shifting problems

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
poormansdatsun
Car: 1982 datsun 720

I just changed the clutch on my 1982 datsun 720 because my clutch was getting pretty soft. While i was at it i changed the clutch master slave cylinder and the lower slave cylinder as well. Now my problem is i cant get it to shift into gear, it just grinds. I bled the clutch again, and still the same problem.. I thought maybe it was the new clutch but when i start the truck with it in gear and the clutch down it starts and doesnt jolt forward at all. And the clutch tool fits the old clutch just fine. The only thing i didnt change out of the whole clutch system is the clutch fork and throw out bearing because they didnt seem worn. I could really use any help i can get on this. I dont have the money to put it in a shop. And cant come up with anymore solutions.

busterone
Car: 1984 720 pickup
1994 Nissan Sentra

I had a lot of trouble bleeding the clutch on my 84 720 after I rebuilt the master and slave cylinders. There is a little pressure regulating valve unit on the firewall on the passenger side. The clutch line runs through it before it goes to the slave cylinder. The trick is to bleed it there first, then go below and bleed the slave. That worked for me but it still felt spongy to me, so I got some brake line unions and took it the regulator out of the system completely by just coupling the the line from the master to the line from the slave, bypassing the regulator. My clutch works great without it.

Return to “Datsun 720”