Sheesh, four more years for the Jag X-type

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
Jesda

Edmunds wrote:Baby Jag Will Have to Struggle to 2009, and May Not be Replaced

Date Posted 04-19-2005

COVENTRY, England — Jaguar isn't going to kill off the slow-selling X-Type just yet. But when the car runs out in 2009, it might not be replaced.

Mark Fields, executive vice president of Ford's Premier Automotive Group, said Jaguar is still working out what to do: "We have not started thinking about what to do with the next-generation X-type," he said. "We have some other fish to fry in terms of product planning."

In 2009, by which time the X-type will be eight years old, Jaguar might retire the X-Type badge and replace it with another nameplate. Other Jaguar insiders believe the company might exit the near-luxury segment altogether and position the brand further upscale, closer to Bentley territory, leaving Volvo as Ford's BMW-and-Audi rival.

The X-type was launched in Europe in spring 2001 and the U.S. in fall 2001. But the car has never come close to its stated goal of 100,000 annual global sales. Bolstered by diesel and wagon variants, European sales grew last year to 38,343 vehicles, but U.S. sales slumped to 21,543 compared with a peak year of 33,018 in 2002.

What this means to you: If you want an affordable Jag, the X-Type will probably be your only hope.
I like the X-type enough, but:1) Its not a Jag.2) Its not a Jag.3) Its not a Jag.4) Its not a Jag.5) Its not a Jag.

And its overpriced compared to the competition, worse when you factor in options. Since the X hit the market, Jag loyalty went from 87% to 40%.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I feel sorry for all those people who go to that Jaguar dealership, pay for a jaguar, and leave with a Taurus.

Meantime

X-type has been plagued by reliability issues also. 2009 is WAY too long to keep that model in production, what are they thinking?

Jesda

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I feel sorry for all those people who go to that Jaguar dealership, pay for a jaguar, and leave with a Taurus.
Hey now, its a Mondeo!

I -guess- if there's a positive, its that the X made up 50% of Jag sales for a while. The division could use all the help it gets -- something has to pay for the awesome aluminum beauty that is the XJ sedan. At least they aren't pondering an SUV.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

A friend has one. Its absolutely decadent inside and very quiet. The AWD is a plus especially up here. The handling is to Jag standards-luxo sport . Like a lot of British vehicles its got some electrical and accessory glitches. I like the front of it better than the S-type. Its more reminscent of the current Jag family resemblance.

Before Jag was owned by Ford, or any British mark owned by a foreign maker or even an European manufacturer, it wasn't uncommon to have a production run of a european vehicle for 10 or more years. The outside loooked the same, but the engineering improved inside. GM introduced the "disposable" car and the concept of guerrila hype hysteria to promote ane sell a vehicle. Look at where are they now.

I don't understand the "Mondeo" comparisons. Nissan also dips pedestrian vehicles in "gold" and rebrands them Infiniti. Look at the FX/Murano, 130/Maxima, G35 coupe/350Zx, Pathfinder/QX4, Pathfinder Armada/QX56. Why shouldn't Ford do the same?

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

they're meh.

I haven't cared for new jags really...other then the XK.

Jesda

Jaguar isn't an upscale version of a lesser brand, as Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti often are. When the S and X type first hit the market, the interiors were terrible. Loyalists complained and Ford stepped up.

driverdriver

When Ford originally acquired Jaguar, it was faced with a decision. Either go further upmarket and become a "niche" marquee brand like a Porsche with limited production, an older consumer base likely in its final buying cycle and unprofitable limited production which may or may not ensure Jaguars survival or expand its line-up, using the mystique of the marquee and go for a younger well'heeled demographic with multiple buy cycles left by expanding its lineup thus ensuring the survival of the Jag marquee. Like a lot of automakers, the analysts/strategusts at Ford/Jaguar saw the promise that the "near luxury' market might bring. The majority of the cars that compete in the "near luxury" end of the spectrum are spin offs of pedestrian home market vehicles except for BMW and Mercedes. But it can be argued that BMW and Mercedes are pedestrian vehicles in their own home market and they only carry cache abroad. Go anywhere in Germany, Belgium, Switzerland or Luxembourg and you'll see new BMW/MB vehicles of all series pressed in everyday use, from police, fire, ambulance, to city maintenence vehicles and taxi's. They are as common as Cavaliers and Civics.

Mr1der

it's a toughy for Ford...they hate killing old lines off...especially Prestigous ones.

look at Mercury...worthless....

they need to let Jag be more independent. and make a killer XLR....with a freakin' manual in it...god...it could borrow stuff from Aston Martin even!

BB Turbo
Car: 2007 Nissan Titan KC, 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

mmmm...aluminum

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The XJ220 is one of the most ignored supercars ever made.And it's dead sexy.

Mr1der

crap...I can't remember the name of the old jag roadster now...it rocked

XJ6? nah...damnit...this is annoying me....

early 60's car...

driverdriver

The 80's had the XJS coupe which was very nice but had a lot of electrical issues.

There is a supercharged XJR sedan, that I've driven and nearly traded the J for a few years ago. That's one very fast car.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Just drop a twin turbo and 5 speed and then tell me the J isnt as fun as the XJR

BB Turbo
Car: 2007 Nissan Titan KC, 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Sort of on topic

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Mr1der wrote:crap...I can't remember the name of the old jag roadster now...it rocked

XJ6? nah...damnit...this is annoying me....

early 60's car...
XKE. E-type, XK powerplant. 3.8 liter straight six. My dad had one when he was in his 20's. Said it'd lay patches like nothing else. He also said they had to fully tear down, fix, and replace the transmission every few weeks.

Return to “Others”