Shift linkage/transmission 1982 Datsun Diesel

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
shiftlinkage
Car: 1982 datsun diesel pickup

I have what I believe is a broken floor stick shift linkage and possibly a jammed transmission as well(stuck in first gear and stick shift flops around freely) on my 1982 diesel Datsun pickup. I am wondering if a transmission and specifically the shift linkage(because I would like to fix that first in hopes that my transmission is not jammed) from the gasoline models will fit on the diesel engine model. Any advice would be helpful thanx.

waynosworld

Have you pulled your shift lever off to see if the finger at the bottom of the shift lever is broken?
You can use a longshaft transmission from a gas truck, but you have to put the front diesel case on it.
If your shift lever is good, your going to have to pull the transmission anyway, so pull it apart and find out what is wrong with it.
I am not a writer, but I wrote this article about taking the front case off one of these transmissions and putting another case on, it will work for you also.
http://www.nwdatsuns.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=72

Return to “Datsun 720”