Service Engine Soon light: EGR Valve

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
David412
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 3.0L SOHC

Vehicle: 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE [3.0L SOHC]

The service engine soon (SES) light came on a few weeks ago and I've been trying to determine and fix the cause of this light till this day, but still no sucess.

I went to Autozone and they told me I needed to replace the EGR valve. I bought a Hitachi EGR valve and replaced it (7 days ago), the SES light never went away. I then went and bought a Throttle Body cleaner and cleaned the TB, I drove it around for about 100 miles and the SES is still on.

Could it be the O2 sensor even though the code never read that unit to be the cause of the SES? Please advice.

New forum user in distress.

Thank you,

David

LayNLow240
Car: 92 240 coupe

reset the ecu and see if the code comes back. do this by taking off the positive and negative cables from the battery for 15-20 mins. then if the code comes back you missed something.

David412
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 3.0L SOHC

I reset the ECU, but the SES light came back on after about 20 miles of driving. I went to Autozone and the code is still saying EGR valve. What do you think I have missed?

kenji_senpai
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx SE

You could have vacuum failure from the bypass valve that's connected to it. It causes EGR function to fail.

cmfireman
Car: '96 Nissan S14 SE

kenji_senpai wrote:You could have vacuum failure from the bypass valve that's connected to it. It causes EGR function to fail.
Ditto. I was having the same problem and replaced the BPT valve (right beside the EGR), and the light went off.

I suggest downloading an FSM and reading the flowchart for engine code errors. Even though Autozone says its the EGR valve, there are many thing that could cause it not to work properly and create a false reading. The FSM tells you exactly what to do step by step.

boriquaS13
Car: 92 240sx

What exact code is it?

Garytb2
Car: 1999 Maxima

Will a exhaust leak cause the problem? I have the same problem with my 1999 Max I replaced the EGR Valve twice and still get a P0400 code!!

qsheikhg
Car: 2001 maxima & 2003 altima

Hi there,I am having the same problem with P0403 code, what is a BPT valve? let me change that and see if it works.Thank you

psmwrx

check to see if the egr solenoid valve is working

PlsHelpHer
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima

My check service engine soon light is still on after replacing the EGR Value as Auto Zone & Advanced Auto recommented. Any suggestions? :confused:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I'm no expert on that subject, but you can download the factory service manual from my signature. There also might be a technical service bulletin out for that specific problem, which should tell you what to replace. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks, and that the EGR tube itself doesn't have any blockage in it.

Buckshot

I would look at the egr tube I bet it is clogged up most of the time you can open the throole plate and look at it and see the blockage but just remove the tube and clean it out and that will probably cure the egr code

csmith5888
Car: 11 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR

sounds similar to some issues ive read about....have you tried an idle re-learn??

Give this a go...

1) Start the engine and get it to "warm up" temperature.
2) Turn the car ignition key to "OFF"
3) Wait ten seconds - USE A STOPWATCH
4) Turn the key to "ON" (not start)
5) Wait three seconds. - USE A STOPWATCH
6) Fully press and release the gas pedal 5 times within five seconds. - USE A STOPWATCH
7) Wait 7 seconds from the last of the 5 seconds above - USE A STOPWATCH
8) Fully press the gas pedal and hold down. Within ten seconds the "Service Engine Soon" light should begin to blink.
9) Wait another ten seconds (while still holding the gas pedal) and the "Service Engine Soon" light should stop blinking.
10) As soon as it stops blinking, release the pedal, start the car
11) Let the car idle for about 25 seconds, rev the engine a few times and then let it return to idle.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”