Setup Suggestions

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
2fast4j00
Car: cars, clubs, chix, computers

I plan on putting a rb25det in a 1990 240sx and I will have about 8 grand left after the motor swap. I want to hit at least 11's on street tires. What turbo setup should I go for? I found JE forged pistons for $825 and a set of 6 Pauter Forged 4340 Con Rods for $1175.00. Is this a pretty good deal? How much hp would the engine be able to withstand before I would have to resleeve it? What fuel system should I upgrade to? Any suggestions with a setup I should go with would defiently be appreciated.

Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

Well don't forget engine managment! And i don't think you need to sleeve a RB, isn't it cast iron? Its alluminum blocks that you need to sleeve like the SR and hondas, etc...

I maybe wrong on that, i only know what i've read!

Redline

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

The motor is iron blocked... so you will most likely never have to resleeve the motor. I would opt for Arias pistons over the JE's but thats my personal preference. Always get overbores, even the "stock" bores are usually 20-over. This requires you to rebore the block for a clean wall surface. If you got the money you could always opt for coated pistons. Coating the crown with a high-temp ceramic coating will protect the crown from excessive heat. It also will reflect some of the heat energy which will not only create a potential for more power but greater turbo response as well. For a turbo I'd opt with a GT3037 turbo or something similar. They have excellent power potential and the turbo will spool well being BB and being fed by the RB25. In fact, I can get you a used one for $1500 in great condition.

For the fuel system I'd opt for some 720cc injectors to ensure that you have enough fuel for the motor. This will more than cover the output of the RB with the GT3037 turbo. I'd run a 315 lph T-Rex pump w/ a inline Walbro to provide ample pressure. Stainless fuel lines would be nice as well, I'm not 100% sure that the 240SX lines are large enough to support that kind of power. Using stainless lines will make the fitment of the inline fuel pump easier anyways. Grab yourself an aeromotive fuel pressure regulator as well.

If you wanted, I could fab you a stainless manifold to mount the GT3037 turbo to which would improve exhaust flow considerably over the stock cast unit. You'll need a manifold either way cause the turbo is externally wastegated.

Dont forget a headgasket, cooling, and oiling. Last thing you want to do is overlook something and blow up the motor.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”