Sheriff plugs Twitter

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
bigbadberry3

Are you kidding me.

I'm watching the news on the shooting in Oregon.

The Sheriff says to follow him on the Twitter feed.

Are you kidding me. Why would you not just release information as a professional?

Thoughts and prayers out to the friends and families of those impacted.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

Ive heard of this before, don't have a problem with it as a "value added" sorta thing, but ya the good ol professional channels of information should be respected as well, in my opinion anyway

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

bigbagberry, i know your a libby, and libbies tend to hate authority, but in this case your way off. i dont use twitter, as i think its worthless for the every day citizen.
the feds have twitter and release active info as its happening, for many types of situations. waiting to gather a camera crew and PC speech takes to much time. during sandy, the feds were relaying really important info and people reacted appropriately.

let me ask you this: whats so unprofessional about twitter? just because a bunch of dorks are on there and talking ish every day, doesnt mean a chief or any police official delivering important info via twitter is on the same level as the "twits" tweeting every 15mins.

is a chief or sheriff not supposed to drive a car, because numb-nuts like this exist?:

bigbadberry3

Besides simply not liking it, I don't find it very functional if you aren't familiar with it.

What ordinary citizen would be following the sheriff or even posses a twitter account?

I'd rather a text than a tweet ,but I am for immediate release of any information about safety.

stebo0728

bigbadberry3 wrote:Besides simply not liking it, I don't find it very functional if you aren't familiar with it.

What ordinary citizen would be following the sheriff or even posses a twitter account?

I'd rather a text than a tweet ,but I am for immediate release of any information about safety.
I think you'd find, Twitter is about as "immediate release" as it gets. As I said before, I like it as a "value added" sorta thing. But the official chains of information release should be used as well ASAP for the old fogies who don't use social media.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Hell, even my gnome tweets.
https://twitter.com/madsangrygnome

stebo0728

I just really don't have a problem with law enforcement using social media, with 2 caveats:

1. There are still old people - we can't drop the old school news delivery just yet

2. As with conventional media, social media should refrain from specificity until all involved parties are briefed (i.e. victim names not released until family is notified)

With those 2 things respected, I think social media can add benefit to law enforcement chain of information.

It also makes future coverups a bit harder, details shared over social media tend to be tough to redact.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

bigbadberry3 wrote:Are you kidding me. Why would you not just release information as a professional?
I know, right?
https://mobile.twitter.com/BarackObama

Return to “Politics Etc.”