Setting up coilover preload

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
CalS13
Car: 89 240sx coupe

I recently bought a used set of Moonface coilovers and they were shipped to me with the springs loose to keep the perch from seizing up. So my question is how mutch should I tighten the spring seat? I don't want to over-compress the springs and ruin the coils and I don't want to under tighten. The seller said hand tight should be fine but that just dosent feel right to me. Please any help is appreciated. Thanks. BTW these are for an s13 8k front 9k rear. Pretty sure that's right

S133P3R
Car: 1989 S13 240sx

I also heard that having the lower perch rings tight to the point where the spring can barely spin is 0 pre load. Don't really know how precise that is...

CalS13
Car: 89 240sx coupe

I think I'll get it to where the spring is seated on the perch and dosent move I hope that's okay

drifter_for_life06
Car: Daily: '16 WRX
Toys: '92 RPS13 400whp
Exocet

adjust the collars so that the spring is not loose(has zero vertical movement) and that is 0-preload. If you feel the need to, you can tighten it up more to run more preload, but me personally I run 0. I like to get as much travel as possible. Hence why adjusting ride height with the brackets rather than the springs is ideal.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”