shifting problem!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
xjon
Car: 99XJ, 93 240coupe

Manual tranny with 130K miles on it. Just replaced the clutch and flywheel 5000 miles ago with Fidanza and Spec II. Been shifting fine but now I have some grind going to 3rd if its above 4K rpm. It's very similar to shifting into 1st while still rolling. It will grind but still goes in. Tried 4th and 5th and it's just fine.

Any suggestions? Whole tranny going bad?

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

xjon wrote:Manual tranny with 130K miles on it. Just replaced the clutch and flywheel 5000 miles ago with Fidanza and Spec II. Been shifting fine but now I have some grind going to 3rd if its above 4K rpm. It's very similar to shifting into 1st while still rolling. It will grind but still goes in. Tried 4th and 5th and it's just fine.

Any suggestions? Whole tranny going bad?

Nissan transmissions are known for their bad 3rd gear syncros. Try putting some lucas transmission lube in it, great stuff. Good for older engines too :)

xjon

Thanks, "god" who drives a 240,

I know about the harder 3rd and I've experienced it before. But this just started and its doing it at every shift higher than 4000 rpm.

I would really like to fix the problem instead of just adding an oil additive. Does that mean I need newer synchros and/or gears? Is it time to rebuild the tranny?

Any more suggestions, greatly appreciated!

CireNow

I once had a similar problem in a turbo DSM. The weak/worn engine/tranny mounts were the cause. The tranny would twist at higher power, moving where I thought the gear was. Check your mounts.

CireNow93' fastback

xjon

Thanks Cire,

But just on 3rd gear though?

I might as well replace the mounts. Any good ideas on aftermarket mounts?

TIA

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

xjon wrote:Thanks, "god" who drives a 240,

I know about the harder 3rd and I've experienced it before. But this just started and its doing it at every shift higher than 4000 rpm.

I would really like to fix the problem instead of just adding an oil additive. Does that mean I need newer synchros and/or gears? Is it time to rebuild the tranny?

Any more suggestions, greatly appreciated!

Well, I suppose you could replace the syncros, but I'm sure that would have you walking boe-legged for a while. You could change your trans fluid and put in redlyne/redline. It's a higher grade synthetic, and I've heard/read where it would solve the grinding problem. Once again though you're just treating the cause and not fixing it.

Hope that helps you out :yesnod

goodluck

xjon

Just found an old thread which talks about the same stuff. Their problem was either too much or too little oil. First thing I have to do is to check the level.

Thanks!

faTTZo

Hey I don't know if the same is true for the 240 but Redline MT-90 tranny oil fixes MK3 Supras grinding trannys. This is fairly well known on the MK3Supra boards since we are cheap (broke) bastards. I have never put a drop of any miracle stuff in my car but I personally used redline in my Supra and it completely stopped grinding gearing up or down. Before it was grinding worse than you describe. Worth a shot if nothing else easy helps.

Zaxx84

I have 170,000 miles on mine (original clutch too), and I have the same problem, only it happens into 5th most often, and sometimes into 3rd. I was worried about it until I decided to do the SR20 swap. Hopefully it holds up until then...

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”