Shock absorber rebuild kits available?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Dxta
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:52 pm
Car: Infiniti M45 sedan base sport

Shock absorber rebuild kits available?

Postby Dxta » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:44 am

My shocks are already leaking at the front and the rear.
The front shocks are stupidly scarce, and expensive, if found.

I'm trying to inquire here, if there are rebuild kits for sale anywhere I can order for, and rebuild my shocks myself, instead of replacing them? From the look of things, the seals inside the shocks plungers, are the ones worn, and hence the visual oil leaks seen outside on the stems of the shock abosbers.

Isn't it possible to disassemble the shock abosbers, and replace the internal seals, wash the shaft and piston, reoil the shock abosbers, and reseal back?

My car is an M45 2004/4.

Any links would be appreciated.


EniGmA1987
Posts: 2089
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:13 am
Car: '06 M35 Sport

Re: Shock absorber rebuild kits available?

Postby EniGmA1987 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:20 pm

I have not seen any rebuild kits, but I dont know much about the 2003-2004 models. You have a Y34 design. which are different than the normal Y50 and Y51 designs most cars here are.

I can only talk about what is available for Y50, and you will have to check and see if the Y34 uses the same models as the Y50 does. When getting new shocks and struts, many go for KYB brand shocks and have had good experience. Personally, I had a terrible experience with them as I felt that even when new the shocks felt bad, and one blew out its seals and broke completely within 2 months. I seem to be the only one with that experience though.
Others take the opportunity to upgrade to coilovers, as the price of a set is cheaper than a new set of OEM shocks and struts from the dealer. Most go with BC and they are currently the best quality coilovers you can get for these cars and for not much more expensive than the lowest end coilovers are.

LIBRILZ
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:17 pm
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Re: Shock absorber rebuild kits available?

Postby LIBRILZ » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:18 am

I replaced my front struts last year with the KYB ones. It's still too soft for my liking, especially considering I have an M45 sport. Apparently the KYB are 15% stiffer than the base model struts. They used to make struts for the sport but stopped unfortunately. So I guess these are a middle ground of sorts. They are holding up and working fine after about 10k miles though. I may look into coilovers from BC or Powertrix. I noticed you have the different model M45, so not sure how they rode and what not. Just detailing my experiences with replacement shocks.

cruzad3r
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:34 pm
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded
Location: CT

Re: Shock absorber rebuild kits available?

Postby cruzad3r » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:13 am

the problem with KYB is that they are shorter than OEM which affect your camber. I've had them on my Y50 for maybe 2-3 years and i had to swap out my upper and lower control arms. For suspension, my experience with USed parts aren't that great. it's down to how much do you want to spend versus how often do you want to refresh/replace your suspension.

Dxta
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:52 pm
Car: Infiniti M45 sedan base sport

Re: Shock absorber rebuild kits available?

Postby Dxta » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:20 pm
I have not seen any rebuild kits, but I dont know much about the 2003-2004 models. You have a Y34 design. which are different than the normal Y50 and Y51 designs most cars here are.

I can only talk about what is available for Y50, and you will have to check and see if the Y34 uses the same models as the Y50 does. When getting new shocks and struts, many go for KYB brand shocks and have had good experience. Personally, I had a terrible experience with them as I felt that even when new the shocks felt bad, and one blew out its seals and broke completely within 2 months. I seem to be the only one with that experience though.
Others take the opportunity to upgrade to coilovers, as the price of a set is cheaper than a new set of OEM shocks and struts from the dealer. Most go with BC and they are currently the best quality coilovers you can get for these cars and for not much more expensive than the lowest end coilovers are.
What do you mean by coil overs? Do the coil overs work as the stock shocks or how? Could explain and maybe if you got pictures too?
Thanks

EniGmA1987
Posts: 2089
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:13 am
Car: '06 M35 Sport

Re: Shock absorber rebuild kits available?

Postby EniGmA1987 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 am

Looks like BC does have coilovers for your model year:
https://coiloverdepot.com/collections/i ... -w-spindle
A lot more expensive than Y50 models sadly :(

Coilovers take the place of both the front strut and the front spring, in a coilover they are a single unit. Coilovers have height adjustments on them to change the height of the car, so you can raise or lower the car. Not while driving, you would need airbag suspension for that, but it is an easy process in a garage. Coilovers also have damping adjustments so that you can tune the stiffness feel of the suspension to your liking or for performance reasons.
db8f7231-6b2c-407c-894b-545a59157694_1024x1024.jpg
The front damping adjustment is accessible from the engine bay. The rears come with an extension thing that you drill a small hold in the interior of the trunk area and feed it through so you have damping adjustment ability without taking the whole shock off.





It looks like you can get a front strut replacement on Ebay for cheaper than a coilover kit replacing them all:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-NISSA ... e:Infiniti
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-NISSA ... e:Infiniti

LIBRILZ
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:17 pm
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Re: Shock absorber rebuild kits available?

Postby LIBRILZ » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:19 pm

cruzad3r wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:13 am
the problem with KYB is that they are shorter than OEM which affect your camber. I've had them on my Y50 for maybe 2-3 years and i had to swap out my upper and lower control arms. For suspension, my experience with USed parts aren't that great. it's down to how much do you want to spend versus how often do you want to refresh/replace your suspension.
That is because most of the aftermarket struts are for RWD cars, the AWD cars have a higher ride height and different strut part number.

Dxta
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:52 pm
Car: Infiniti M45 sedan base sport

Re: Shock absorber rebuild kits available?

Postby Dxta » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:59 am

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 am
Looks like BC does have coilovers for your model year:
https://coiloverdepot.com/collections/i ... -w-spindle
A lot more expensive than Y50 models sadly :(

Coilovers take the place of both the front strut and the front spring, in a coilover they are a single unit. Coilovers have height adjustments on them to change the height of the car, so you can raise or lower the car. Not while driving, you would need airbag suspension for that, but it is an easy process in a garage. Coilovers also have damping adjustments so that you can tune the stiffness feel of the suspension to your liking or for performance reasons.
db8f7231-6b2c-407c-894b-545a59157694_1024x1024.jpg
The front damping adjustment is accessible from the engine bay. The rears come with an extension thing that you drill a small hold in the interior of the trunk area and feed it through so you have damping adjustment ability without taking the whole shock off.





It looks like you can get a front strut replacement on Ebay for cheaper than a coilover kit replacing them all:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-NISSA ... e:Infiniti
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-NISSA ... e:Infiniti
Thanks so much for the links. Mehn, the shocks are extremely expensive (#1800) or so.
I wished I could get any model from 05+ that could fit in there.
Parts of this car are damm expensive. This is making me feel like selling the car right now.


Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”