. There are a lot of "cheap" mods that improve power and decrease weight that they could have done, but they don't.

Obviously from the overwhelming reviews, Infiniti's grouding is comical.

CNCing balanced aluminum pulleys is more expensive and requires even more R&D to Infiniti than casting some steel.

Same goes for the exhaust. Sure they could have squeezed another 15HP out of the exhaust, but at the price of more R&D and a hell of a lot of sound (sound that the little old mexican lady driving the red G yesterday wouldn't have wanted).

Bolt-ons wouldn't be available if the manufacturers always maximized performance.
I googled lighter pulleys and then underdrive pulleys. There were several hits. the first of which is from a physics forum discussing the same issue.Here is the take of a physicist on the matter...

Quote »Less mass means faster acceleration. Less rotational mass means faster rotational acceleration. And since F=ma, the force required accelerate the pulley to the same speed would be less for a less massive pulley. The difference of a few ounces on your crank pulley isn't going to do anything at all, that isn't within the margin of error of ANY dynamometer. [/quote]Here is the take on pulleys without balancers on them...

Quote »(No balancers)..May be extremely dangerous to your engine. The underdrive pulleys that (name removed) sells are not harmonic balancers. Meaning, your engine may do things its not supposed to. Such as..., spin crank bearings.[/quote]

That' enough to steer me away from it even if it did work.

Save your money and your engine.

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Sentientbydesign wrote:
CNCing balanced aluminum pulleys is more expensive and requires even more R&D to Infiniti than casting some steel.
Don't you think the factory would have cast a smaller diameter crank pulley if they felt that the advantage outweighed the disadvantage? Maybe Infiniti didn't engineer the accessories to spin any slower than they do stock.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

rn79870 wrote:
Don't you think the factory would have cast a smaller diameter crank pulley if they felt that the advantage outweighed the disadvantage? Maybe Infiniti didn't engineer the accessories to spin any slower than they do stock.
I have no intentions on underdriving my accessories.

I'm going to make this car more powerful (to the wheels) and more fuel efficient (by means of aerodynamics and weight) than it currently is.

Think of it as Jacko's POV (G35s were meant to be modded) with a very specific direction.

If I didn't find the seats so comfortable, I'd probably rip them out for lighter ones too!!!

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”