Service Engine Soon Light: P1447 EVAP Purge Flow problem

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
97Qx4

First time poster on this board. I drive a 1997 Infiniti QX4 that has 112K miles on it, is in immaculate condition cosmetically and has received a clean bill of health mechanically by three different mechanics. The problem is the "Service Engine Soon" light appeared about 2 months ago. I took it to my mechanic who had the canister replaced, but the light came back on after about two days when the computer reset. My mechanic explained that nothing was wrong with the car, but that due to California's strict emissions standards, the presence of the light itself would result in a failed smog test. I have since taken it to two independent mechanics who weren't able to diagnose the root cause of the problem. The dealership ran a diagnostic on the problem and also weren't able to drill down to the specific root cause of the problem, but recommended replacement of 10 parts totaling over $1,300 including a one-year warranty and 9 hours of labor @ $150/hour for a whooping total of over $2,600. They stated that their diagnosis was based on Nissan bulletin 0062-A. I'm not very knowledgable about cars, but this diagnosis appeared extremely excessive. Further, it was also explained that this is a relatively common problem with Nissan/Infiniti SUV's due to faulty parts on older models. An independent Nissan qualified mechanic believed that only 4 of the 10 parts were needed and believed he could fix the problem for $700. My dillemma is that if the problem was not fixed, there is no warranty protection. Would welcome and appreciate any suggestions from the board, or owners with similar experiences as I really can not afford the dealerships price tag, but also don't want to pay $700 for repairs if the problem is not fixed. Surprised that Nissan/Infiniti do not have a campaign for this as it sounds as though this problem is wide-spread amongst these models.

brent6017
Car: 1997 Infiniti QX4

I have a 97 QX4 with the same problem, same dilemma. I am not sure I trust my local dealer to diagnose it properly. This seems like a typical problem on this car. I just bought mine a week ago, and it is a creampuff with only 52k on it, but has this annoying SES light and same code.

alexandertg

Had the same issue with both of my I30s. Finally figured that it was the original battery. Replaced it and the error code never came back.

Was later told by a mechanic that most nissan/infinitis had bad grounding points. And some of the EVAP (+other system) were sensitive to voltage drops.

Both times I've gotten this error code, I was driving at highway speed, over 90 + stereo on + GPS + Ipod + subwoofer. heavy load for the alternator + battery.

elmer_208
Car: 1999 Nissan Quest SE

I have a nissan quest se 1999, suddenly it has an error 1447, it happened twice in the morning at 5am, when I am accelerating at least 65mph in the freeway. Is there any idea for what is happening to my van, before to dig deeper to fix it ?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

elmer_208 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:37 pm
I have a nissan quest se 1999, suddenly it has an error 1447, it happened twice in the morning at 5am, when I am accelerating at least 65mph in the freeway. Is there any idea for what is happening to my van, before to dig deeper to fix it ?
You should post your issue in the Quest section.
But that code can be several things, Take a look in the FSM starting on page EC-403
nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=Quest/1999/ec.pdf

Chances are that the evap canister purge valve solenoid is faulty and you can get an aftermarket one
for around $30 or less.

EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve stuck closed
EVAP control system pressure sensor and the circuit
Loose, disconnected or improper connection of rubber tube
Blocked rubber tube
Cracked EVAP canister
EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve circuit
Closed throttle position switch
Blocked purge port
Closed throttle position switch

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”