Shopping for a Convertible! Questions

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Fmr12B
Car: 1999 Contour SVT

Test drove a '92 240SX SE White/Black 240 today. 1-owner 102K miles. Asking price $2,900, Will not go lower than $2500

Top was in great shape, hazy back window. Top went up & Down in seconds! Interior was also in great shape with one small crack in the console. Power windows were fine, all 4 worked great. All the white lettering was pretty much rubbed off the buttons. Aftermarket CD player and AC blew somewhat cold. Has rear spoiler, pop-up headlights worked great.

Tranny was great, held to 6000rpm before shifts and kicked down nicely on the highway.

Brakes seemed good as well, no noise when panic braking and held in a straight line with no shudder through the steering wheel.

Car is 100% stock.

This will be a 3rd car in the family, we've been shopping for 4-seater 'verts for a while now and stumbled upon this car today.

I drive a 99 Ford SVT Contour, bought new, modded to hell and the wifey wants a safe and sane 'vert she can roll around in as we have such great weather here in the bay area of Cali. I'm thinking Engine swap and Manual trans!

I've browsed the forums and answered many of my questions but I have a few more to the 'vert owners.

Reliability of Car?Problems to be aware of prior to purchase?What should I look for to ensure car is in reliable condition?Hows the asking price? Key was difficult to remove from ignition? Problem or common? fix?Drivers seat padding was flat, damn those seats suck!

Anything else you want to fill me in on?

Thanks guys! Carfax will be ran in the morning, will test drive again, go over any issues, then make an offer.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'll answer in rapid-fire:

Reliability? Bulletproof. Many 240sx's have 200K +, and they handle abuse quite well. Most 'verts are babied, and the interior panels are the weak point.

Problems? RUST. Check up inside the strut towers. If there's rust, run. Otherwise, sounds like you've covered everything, and sounds like a solid 'vert.

Good price. Most sell for $3500+. Mine was almost perfect and cost $3K, I've been told I "stole" it.

Key issue is common with these. Mine does it, you get so used to it it literally "goes away".

S13 seats DO suck. S14 seats are SOOO much nicer (looks and feel) and are a direct bolt in, relatively cheap too!

See my "How To" in the forum, I installed S14 seats in mine. Bart has an easy step-by-step manual trans swap article here, and can also walk you through an SR swap (for big HP gains).

Good luck, sounds like you may have found a winner!

p.s. Make sure the owner has the top boot - highly sought-after accessory!

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

The price sounds great! It's really hard to find one with no rust and no major accidents.

Definitely check the carfax just to make sure it's not been in a few major accidents or anything.

102k miles is very few! You should easily be able to get to 200+k.

The interiors were pretty poorly made, so if it's still in nice shape that's a huge bonus.

I would say for $2500, that's almost a no-brainer if the cars really in nice shape. You could easliy get $3500 for in it a few months when people start to get spring fever.

On Price.. anything less than $3500 is pretty good. I paid $1500 for mine... bad engine and rough interior, and I thought I stole it.

If you get it... We hope you will keep in touch with us here on the board.

Fmr12B
Car: 1999 Contour SVT

Well we agreed on a price of $2,700.

Looked at the exterior of the car today and found no imperfections. Looked underneath each wheel well and noted no rust in any of the strut areas. Its a California car and looks it.

I got to pick up the car at 3:30pm in about an hour with cash.

I am hopefully getting all car records next week.

Car also has keyless remote entry with a Clifford Alarm System on it.

Will defintiely remain stock for a while as the SO can not drive a stick and has no desire to learn, this will be the weekend car and I hope my daughter finds the backseat comfy.

No rips/tears in any of the seats from what i could tell as well. Owner says he does not have the top boot cover, well owner is the sick Unlce, Did the car get one new from the factory?

Will post pics this weekend!

I'll be shopping for new front buckets soon.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Nice deal.

I was planning a manual swap, but a boosted automatic is SO much more fun, so I'm gonna rebuild my automatic with a higher stall torque converter and go turbo.

You picked a winner, welcome to NICO!!!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”