Shifting problems

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
D-3vil

I'd first like to start by saying hello to everybody, as I'm new to this board.

I purchased a '93 240SX about 2 weeks ago, and I'm still in the beginning stages of figuring this all out (right now I'm happy if my car continues to function the way it has so far).

But, as of yesterday, I've been noticing a slight pinch in the shifter when I shift into 2nd and 3rd. It's almost like a very subtly grind. I suspect the clutch cable needs to be tightened or something of that nature, but I'm not entirely sure. Should I check hydraulic oil levels and all?

The problem does not occur if I double clutch whenever I shift up. I've also not noticed it occuring when I shift down, but then again, I always double clutch for that.

Thanks for your anticipated help.

777aaron
Car: race cars

Sound like you possibly have some worn synchros in your tranny.Check the fluid level in the resivior,and try changing your trannys gear oil,I reccomend a shockproof synthetic like redline.

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

It may be something as simple as air in your clutch fluid lines (there is no cable). One thing you might try is to bleed the clutch at the slave cylinder (located on the transmission) and at the junction box (bolted to the frame under the passanger side, just follow the line from the slave cylinder back). If this doesnt help, im thinking you may have one of two problems: 1)like 777aaron said, maybe worn synchros, or 2) your throwout bearing is wearing out. I would rather have a worn out throwout bearing only because i have changed my clutch before, so i know what im doing now, rather than worn synchros, as that would require disassembling the transmission. Hope this helped.

D-3vil

Thank you for your input. I went to my mechanic today, and after driving the car, he suggested changing the transmission oil, add some additive which he swears by (forgot the name), and if that doesn't work, try to adjust the clutch height, as that might be the problem. All I'm hoping now is that I won't have to replace anything.

TampaDriver
Car: Cars

I have the same problem except mine was working perfect untill I changed the tarany fluid...I put highperformance oil in there and now it shifts like ****...I wonder if that is the cause..

777aaron

Thats really weird,please don't take this the wrong way because I deffinitely do not wan't to insult you ,it is only because I have seen people do some really "off the wall" stuff before ,but you did'nt do something like put auto fluid in a stick car or vice versa did you?Just a thought.:)

TampaDriver

I don't think I would be posting the qtn on this forum if I was that stupid to put engine oil in the transy!!!

pancito
Car: CARS!!!

>>>I was that stupid to put engine oil in the transy!!!

well dude, he didn't mean engine oil, he meant auto tranny oil in a manual tranny, or viceversa, or at least that is what I UNDERSTAND...

and being stupid about it, how about putting tranny oil IN THE MOTOR!!!! my gf did it in MY car :chainsaw go figure...

vududoc
Car: drag drift autox

does it feel like youre trying to cram the stick through a smaller slot? Do you get locked out of your gears? Do you sometimes have to work it into gear?

if so and everything else checks out it probably is something engine related. Not to bust your bubble. (i have the same problem)

777aaron

Hey TampaDriver,maybe you did'nt see the part that said I did not want to insult you,but I guess that you missed that part or did'nt care one.Anyway,like pancito said I was trying to ask you if you put automatic transmission fluid in a stick shift "TRANSY".I have no idea where you came up with engine oil,as my post said absoutely nothing about that.Everybody does stupid stuff every once in a while and we are here to learn from one another and enjoy each others company and try to help if we are able,not to insult,put down,or call each other stupid,WHICH IS NOT WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DO. :( laterP.S. hey pancito,my girl put STOP LEAK made for a radiator in the engine cause her car was leaking oil so don't feel bad:)

Emperor

lol, sorry guys but thats funny. Sounds like you need to keep your girlfriends away from cars. Im glad mine stays away. Hope all turns out for the best :cool:

777aaron

I told her she is only alowed to put gas in the car now and not to touch anything else,knowing my luck she'll go and put deisel in there or something lol.

TampaDriver

No big deal 777aron, just try to keep your post simple for future reference. By the way I just fixed the problem on my transy. It had little too much oil. When I filled the new oil, the car was jacked up from the front which pulled the oil to the back and the transy seemed to take more oil. It drives pretty smooth now....

777aaron

Glad to hear that everything worked out for the good.I usally do mine when my car is up on a lift,I hate climbing under cars on a jack.

av8mech240sx
Car: Flyin', Fixin' and Drivin'

I had troubles shifting too. Found out the clip on the arm came off and the arm was riding cocked sideways on the throw out bearing and catching on the side of the tranny case. My car is now in pieces in the car port for the rest of this week. The big kicker was when the bearing end came apart in my hands after I got it all apart. Almost ended up losing my clutch. Good thing I decided to take it apart.

av8mech240sx
Car: Flyin', Fixin' and Drivin'

777aaron wrote:I usally do mine when my car is up on a lift,I hate climbing under cars on a jack.

I know that one! Most spooky times of my life have been under something on a jack. My boss had a twin engine airplane come off jacks on top of him. Lucky he didn't die. I thought I was going to have the car come off the jacks yesterday pulling the tranny. *cringe*

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”